controlling scene changes from a DAW

Tone_Loc

what is the most efficient way to control scene/program changes on AX8 with a DAW like abelton for example?

We plan to use a laptop running Win 10 and use Abelton to run a few tracks to our UI24 mixer and was wondering if its possible to setup a midi track that sends control/scene changes to the AX8. I dont want to run another cable from the laptop to the AX8 so would something like the Quicco mi work?

Any advice is appreciated.

For preset changes, send PCs through Ableton. Live's interface for this is unfortunately not great compared to the other DAWs I've worked with.

For scenes, same deal, but send CC#34 -- required as the AX8 does not include the CUSTOM MAPPING feature included with the Axe-Fx II. The value you send determines the scene, but they're off by one:

0 = Scene 1
1 = Scene 2
2 = Scene 3
etc.

As for WHICH interface you use, choose a reputable one. A substandard interface can garble the data. You'll blame the AX8 when it doesn't switch, but it won't be at fault.

are you asking if a wireless MIDI interface works? or something more?
A bit of everything actually Chris!
1. what would I need in to order to get the connection functioning.
2. Once connected, how would I go about programming the DAW. (It looks like Admin M@ answered this part!)

For preset changes, send PCs through Ableton. Live's interface for this is unfortunately not great compared to the other DAWs I've worked with.

For scenes, same deal, but send CC#34 -- required as the AX8 does not include the CUSTOM MAPPING feature included with the Axe-Fx II. The value you send determines the scene, but they're off by one:

0 = Scene 1
1 = Scene 2
2 = Scene 3
etc.

As for WHICH interface you use, choose a reputable one. A substandard interface can garble the data. You'll blame the AX8 when it doesn't switch, but it won't be at fault.

Thx M@. Im hoping someone could pipe up with something that definitely works as I've gone down the path of buying something (Scarlett 18i20) and finding out it doesnt function as described.

I use the Quicco sound mi1 with my AX8.
Do you control the AX8 through a laptop?

Thx guys.

I like the Roland UM-one. The M-Audio Midisport 2x2 anniversary was my preferred unit for a long time, but now I use the Roland.

The Yamaha UD-BT01 has been proven to be a reliable wireless MIDI connection with FracPad. I'd expect it to work just as well with a DAW.

Back
Top Bottom