Converting a guitar cab to FRFR, now that FW10 cabs sims are so good...?

Hugomack

Experienced
Has anybody tried to add a compression driver to their guitar cab, to achieve FRFR?

With the apparent non-availability of CLRs, the apparent high price of QLRs and the amount of money I've invested in ported cabs with EVM12Ls, which have a wide response anyway, this is looking like a good thing to try.

Research so far indicates that P-Audio’s BM2-D450, with a crossover at 1.6kHz to remove the EVM's 3.5kHz spike would match the EVMs, with a fixed L-Pad resistor.

In the prototype, the balance between the CD and the EVM will need tweaking, so a variable L-Pad like the Monacor AT-62SK 100W 8 Ohm L-Pad Volume Level Control would be needed. Once the balance was established this might not be necessary, especially as there's plenty of EQ available on the Axe.

The horn should fit OK at the top of my TT cab between the ports and the rim.

This probably won't sound like a £1000 monitor, but might be that missing link between backline in-the-room and the FOH Output One sound - but using cab sims from the 1" line outs of Output One...?

I cost this at £86 per cabinet....

google search

jet city full range cab

you will see a return for a few FAS forum threads on the topic. look for forumite screen handle "tubetonez" among others

google search

jet city full range cab

you will see a return for a few FAS forum threads on the topic. look for forumite screen handle "tubetonez" among others

Thanks, I'd read a lot of this.

But this is a specific discussion, about converting or improving existing cabs.

Smilefan used to use cab sims with EVM loaded guitar cabs, but his were open backed to increase the top end. Adding the right CD with a cross over at the right point to smooth out spikes, then adjusting the cab resonance, might get cab sim sounding good using ported EVM cabs. As a lot of people, particularly in Europe, use EVMs, this might be of interest.

Hi Hugomack, Sorry for the slightly off topic post but you mentioned the long wait for the CLR. Just as an FYI, we currently have stock on the Active Cab in the UK.

I sincerely wish you good luck with your project or whatever option you end up with!:)

-TK

Hi Hugo, even though the EVMs max out at around 7kHz, you can boost the top end a lot.
Put two PEQs in series, and shelf everything above 7k to the max.

Now try using a cab sim, at gig/rehearsal volume level. Finetune where needed.

This will give an idea of using the EVMs as a FR solution, without spending money.

Hi Hugomack, Sorry for the slightly off topic post but you mentioned the long wait for the CLR. Just as an FYI, we currently have stock on the Active Cab in the UK.

I sincerely wish you good luck with your project or whatever option you end up with!:)

-TK

This is obviously about passive cabs.....

Hi Hugo, even though the EVMs max out at around 7kHz, you can boost the top end a lot.
Put two PEQs in series, and shelf everything above 7k to the max.

Now try using a cab sim, at gig/rehearsal volume level. Finetune where needed.

This will give an idea of using the EVMs as a FR solution, without spending money.

Great idea Yek - thanks. Will try. I didn't want to go the Smilefan route as that's likely to affect the porting and bottom end. But I'll see what it sounds like with the backs off too

Back
Top Bottom