Controlling fx/parameters w/ multiple footswitches

jefferski

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everybody, I haven't worked with midi controllers before so sorry if this is a dumb newb question ;-) Tried to find something similar already posted but no luck, and the Modifiers section of the manual doesn't really address it (or I don't know enough about midi to understand yet).

My question: Is it possible to control the same parameter with multiple footswitches? Something like this... First, assign one footswitch to switch from Amp A to B, and boost the Reverb Level for a solo (or X/Y it). Then mid-solo, turn on other fx with a second footswitch, like a wah, harmony, phaser, whatever... (I'm pretty sure these first two steps can be done).

Now to the real question, can I use a third footswitch to switch them all back to their initial states? (ie, switch back to Amp A, turn off the harmony, and change the reverb back to the settings for my rhythm parts, all with one footswitch). My band has a number of songs where having that type of flexibility would be great and I prefer it over having to tapdance on multiple footswitches. I suppose I could try to set up two switches next to each other and hit both at the same time, but that's not the best solution. Plus there are other configs I might want that cycle through a few different sounds within one song, where I couldn't just set everything up next to each other.

I'm used to setting up my patches to do things like this on my GT8 (you can assign any parameter value multiple times to various pedals) and would love to be able to set them up on the Axe this way. It seems like it should work with General Use switches, wouldn't I just need to set the CC#'s appropriately? (how to do that is a topic for another day ;-) Also, I assume that if this is possible I can set up different pedal arrangements for each preset?

Thanks!
j

I would suggest this - set up for 5 preset mode, assign the rest as IA's that individually control each bypass, switch, etc that you want to use. Set them all to General Midi mode, assigning the appropriate CC's. When you do so, the MFC preset controls the blocks' bypass/modifier, rather than reading them from the Axe.

Now, for your example, assign the same Axe Preset to the first 3 MFC presets. Stomp #1 preset, engage any IA's needed, notice the MFC "Edit" switch light is blinking. Stomp it, and this is saved in the MFC for your rhythm sound. Stomp 2, repeat process for your first lead sound, ditto for 3.

What I love about this method, I don't need to use a lot of different Axe presets, and I can stomp/program MFC presets on the fly when playing live. I use the same basic Axe template for the patches, basically all the FX blocks, boosts, etc I may need with a different amp and/or cab setup. For my purposes it allows plenty of flexibility, and it's easy to use live because they're always the same. I don't have to remember that one Patch' lead sound has two or more FX, or another doesn't have this or that block. I can see what blocks & FX are active, and quickly add or remove and re-save if I get something wrong in the heat of the moment.

It's like a virtual pedal board, that you can program live for one stomp presets, and has become second nature for me.

Thanks tubetonez, this looks like a great way to set it up. It also sounds like this enables you to keep fx trails since you're really still within the same preset.... nice. (or does stomping the 2nd or 3rd pedal "reset" the patch and kill the trails?)

One more question: Is there a way to change switch assignments depending on the Axe preset? It seems that the General CC assigns are global across all MFC presets. Between all of our songs I'd probably want to be able to control a total of more than 12 things; sometimes a blocks' on/off state, other times X/Y, etc... That might be what you mean by "...the MFC preset controls the blocks' bypass/modifier, rather than reading them from the Axe." Or were you referring to what state the preset loads, but the switch assignments are still set globally? Sorry if my question is getting a bit complex. Maybe I just need to change how I think about presets. Another thought: does the MFC also store the state of any blocks controlled by the external switches? The extra 4 might come in handy.

This is a very different from the way I've learned to think about my patches but really sounds like it would work. Who can't use a paradigm shift from time to time? ;-)

Thanks again,
j

Thanks tubetonez, this looks like a great way to set it up. It also sounds like this enables you to keep fx trails since you're really still within the same preset.... nice. (or does stomping the 2nd or 3rd pedal "reset" the patch and kill the trails?)
You can set Axe to "Ignore Redundant PC"

One more question: Is there a way to change switch assignments depending on the Axe preset? It seems that the General CC assigns are global across all MFC presets. Between all of our songs I'd probably want to be able to control a total of more than 12 things; sometimes a blocks' on/off state, other times X/Y, etc...

I'm using the Ultra, which has 8 assignable External controllers. These can be Expression pedals or IA switches. The switches/pedals you assign to these 8 can be used in infinite variation per patch. Say you have a switch set to CC21, assigned to EXT1. In a patch, any controllable parameter can be assigned to EXT1. It could be bypass for one effect, or toggle between two values for another. Further, you can use the same switch in multiple blocks in the same patch, toggling various blocks on/off or between values.

In my case, I use one expression pedal which also has a switch, so pedal and switch I assign to 2 of the 8 available EXT controllers, the other 6 I assign to IA's (It may seem confusing, EXT controller in the AxeFX is not the same as External pedal/switch input on MFC) For the rest of the MFC IA's, I assign directly to the Block Bypass in I/O Control. Generally things like filter blocks for boost, comp, drive block, chorus, flange etc. Even so, you can still use other modifiers on these "hard-coded" blocks, i.e. in one I could assign Expression pedal to control chorus rate, in another delay level, even if I use the assigned I/O for bypass.

That might be what you mean by "...the MFC preset controls the blocks' bypass/modifier, rather than reading them from the Axe." Or were you referring to what state the preset loads, but the switch assignments are still set globally? Sorry if my question is getting a bit complex. Maybe I just need to change how I think about presets. Another thought: does the MFC also store the state of any blocks controlled by the external switches? The extra 4 might come in handy.
Yes, the state of all switches in GM mode, internal and external, as well as the "hidden" internal switches, are stored in the MFC patch.

MFC IA's that are in Axe mode read the bypass state from the AxeFX patch, and these can only control the bypass state. You have to use GM mode and assign to AxeFX EXT controllers to vary their function on a per patch basis. Total of 8 in the Ultra, not sure about the AxeFX II

This is a very different from the way I've learned to think about my patches but really sounds like it would work. Who can't use a paradigm shift from time to time? ;-)

Thanks again,
j

Sounds perfect, this has been great in helping me understand the capabilities of this beast.

I think one thing that's different between the Ultra and II is where you have 8 EXT controllers, the II has 4 Exp pedals and 4 External Switches. That'll still work for me because I'll probably have 2 pedals, one for Vol and one for Wah/Whammy and maybe some other function if I need it, and will have 4 EXT pedals for the blocks that I don't use as much and can rotate per preset.

I'm sure this will all make more sense when I actually start diving into it (or it will become even more confusing since I don't know how to do midi yet! ;-). It's fantastic how many different ways we can configure it. It sometimes seems like getting good sound out of the Axe will be the easy part...

Thanks!
j

Sounds perfect, this has been great in helping me understand the capabilities of this beast.

I think one thing that's different between the Ultra and II is where you have 8 EXT controllers, the II has 4 Exp pedals and 4 External Switches. That'll still work for me because I'll probably have 2 pedals, one for Vol and one for Wah/Whammy and maybe some other function if I need it, and will have 4 EXT pedals for the blocks that I don't use as much and can rotate per preset.

I'm sure this will all make more sense when I actually start diving into it (or it will become even more confusing since I don't know how to do midi yet! ;-). It's fantastic how many different ways we can configure it. It sometimes seems like getting good sound out of the Axe will be the easy part...

Thanks!
j

No, the external inputs you refer to are not the same as external controllers. I just looked at the Axe II manual, page 126. It has 12 vs. 8 for Ultra/Standard. These are the ones that you can assign to IA's as in the MFC, the built-in or external switches, or expression pedal inputs, or the pedal inputs on the AxeFX rear panel. You must use at least one of these for a Wah for example, you assign an Expression pedal input to say CC7 on the MFC. On the AxeFX, you assign External Controller 1 to CC7, which it can also do in "learn" mode just moving the pedal.

After doing this, you can assign per patch and per block External Controller 1 as a modifier, and have all the curve editing etc available. So for wah, you assign it to Freq and you can adjust the curve for sweep, damping, etc. This is not the same thing as simple bypass mode assigned to one CC, either in Axe mode or via the I/O control page. Download the manual and read these sections. You have 12 available controllers that can be multi-function, performing various duties on a per patch basis.

Yea, I'd seen those Extern 1-12 in Axe Edit but didn't know what they were for and forgot about them... ;-) I do have the manuals (Axe and MFC) but there's so much info in there I haven't tried to read it all yet. Or I've seen the info but it hasn't sunk in yet. I wish I knew someone around here who had an Axe so I could check it out (any forum members around Salt Lake / Park City? ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at the manual, I appreciate the pointer. I'm sure it'll make more sense when I get the Axe and can see it in action and actually set it up. As I've gone through the manuals I would have certain things I was looking for and so I'd skip other parts, especially the more complex stuff. I have no doubt about it's sound quality or any of those types of questions... some of the clips posted here and on Youtube really show off the power of this thing.

Back
Top Bottom