convert .syx to .wav?

InsideOut

Power User
Is there any way to convert the Cab pack IR's I purchased from Fractal Audio to .wav files to use in another unit? I've tried in fractool and cab lab 3 can can't figure out how to do this. Seems to be a breeze converting .wav to .syx but not the other way around.

Fractal doesn't even want this to be possible, because they want to limit their IRs to their own products. That's the main reason for me to only buy stuff from 3rd party vendors, because they provide IRs as wav files, which I can easily load into my DAW etc.

Nonetheless: As far as I know it's possible to convert "standard" syx files to wav. This way you don't have the same amount of detail like UltraRes IRs have. On the other hand there are other IR mixers (e.g. aomdsp (or axe-o-matic) if I remember correctly, I always forget which is which... or was this conversion possible with JoJos_Sysex_IR-Converter?), which might allow exporting as a wav file.

I'm not entirely sure about this, I'd have to check first. If you want to try this yourself, those tools can be found here http://archive.axefx.fr/Tools/old

I can not, since my OS isn't supported and I most certainly won't switch my OS because of Cablab ;)

On the other hand there are other IR mixers (e.g. aomdsp (or axe-o-matic) if I remember correctly, I always forget which is which... or was this conversion possible with JoJos_Sysex_IR-Converter?), which might allow exporting as a wav file.

I'm not entirely sure about this, I'd have to check first. If you want to try this yourself, those tools can be found here http://archive.axefx.fr/Tools/old

All of this software is obsolete in terms of converting syx to wav since last year. If you attempt to use those programs and compare the files side by side, they won't even sound close to identical now.

That is one reason why I sell combo packs with both syx and wav files.

Could you please elaborate why this is the case? I don't really understand. What happened last year?
I can't elaborate more as I am under NDA.

But if you search previous threads on converting syx to wav, the reason is presented I believe.

I can't elaborate more as I am under NDA.

But if you search previous threads on converting syx to wav, the reason is presented I believe.
Nothing related to nda : since syx IRs are ultrares, the file format is undocumented.
Ultrares2 was also introduced.

JMO, - I'm groovy with the IR's in the box being proprietary, but the ones we purchase should be usable however we please (I'm not talking anything illegal - talking about in a DAW, or in a speaker system that allows loading wav IR's etc).

Yes.... you are right.. and the impulse wave isn't exactly the same, but it sounds too close. I'd really like to have an easier way to convert it... but, for now, this is the only way to use some SYX files into my other devices.

If you want to use in a DAW your Cab pack IR's with over Guitar plugin or hardware, you must have Cablab 3 VST plugin version.
Check this video from Leon Todd, you can put everything in front of Cablab plugin:

Last edited:
Ever since the introduction of ultra res 2, its not possible. You can still convert ultra res 1 files and standard res files, if you have them. I converted the Clark Kent stilletto cab pack back in the day (because I ran an axe Ultra at the time) and posted the steps on how to do it.

Edit: perhaps newer versions of cablab block this now

Ever since the introduction of ultra res 2, its not possible. You can still convert ultra res 1 files and standard res files, if you have them. I converted the Clark Kent stilletto cab pack back in the day (because I ran an axe Ultra at the time) and posted the steps on how to do it
UltraRes 1 cant be converted i think, only normal/hires

UltraRes 1 cant be converted i think, only normal/hires

From memory i think i used to export the ultrares file to a standard res file in cablab first. Then do further conversion to wav using the jojo converter. Not sure if the first step is possible anymore with the current cablab.

Nothing related to nda : since syx IRs are ultrares, the file format is undocumented.
Ultrares2 was also introduced.
Syx ir files used to be convertible up until about a year ago, even Ultra Res, then a particular thing changed and all the old tools ceased to work well.

Back
Top Bottom