Cool take on “Sultans of Swing”

Perfect.

I always wondered why a tune about a jazz combo playing in a club didn't sound more like, y'know, a jazz combo playing in a club. Why it mentions horns and doesn't have any horns.

The answer, of course, is: Because it sounds like Dire Straits, which is awesome.

So, I wouldn't trade away the original, but it's cool to have this version, too.

Perfect.

I always wondered why a tune about a jazz combo playing in a club didn't sound more like, y'know, a jazz combo playing in a club. Why it mentions horns and doesn't have any horns.

Sadly enough the live version does have horns. Not the one on Alchemy, which is perfection, but on subsequent tours Mark added a saxophone solo, and it annoys the shit out of me. Totally ruins the song for. Not because its a sax, cause a sax can be cool. Bluesbrothers fan for life! It just ruins the flow of the song and the awesome guitar end solo.[/QUOTE]

Sadly enough the live version does have horns. Not the one on Alchemy, which is perfection, but on subsequent tours Mark added a saxophone solo, and it annoys the shit out of me. Totally ruins the song for. Not because its a sax, cause a sax can be cool. Bluesbrothers fan for life! It just ruins the flow of the song and the awesome guitar end solo.
Interesting. I've never heard anything about that.

I can easily imagine a sax solo being unhelpful. The problem is that the feel of the existing tune just doesn't lend itself to that. Its feel is an utterly-wrong basis for the kind of jazz soloing described in its lyrics. "Sultans of Swing" is not, to put it in a nutshell, even a little bit similar to "Your Latest Trick" (where the sax solo is not merely fitting, but glorious).

By contrast, the "Sultans of Jazz" cover is a perfect foundation for sax soloing precisely because the feel of the tune is properly adapted.

I guess the lesson is:
You can make a song that lyrically talks about jazz while, ironically, not being jazzy;
or,
You can make a song that lyrically talks about jazz and which, fittingly, is also jazzy;
but,
You can't make a song that isn't jazzy, try to put the wrong solo over it, and somehow make it work merely because the lyrics mention jazz.

I do wonder why people obsess so much over the songs lyrics compared to the rock feel of the song. Because its about a bunch of jazz musicians doesn't mean it has to be a jazz song. Dire Straits was a rock band, Mark Knopfler, who used to be a journalist, writes lyrics about things he observes. He probably saw a band like the Sultans of Swing play for an empty room and wrote some lyrics about it. I reckon it doesn't go any deeper or more meta then that. We got a great song out of it. And now a cool jazz cover as well.

As for the different live versions, here's some vids. Alchemy version:

1992 version:

Now that I hear it its both the new piano and sax arrangements that just don't do it for me.

I guess if I could play that good I could justify a sweet guitar like that ;)o_O
That is such a great song Mark Knopfler is such an awesome artist.

Back
Top Bottom