Convert traditional cab to FRFR?

ChainOfThought

Experienced
I remember reading something somewhere about converting traditional guitar cabs to FRFR, maybe it was a particular Eminence driver or something? Is this possible?

I have an empty Avatar 212 that I think would be perfect, or I have a pair of Orange PPC112's that I could pull the speakers from and use those. All three cabs are closed back.

Anyone know anything about this?

Others have asked about this in the past... The biggest point that always gets raised is that the Cab size (volume) is supposed to be "calculated" for the driver.

Put a driver with a pretty flat response into a cabinet that isn't the correct volume is going to likely result in a non-FR output. Could likely work to some extent, but the 12" drivers aren't cheap, and you'd still need the cost of a power amp etc. When you factor into all the parts, time and effort, and then possibly less than stellar results, something like a used XiTone or CLR active is probably the way to go

Your pretty close to Mic who's in Highpoint, NC, so maybe hit him up and see if he does any sort of conversions, but going for one of his existing products you can't miss.

Put a driver with a pretty flat response into a cabinet that isn't the correct volume is going to likely result in a non-FR output. Could likely work to some extent, but the 12" drivers aren't cheap, and you'd still need the cost of a power amp etc. When you factor into all the parts, time and effort, and then possibly less than stellar results, something like a used XiTone or CLR active is probably the way to go

Your pretty close to Mic who's in Highpoint, NC, so maybe hit him up and see if he does any sort of conversions, but going for one of his existing products you can't miss.

Who is mic? I see XiTone is located in Greensboro, didn't know they were that close. I wonder if they would let me drop in and check out a setup.

Luckily I've got a matrix poweramp already, so that cost is mitigated, but still it doesn't seem worth the hassle & I probably wouldn't be much better off cost-wise trying to do all that vs just picking up something used if I ever get the chance. At this point I think I'll just be looking for a couple good passive speakers and give it a go, but actually purchasing anything is definitely way on the back-burner.

I actually grew up in High Point but alas, I moved to Greensboro when I was 18 and haven't left. :)

Who is mic? I see XiTone is located in Greensboro, didn't know they were that close. I wonder if they would let me drop in and check out a setup.

Luckily I've got a matrix poweramp already, so that cost is mitigated, but still it doesn't seem worth the hassle & I probably wouldn't be much better off cost-wise trying to do all that vs just picking up something used if I ever get the chance. At this point I think I'll just be looking for a couple good passive speakers and give it a go, but actually purchasing anything is definitely way on the back-burner.

Please send me a note at the email address below. I can arrange a demo of a pair of wedges this weekend if ya want.

I actually grew up in High Point but alas, I moved to Greensboro when I was 18 and haven't left. :)

Please send me a note at the email address below. I can arrange a demo of a pair of wedges this weekend if ya want.

Oh thats awesome, I'm from Apex originally but living in Wendell now--on the other side of Raleigh from your direction. I'm not sure when I might be able to make it out to greensboro, we're a one car family for now so its a little rough doing anything like that. We do head out that way on occasion though, maybe I'll have to convince the wife of going to a kids museum out there or something and then, 'oh how convenient, we can drop by here too so I can do this thing' ;)

When it looks like a possibility for me--both getting out there to try it out and actually being able to purchase anything--I'll drop you a line, until then I don't want to waste your time with it. Thanks for reaching out, definitely badass. Actually makes me want to buy new instead of used which is pretty rare for me hahaha.

Oh thats awesome, I'm from Apex originally but living in Wendell now--on the other side of Raleigh from your direction. I'm not sure when I might be able to make it out to greensboro, we're a one car family for now so its a little rough doing anything like that. We do head out that way on occasion though, maybe I'll have to convince the wife of going to a kids museum out there or something and then, 'oh how convenient, we can drop by here too so I can do this thing' ;)

When it looks like a possibility for me--both getting out there to try it out and actually being able to purchase anything--I'll drop you a line, until then I don't want to waste your time with it. Thanks for reaching out, definitely badass. Actually makes me want to buy new instead of used which is pretty rare for me hahaha.

Know the feeling.

Greensboro has a great Kids Museum and the Natural Science Center is also quite awesome and is a half mile from where we'd be doing a demo! Plenty here to do!

I did my residency in Greensboro at UNCG. Its a nice city. I really used to enjoying cycling in the Battleground park. Nice loop with lots of elevation changes and so nice how they'd close to the roads to cars on the weekends.

Guess I though you were in High Point since there is some much furniture production facilities down there, seems like everything is made there lol

I did my residency in Greensboro at UNCG. Its a nice city. I really used to enjoying cycling in the Battleground park. Nice loop with lots of elevation changes and so nice how they'd close to the roads to cars on the weekends.

Guess I though you were in High Point since there is some much furniture production facilities down there, seems like everything is made there lol

Small world!!

I ship from the Kinko's there on Tate street.

Battleground Park is awesome. You probably wouldn't recognize the Old Battleground road area now. They actually completely shut the road down just down from the park to make way for a huge loop around Greensboro.

UNCG is huge now too... taking over that part of town.

Back
Top Bottom