Controlling external midi equipment based on scenes with Midiboy

heli

Not sure if this is still relevant to many, but i guess there are still users of MFC + AxeFX out there.

If have always wanted to have a bit more flexibility in controlling external (pre)amps through the MFC and the AxeFx ii.
Functionality similar to part of the midi block in the AxeFx III.
I bought a midiboy (link not allowed, arduino project) as a hobby project at the start of corona lockdown to achieve this.

Not to delve into a discussion whether i still need those amps. It's simply fun to re-use them once and a while, and for the resurrection of a band
it is faster for now to use those preamps than recreate the sounds.

So, i have finally built the midiboy unit and programmed a sketch that does the trick. Actually less hard than i expected.

Last edited:
The functionality in a nutshell. Modes available:
A. either send one preset for all scenes, or
B. consecutive presets for scenes.
say, your preset selects preset 61 for scene one, it will select 62 for scene 2, 63 for scene 3 ...
These modes are controlled through the MFC's PC settings exclusively. No additional programming
on the midiboy needed, except maybe the midi channels you want to listen to and broadcast on.

C. Additionally a preset mode where you can define any preset send for each scene on any channel.
Programmed through the buttons on the device (tedious) or a table in the software (technical).
The number of these preset definitions is limited because of the limited memory on the arduino:
currently 75. Which is enough for me; i primarily use mode B, C only occasionally.

The device can be found easily, the sketch will be uploaded to a repository linked to the device.
P.S. Alternatives.
There are commercially available midi routers or -hubs that will do the trick. Hobby projects: besides footcontroller arduino projects,
i think there is at least one similar arduino project, connected to a "midi translator". Not sure if it existed when i bougth mine,
and i could not find source code.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is still relevant to many, but i guess there are still users of MFC + AxeFX out there.

If have always wanted to have a bit more flexibility in controlling external (pre)amps through the MFC and the AxeFx ii.
Functionality similar to part of the midi block in the AxeFx III.
I bought a midiboy (link not allowed, arduino project) as a hobby project at the start of corona lockdown to achieve this.

Not to delve into a discussion whether i still need those amps. It's simply fun to re-use them once and a while, and for the resurrection of a band
it is faster for now to use those preamps than recreate the sounds.

So, i have finally built the midiboy unit and programmed a sketch that does the trick. Actually less hard than i expected.
Ex all Access user here, think the mfc can send on multiple midi channels at once? Not sure what your doing but sounds interesting. I'm still learning after a lot of years, trying to work out if real midi can remote control through midi in on mfc to be passed through rj45 cable to axe fx midi out?

Back
Top Bottom