Converting FullRes room mics to UltraRes - any point?

sumitagarwal

Inspired
Obviously you won't get the full room reverberation but I wonder if we can at least get some of the room tonality by coverting 1300ms FullRes IR's to 170ms UltraRes IR's.

If my calculations are correct, 170ms is enough to capture frequency responses down to 6hz, and so I would imagine that UltraRes could pull in a touch of room ambience but especially the shift in tonality that a room contributes.

Obviously you won't get the full room reverberation but I wonder if we can at least get some of the room tonality by coverting 1300ms FullRes IR's to 170ms UltraRes IR's.

If my calculations are correct, 170ms is enough to capture frequency responses down to 6hz, and so I would imagine that UltraRes could pull in a touch of room ambience but especially the shift in tonality that a room contributes.

Just curious...why would you care about frequencies down to 6hz? Almost no playback system is going to be able to recreate those tones, in any situation outside headphones the "accuracy" here is going to be heavily colored by the room your in, and in any scenario outside playing alone all guitar subharmonics that low would be completely masked by the kick and bass and/or should be filtered out anyway to give those instruments breathing room.

Just curious...why would you care about frequencies down to 6hz? Almost no playback system is going to be able to recreate those tones, in any situation outside headphones the "accuracy" here is going to be heavily colored by the room your in, and in any scenario outside playing alone all guitar subharmonics that low would be completely masked by the kick and bass and/or should be filtered out anyway to give those instruments breathing room.
Sorry, my point wasn't to say that I wanted subsonic frequencies, it was simply to say that UltraRes should be more than capable of picking up room resonances.

You can try turning down the IR Length parameter on the FullRes cab to see what it sounds like trimmed to a shorter length. How well it will translate will likely depend on the particular IR and how much long decay data it contains.

Ooo, I never noticed before but some of the factory UltraRes IR's are room mics, so I'm toying around with that now.

Is there any way for me to export the internal cabs into Cab Lab Lite to mix some of the close IR's with the room IR's or do I need a paid Cab Lab for that?

Ooo, I never noticed before but some of the factory UltraRes IR's are room mics, so I'm toying around with that now.

Is there any way for me to export the internal cabs into Cab Lab Lite to mix some of the close IR's with the room IR's or do I need a paid Cab Lab for that?
Even with CabLab you'd need the ability to export the factory IRs, which doesn't exist...

It depends on the room size. For a sufficiently small room, some reflection will remain after the truncation. Whether the spectral content of that reflection is desirable is another matter though. Usually it is undesirable. But, no, there will be no ambience.

Specifically for the Fullres IR's that are in the Axe-FX III firmware has anyone looked at how much content there is in the 176ms to 500ms and how many db's down it is at that point (I believe the first 6ms on those IR's are empty to give it some delay after the direct mic).

I have the AxeIII Turbo, and when I first got it. I was making presets with the Full Rez Ir's and it does a thing. But now I don't use it anymore, I find more than 2 Impulse responses to me clutters up the sound image. I almost always use either an SM57 or SM7, with a Royer121. I bought an FM3 for portability, and don't miss that feature.

I have the AxeIII Turbo, and when I first got it. I was making presets with the Full Rez Ir's and it does a thing. But now I don't use it anymore, I find more than 2 Impulse responses to me clutters up the sound image. I almost always use either an SM57 or SM7, with a Royer121. I bought an FM3 for portability, and don't miss that feature.
I also have been using two IR's (no other option with the FM3 anyway!) but finding decent results with the UltraRes room IR's in the factory banks.

For cleaner or edge-of-breakup combo amp tones I'm liking a total of three layers:
  1. Royer 121 panned hard left
  2. Room mic delayed 6ms, 50% level, panned hard right
  3. Same room mic delayed 10ms, 30% level, panned hard left
In total this gives 180ms of room air after the initial sound.

For headphone use I'll pan the main 121 closer to center.

Thoughts/recommendations on how to improve further?

Back
Top Bottom