Convert .syx Tone Match block to .wav Impulse Response?

Hi, I have an AXE FX II XL. I have loaded a preset with a tonematch that I like. I would like to export the tone match block only (no other blocks) as an Impulse Response (in .wav format) to my computer via USB. Does anyone know if this is possible?

From reading the 'Axe-FXII Tone Match Mini Manual' it says:

'Tone Match results can be exported for use as User Cab IRs.
The EXPORT page of the Tone Match edit menu allows you to select alocation, rename, and store the resulting file.'

I have my Windows 7 computer connected to my AXE-FX II and I have the AXE-Edit software opened and working. On my AXE FX-II device - I go to the tone match block window - and go to the 'export' tab, I then get an option to press 'X' to dump to USB.

When I press 'X' a light flashes on AXE Edit software, so there is communication...but I have no idea where the file has been saved to or if it did actually export any file to my computer.

Has anyone had any success exporting tone matches in .wav format?

Last edited:
Good question..there is no mention in the manual where the saved file is.....but I know it is being done....

I've done it already. Its simple actually. you need to go in the tone match block (on the unit's window, not in axeEdit) there is 3 tabs (capture, process and export). Export is where you can export the tone matched cab to a user slot.

I have never saved a tone match as an IR with the edit but on the front panel it is easy as can be just as sialtam posted. when saving a tone match with use of the front panel controls, it may not appear in the user slots in the edit until it is refreshed.

I've done it already. Its simple actually. you need to go in the tone match block (on the unit's window, not in axeEdit) there is 3 tabs (capture, process and export). Export is where you can export the tone matched cab to a user slot.
Thank you for your reply, what I am trying to do is export the tone match as a file (not user slots on an AXE FX) to my computers hard drive in .wav format- is that possible?

I have never saved a tone match as an IR with the edit but on the front panel it is easy as can be just as sialtam posted. when saving a tone match with use of the front panel controls, it may not appear in the user slots in the edit until it is refreshed.
Thank you for your reply, what I am trying to do is export the tone match as a file (not user slots on an AXE FX) to my computers hard drive in .wav format- is that possible?

Dont think its possible. a .wav is a file of a sound or music that is moving in time. (it plays from start to finish). An IR (though similar as a soundwave in regards of what you see in the tone matched window) is a mapping of the specific spectrum of frequencies excited by a specific speaker(s). And while its measured over a period of time, the final output is a .sysx file more similar to an EQ than a .wav

Thanks for the reply, from what I can understand, a tone match seems to be very similar to an impulse response - same process/techniques used to capture a snapshot of the cabinet / mic. An Impulse responses is a copy of the eq curve (same as tone match). You can use programs like Ozone etc to create Impulse Responses- you don't need to have an Axe FX...tone matching was added to the AXE FX as a new feature via a firmware upgrade, earlier versions of the Axe FX did not have tone matching - back then people used impulse responses to do basically the same thing as tone matching

I would be quite surprised if their is not a way to convert tone matches to an impulse response .wav file, but I may be wrong

Last edited:
The Impulse response file format in the AxeFx is .syx not .wav
I dont know how you go about in other software when you create them, and what is the file format of the IR in those softwares

Fractal sell software called 'Cab Lab 3' - from their website:
  • "IRs created using the Cab-Lab plugin are compatible with the Axe-Fx II (all models)"
Does anyone know if this software can do the reverse- export .syx to .wav?

Last edited:
The Impulse response file format in the AxeFx is .syx not .wav
I dont know how you go about in other software when you create them, and what is the file format of the IR in those softwares
.wav is a common format for IR files; you might want to sit the rest of this out. I am interested in the OPs question also and it is a valid one. The direct export of a syx file via USB is not well documented although suppsoedly it is possible and there is no info on how to convert SYX to WAV but it should be possible at least for standard res IRs.

Yes, I really do hope there is a way to do this, maybe I am wrong, but it seems like the tone match function on the Axe FX is similar (possibly easier to use) to using software like iZotope or Voxengo to capture & match the EQ curves. It seems like cab lab 3 lets you convert a .wav impulse response to .syx files, lm just trying to find out if there is a software program out there that allows you to do the opposite....

My bad. I really thought IR were that different from .wav files in the way i previously said. Thanks for the infos. obviously, i cannot further help you out with converting em into .wav but maybe (capital M) the Cab-Lab software allows it. One needs to investigate that.

There was a program(axe o matic dsp) that would convert the old syx. IR's to wav. but I do not know about a tone match IR. if you can find this program it might work. it used to be available on the ownhammer site, maybe on axe.fr.

There was a program(axe o matic dsp) that would convert the old syx. IR's to wav. but I do not know about a tone match IR. if you can find this program it might work. it used to be available on the ownhammer site, maybe on axe.fr.
Yes but it does not work with UltraRes.

Back
Top Bottom