Controlling multiple gcx with mfc101

psisilian

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as well as the midi world. Appologies if this topic has already been covered, but I couldn't find any information with my searches.

I currently have 2 Voodoo Lab GCX and a Voodoo Lab ground control pro. The 2 GCXs allows me to use 16 loops (pedals), but the GCP pro only allows me to have 8 loops accessible with the instant access switches. I'm not into presets for my pedals and would like to be able to control all 16 loops with instant access switches.

I also have a Marshall DSL 40CR amp which is midi controlled by the GCP pro to switch the amp channels and settings via presets.

I recently came accross the MFC101 and was wondering if it could actually allow me to effectively control 2 GCX with 16 instant access switches to control my pedals as well as control my amp's channels?

If the MFC101 is capable of doing what I would like it to do, what would be the best way of connecting The MFC101, 2 GCXs and amp together?

Thank you very much for any help,

Phil

I never used mine with anything other than the original Ground Control and Ground Link or GCP... And I have not had either a GCX or MFC for some time.

The GCX is a bit limited. The manual states that it only responds to CCs on channel 16 (and the CCs are specific values only (80-87) but I'm pretty sure that's not quite accurate as the Ground Control can support up to either 3 or 4 GCX units.

I believe that it uses channel 16 for the first, channel 15 for the second, etc... But I don't remember why I think that's the case.

http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/gcx_manual.pdf

In any event, I think that the MFC would support that as a general midi controller.

Do be aware that using ANY midi controller with the GCX other than the Ground Control stuff has to be done with caution as the midi in jack provides non-standard phantom power which could damage the controller if not done properly.

I would suggest contacting Voodoo Lab support as they're pretty helpful in my experience.

Just ask them how you would address multiple GCX with a generic midi controller.

Back
Top Bottom