Converting from Axe-Fx II to AX8 - any advice?

Wildwind

Experienced
My playing situation is simpler than many. I'm not using Scenes or doing anything ambient other than Crystals for one song. I don't need dual amps or IRs. I can live with basic spring reverb at need. I do use delay on everything, using tap tempo at times (or song-specific patches with synched delay), but nothing exotic. No looping. I have comp on most of my patches, plus noise gate.

I do need dual ODs, which I think is possible. And I'm aware of CPU limitations.

95% of the time I do entire gigs with just five main presets with added OD now and then, maybe some chorus or trem once in a while. Yes, I realize AX8 has four preset buttons along the bottom, which is fine.

Gig is almost all church stuff (mostly current, guitar-driven stuff) and an occasional stunt guitar gig to help out friends - those are bone simple.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has transitioned (or has both units) and can further my education. I am reading everything I can find - this is the last of my research. Thanks!

You should be more than ok. Two drives so sick up some CPU but you should be fine. Are you stacking drives? Currently using XY?

If this helps, here's the CPU usage as i add blocks

10% no blocks or shunts
12% with shunts from input to out on row 2
25% with 1 drive block enabled, T808 OD
38% with a second T808 in series both blockson
41% with the amp block running the Plexi 100W High (doing a block reset and reset current efffect type so inital settings)
48% with cab block running IR F058 no delay, cuts or proximity
58% with the Reverb Block (Large Spring) (70% if using the Medium Room)
65% with a Delay block in digital mono (block reset, current effect type reset)
70% with the Multitap Delay
79% with a second Delay Block
83% with a compressor

So with all those blocks you get 83% CPU usage so i would say you'll be ok, personally i never use Drive pedals but they do seem to add a fair amount, I was putting a chart together for when i make my presets that listed the average CPU usage of each block and each effect type but for now i only have the reverb

here's the list of each reverb type and how much CPU each uses, in case anybody is wondering

(08) Lg Spring
(08) Md Spring
(08) Sm Spring
(17) Ambience
(19) Stony Quarry
(19) Drum Room
(20) Lg Tiled Room
(20) Rec Studio C
(20) Sm Room
(20) Rec Studio A
(20) Md Chamber
(21) Studio
(22) Sm Hall
(22) Sm Plate
(22) Sm Chamber
(22) Sm Cathedral
(22) Deep Chamber
(22) Rich Hall
(22) Caverb
(22) South Church
(22) Vocal Plate
(22) Wide Hall
(22) Tunnel
(22) Sun Plate
(22) Asylum Hall
(22) Deep Space
(22) North Church
(22) Huge Room
(22) Lg Wooden Room
(22) Lg Cathedral
(22) Lg Room
(22) Lg Hall
(22) Lg Plate
(22) London Plate
(22) Lg Chamber
(22) Md Room
(22) Gymnasium
(22) Md Plate
(22) Md Hall
(22) Md Cathedral
(22) Hallway
(22) Lg Deep Hall
(23) Concert Hall

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 1.14.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 1.14.19 PM.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 7
Looks like Nero gave you a pretty good list (thanks Nero). I have an FX and AX8. There are some differences, but unless you build gargantuan presets, CPU should not be a problem. My needs are pretty simple so I have no difficulties with the AX8. It is a great device.

GREAT answers! Way more than I hoped for! Thanks much! Now I just need to sell both my main and backup rigs - and plan on buying a pair of AX8s. Should be a dream setup.

Back
Top Bottom