Controlling the lo end

Hi kav,
You have mentioned it happens on both your les paul, and start - so let's assume it's more likely to be your monitoring or amp setup. Have you tried an eq to remove the bottom end that's offensive? May be worth adding an eq block, or experimenting with the cabs Lo cut parameter.
Thanks
Pauly

No what difference here? It's a 35 anniversary so hesitating with changing things. What what impact if they are all up (zero ohm)?

haven't tried the preset yet...but the IR could be a factor....121's can be problematic in the low end

Flubby low end is most often caused by pushing too much low end into the input of the amp. Use the low cut switch (under the Bass knob) and/or raise the low cut frequency in the amp advanced parameters. When low frequencies clip they produce harmonics that make the tone muddy and woofy. For example, 50 Hz clipped produces a 2nd harmonic at 100Hz, a third harmonic at 150 Hz, a 4th harmonic at 200 Hz, etc. We hear those harmonics as added muddiness which is not very pleasing. In contrast, when the midrange clips, say 800 Hz, the 2nd harmonic is 1.6 kHz, the 3rd harmonic is 2.4 kHz, the 4th harmonic is 3.2 kHz. We hear those as added grit and crunch and they are more pleasing.

Cut the amount of bass going into the amp until the flubby character is under control. If the tone is then too thin, you can add bass back AFTER the gain stages of the amp where they will no longer clip (amp block graphic EQ, cab block proximity, etc.) That's the primary reason so many people like using a Tubescreamer to "tighten up" the tone. They cut a lot of bass going into the amp and give a midrange boost.

It's hard to know what you're describing when you say the low end is "weak and floppy." Do you mean there's not enough low end, or the low end is muddy and indistinct, or...?

In any case, the issue persists across multiple guitars, so the solution is probably somewhere in the signal chain and not in the guitars.

I tried your preset, but I don't have the same IR you're using. I had to substitute it with a different one. I've attached an updated version of your preset for you to try. Simply replace the IR in it with the one you were using originally. Personally, the low-end didn't really stand out to me using my Les Paul with Humbuckers. The issues you're hearing could be related to your room, guitar or IR. Without hearing a sample, it's difficult to say. You can upload samples to Soundcloud or Dropbox and post the link here.
I am on Q9.01 firmware. Are you higher cause cannot import it?

Amp Block GEQ would be my first port of call if the standard amp controls don't "cut it" (pardon the pun")..

Yes, same here - cutting the 63hz - nobody needs it.

Also - place a PEQ or a Filter after the Cab and use blocking the the bassfrequences.

But the Friedmann BE has a lot of bass and depth at default settings - if you cut them, it doesn´t sound like the original amp.

Maybe try another amp or IR?

You can´t import Presets from another fractal gear (XL, Standard, MK II, I).

Last edited:
Out of my Turkey coma........I did take a look at this preset & the update someone else posted. Definite improvement with the updated one. Without having the exact ir it is really tough to say though. I dropped another ir into the preset and start tweaking. Not familar with how this amp block is intended to sound (as modeled) but this is not one I would use for chord work personally. If the OP would like to pick a factory cab I would be happy to post my take on it if the interest is still there...

I love Fractool BTW.

I had a problem with low end flub that caused me to file a support ticket and had responses from Cliff and Matt. I actually thought something was wrong with my unit or the firmware.

It was a humbling and educational experience for me, to say the least. You can see (and hear) how the entire thin played out in the thread below. (including presets). After getting acquainted with m y issue, do yourself a favor and jump to thread #129 where Moke jumped in and saved me from myself.

I learned so much from this process.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/strange-low-end-issue-dont-give-up-on-me-folks.131142/

Les Pauls can sometimes be tricky but I'd say it isn't your guitar/pickups/pots (unless it's been modified). Try the low cut switch in the amp block (which cuts low end before the preamp) then add it back to taste with the EQ in the amp block and be sure it's set to "post".

I tried your preset, but I don't have the same IR you're using. I had to substitute it with a different one. I've attached an updated version of your preset for you to try. Simply replace the IR in it with the one you were using originally. Personally, the low-end didn't really stand out to me using my Les Paul with Humbuckers. The issues you're hearing could be related to your room, guitar or IR. Without hearing a sample, it's difficult to say. You can upload samples to Soundcloud or Dropbox and post the link here.
It sounds better I think.. Might gotten used to my sound and I'll go forward with this. Seems more naturral hi gain Gibson .. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom