Cool combination of Ipad apps = fun for hours

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
Audiobus with
input: chordbot pro/Axe fx II
output: Auria Daw

chordbot pro reminds me of band in a box, where you can put in any chords and assign it a style kind of and create an instant backing track of chords of your choice.

Auria is a professional level Daw that has tons of functions. It has some issues but seems better then most I have tried on the Ipad.

Audiobus is a way of connecting different apps together, it seems like more apps are being added all the time.

this will definitely kill a bunch of hours, if you have time to kill on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

IMAGE_7703589A-7D51-430D-A87A-6086A0A1B58A.PNG

Last edited:
Audiobus is an absolute KILLER app for the iPad... It has really taken iPad recording to the next level. Try it with Animoog, KORG iMS20 etc. and blend multiple iPad instruments into one...

Here is a sample with about 5 different iPad sound generating apps into the iPad MultiTrack DAW...

Just found out that Figure is now Audiobus compatible too - looking forward to mixing some figure riffs alongside Animoog soon...

Audiobus is an absolute KILLER app for the iPad... It has really taken iPad recording to the next level. Try it with Animoog, KORG iMS20 etc. and blend multiple iPad instruments into one...

Here is a sample with about 5 different iPad sound generating apps into the iPad MultiTrack DAW...

Just found out that Figure is now Audiobus compatible too - looking forward to mixing some figure riffs alongside Animoog soon...

Thats really cool. Yeah, I have been playing with it all day. I know you reviewed Auria and cubasis, do you still think that cubasis is better?

Thats really cool. Yeah, I have been playing with it all day. I know you reviewed Auria and cubasis, do you still think that cubasis is better?

I still put Cubasis ahead by a nose, mainly because I like the workflow a bit better. Also, I like that it comes with some loops etc. that makes starting a track from scratch a little easier. I think if you are recording a set multi-track piece with a band etc., then Auria would fit the bill a lot better, but for home composing and experimenting, I would turn to Cubasis. I think Cubasis sits nicely in between Garageband at the lower end and Auria at the high end.

Cubasis also seems to have SOME of the functionality that Auria provides as 'in app' purchases. I have no doubt that the Auria add ons are higher quality and give you more breadth, but I am not a fan of the 'in app' purchase model, especially when it is not mentioned in the promotional website etc. that what you are seeing on screen is not just the base app, but with all the extra cost add ons - which can quickly turn a $50 app into a $200+ one.

Still, I might do my next iPad recording using Auria just to see if I can settle into a good workflow pattern.

Do you have the latest generation iPad? Seems that they recommend the latest generation as this combination is pretty resource hungry...

I have an Ipad 3 and have Had only a couple issues With memory and that was because of the convolution reverb plugin, it uses room irs, and it's pretty offensive when it comes to memory. What's great about auria is that it has a cpu and memory meter, so you can manage pretty well. But what I've really been impressed with is ChordBot Pro, it's a killer application, letting you create songs or backing tracks to riff over and then use audiobus to get it into a track in Auria. I have literally been playing with it all day.

Scott - have to thank you for the heads up on ChordBot ! What a great app, and a great way to compose songs by exploring how chords work with each other.

I used to use PolyChord for this, but I think ChordBot is another step up from that...

Scott - have to thank you for the heads up on ChordBot ! What a great app, and a great way to compose songs by exploring how chords work with each other.

I used to use PolyChord for this, but I think ChordBot is another step up from that...

Cool, I'm glad you like it. I remember when I was younger and I had Band in a box, I would play with that for hours on end. I hope in a couple years he improves on it and makes it even better. I wish he had a forum, so you could swap songs with other people. If you get a good groove going you can play for hours over it. I'm going to look into polychord I like different options.

Scott -

What are you using as an interface for physical input/output on the iPad? I have a gen 4 unit that I would love to try this on, but imagine it takes some actual interface to get guitar/etc. into it.

Thanks!

Pete

Scott -

What are you using as an interface for physical input/output on the iPad? I have a gen 4 unit that I would love to try this on, but imagine it takes some actual interface to get guitar/etc. into it.

Thanks!

Pete

You could use an irig( don't remember the price, the worst sounding because of crosstalk), Apogee jam Great unit($100), Presonus 1818vsl if you want more then one track record at a time. what I have been using amongst those are a little art dual pre which has a battery, so it's self powered. So in actuality its pretty easy. If you are interested in Auria which is a killer Daw, go to their site they have links to Devices that work. Its fun to learn a different way of recording. Check out the links and get lost, it's fun.

Auria by WaveMachine Labs - HOME
Chordbot - A songwriting tool / electronic backup band for Android & iOS
Audiobus: Live, app-to-app audio.

Scott -

I did try the Line6 interface for about a week - seemed to defeat the purpose of the iPad (mobility) - wires going in, wires going out, headphones, and a guitar cable made me want to go downstairs to the real studio! I felt like I was literally entangled. I guess there's probably no getting around that for iPad recording, right?

Pete

Scott -

I did try the Line6 interface for about a week - seemed to defeat the purpose of the iPad (mobility) - wires going in, wires going out, headphones, and a guitar cable made me want to go downstairs to the real studio! I felt like I was literally entangled. I guess there's probably no getting around that for iPad recording, right?

Pete

Lol, yeah Im a afraid there will always be cords. I think the challenge is to see if you can learn another workflow, on a different device. I know Auria exports aiff which logic and pro tools uses, so you can record on your desktop then export to aiff then import into Auria and do your editing while your away from your desktop.

so does audiobus run "in the background" of the other audio programs? in your auria screenshot, i see a side bar for audiobus. that just appears when in the other apps?

that's amazing if so! i didn't think apple would allow that true sort of multi-tasking apps.

so does audiobus run "in the background" of the other audio programs? in your auria screenshot, i see a side bar for audiobus. that just appears when in the other apps?

that's amazing if so! i didn't think apple would allow that true sort of multi-tasking apps.

Yes - the Audiobus guys are GENIUSES ! That's is what took them so long to get Apple approval, but they got it in the end.

You CAN actually control the other apps using the little Audiobus toolbar that pops up unobtrusively - so I can be in Animoog and start/stop the recording or playback in MultiTrack DAW for example. VERY powerful stuff.

Roland Duo Capture Ex is a USB audio interface that will run on 3 AA batteries. It works direct to Ipad with CC kit USB. 2 pres, direct in, direct monitoring and really small. Just got it and it works great.

Audiobus, Auria, Animoog and Cubasis are all great. Check Wavemapper. Mindblowing.

Back
Top Bottom