Controlling FX block bypass via MIDI

Knobs McGee

Inspired
Good morning, all. I recently purchased a Hotone Ampero Control, a simple 4-button MIDI foot switch controller to use with my AX8. My plan was to be able to turn FX blocks off and on via the controller while leaving the AX8 in preset select mode. I’ve gone over the external controller section of the AX8 manual multiple times but I haven’t been able to get it right. Now I’m finding threads stating that bypass state can only be toggled via sysex messages. It seems odd as the manual describes being able to assign parameter control to external controllers which can be an expression pedal, simple SPST foot switch or MIDI. So far all I’ve been able to do is send a direct bypass command to a block but I can’t toggle it back on. I’m perplexed. Does anyone have any knowledge they could share on this subject?

Last edited:
According the AX-8 manual on page 95, blocks can be controlled by CC.
Example: Drive 1 Bypass. On = CC49 Value 127, Off = CC 49 Value 0.

Thanks for that info, Mr. Voes. That is how I was able to access the bypass function but being a guitarist (MIDI, what's that??), I didn't understand about the CC message values. I'll change the switch I've assigned to toggle mode and give that a try. Ultimately, I was hopping to assign the function via an external bypass control function per block, per preset so that the four foot switches could bypass different blocks in different presets. It looks like using the method you described would make the switch functions global (i.e. switch #1 would only toggle drive on every preset). If that's my only option, I could probably settle for that.

I just learned about Voes during my head scratching research yesterday. Is my original plan something that the MX-5 could perform? I'm not sure that I could fit the MX-5 into my pedalboard but it might be an alternative.

Yippy! Setting each foot switch to toggle mode and entering the proper off/on values solved it. I can now bypass or activate a block using the direct method or by assigning it within a specific block. I assumed it was something simple. At least I was right about that. ;)

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for that info, Mr. Voes. That is how I was able to access the bypass function but being a guitarist (MIDI, what's that??), I didn't understand about the CC message values. I'll change the switch I've assigned to toggle mode and give that a try. Ultimately, I was hopping to assign the function via an external bypass control function per block, per preset so that the four foot switches could bypass different blocks in different presets. It looks like using the method you described would make the switch functions global (i.e. switch #1 would only toggle drive on every preset). If that's my only option, I could probably settle for that.

I just learned about Voes during my head scratching research yesterday. Is my original plan something that the MX-5 could perform? I'm not sure that I could fit the MX-5 into my pedalboard but it might be an alternative.

If you mean "foot switches could bypass different blocks in different presets.". Yes, that is no problem. For the first 100 presets you can select the on/off state of each button.

Back
Top Bottom