Controlling external pedals via midi

Kev324

I have virtually no midi experience and am curious if this is possible. It would be handy for me to have a couple external pedals enter the chain when selecting a different scene. For example, we play Skynyrd's I Know a Little. I play the rhythm part until the slide solo. I'd like to add some gain and kick on my SlideRig pedal for that by going to a different scene within the preset. Can the AX8 do this with something like a Voodoo Lab Hex?

You can assign midi program change (PC) numbers to scenes. I don’t know the Voodoo Lab Hex, but if it can be controlled by midi PC, it should work.
I used to control a Strymon pedal, so that with every scene change on the AX8 a different patch on the Strymon was active.

Okay, cool Thank you. I guess I could've worded it a little differently, actually looking to control loops not pedals directly. What you describe sounds like it would work the save way. Appears the Hex takes PC and CC messages so should be good.

Sounds like you know what you're doing now, but just to be clear... You are able to send midi messages for each scene change. But keep in mind you have two options for where those midi controlled pedals can be located in your signal chain... Either up front, or in the FX block. If you're not already using the FX block, use it for this... It offers the most flexibility for placement in each preset.

Valid point. I have considered that. I have been running a TC Bodyrez in the loop for a handful of acoustic tunes. I'm toying with doing away with it and just using acoustic IRs.

Another benefit of the Hex is it appears it can do amp channel switching with the isolated loop. Been toying with using the AX8 as an effects only box for the rare shows with which I use a real amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom