Converting Live Drums To Midi

Fro

Experienced
Hi All,

I have quite the collection of multitrack recordings of my drummer from various rehearsals, recording sessions and live shows. I thought it would be fun to build up a midi library of his drum parts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? FYI - I'm running a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro running Yosemite. I will be upgrading to a new MacBook Pro sooner than later. I just switched from Pro Tools 9 to Logic Pro X.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions.

So, this is almost always hit or miss. Even in the best cases, I only got decent MIDI that needed a lot of massaging to make it really worth while. I've normally just gone straight into a workflow of creating new from scratch in MIDIm using the recorded as reference.

Groove Agent from Steinberg is one that I used. It did decently, but not near perfect.

Works great for kick, snare and tom mics. Especially in rock music where you can gate other sounds out very easily. Probably not as great with subtle drum parts (jazz, etc) and not so great with overheads that picked up the whole kit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did wonder if it was more effort than it was worth. I also wasn't thinking that cymbals/overheads wouldn't work with all of the bleed. I was just going to program the parts in by hand, but thought this might be an alternative. I may still experiment. I figure it's a learning process, if anything.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom