Controlling another MIDI device via the MFC-101 / Axe-Fx II

I use the original version of the MFC connected with a Cat-cable via the expansion port to the Axe-FX II. I'd like to control a MIDI device by using the MIDI in on the MFC and the MIDI out on the Axe-FX if possible. The reason why is so I don't have to run two cables to the rack. I've tried using different MIDI channels for the devices, but that doesn't work.

Has anyone tried doing something like this?

I tried changing patches in MainStage using the MFC+Axe and I could never get it to work. I could get MainStage to change patches on the Axe, I dont get it.

The axe fx does not send midi to control other devices as far as I know. You can switch to mfc out to axe fx in and then use the out through to the other device and control it with the mfc. I have never tried, but I would assume this would work from the cat cable to the axe fx midi out trough. I think there might be a setting in the axe fx I/o menu you may have to adjust for this.

When the MFC is set to expansion mode then you can't use it's MIDI ports ..... IE the MFC is the master MIDI control and you'd have to use the MIDI Out or Thru on the AxeFX to pass additional PC or CC data to another device.

Sounds like the other MIDI device is located on your pedalboard or at your feet? Then you might want to look at switching to MIDI cable between MFC and AxeFX and then you could possibly use the MIDI out from MFC to the other device as first device and then use the MIDI Out/Thru (if present) on it to go to the AxeFX - BUT you'd need to power the MFC using it's power supply from the pedalboard (meaning a power cable would need to run out to it) or buy a long extender cable with correct size connection plug to run from the MFC power supply in or near your rack and maybe tape it to the MIDI cable to make a sort of mutlicore.

No matter what way you do it there's going to be a need to run an extra cable back

I think keeping the Cat5 'expansion port' method and running a MIDI cable back from the AxeFX is probably the more sensible way to do it. Even if it seems messy, it's a lot easier to troubleshoot. You could tape/cable tie the Cat5 and MIDI cable together to look neater?

You can use a 7-pin MIDI cable between the MFC-101 and the Axe-Fx II. That single cable will provide bi-directional MIDI signals as well as providing phantom power to the MFC-101 from the Axe-Fx. You WILL need to plug the MFC-101 transformer into the Phantom Power input on the rear of the Axe-Fx so that it can run down the MIDI cable to the MFC-101. Then you can use the MIDI OUT or MIDI THRU ports on the Axe-Fx to forward MIDI signals to other MIDI equipment. Make sure that the other MIDI equipment isn't listening on the same MIDI channel as the Axe-Fx.

Is that not pretty similar to using Cat5 (but Cat5 avoids the hassle of 7 pin MIDI and hooking up the MFC Power Supply in the back of the AxeFX)?

I got the impression that the external MIDI controlled device was a stomp box type - so it would be out front beside the MFC. Maybe I'm wrong?

It's either 2 MIDI cables one 7 pin from MFC to AxeFX and one 5 pin from AxeFX back out to the (assumed) floor pedal MIDI capable device beside the MFC

or

Cat5 from MFC to AxeFX and 5 pin MIDI from AxeFX MIDI Out back out to the MIDI device

Whatever way you look at it .... it's going to need that MIDI cable you were trying to avoid using coming out of the AxeFX MIDI Out to the external device.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I just reread the original post and I'm still not quite sure that I understand what he's trying to accomplish. Using the 7-pin MIDI cable at least its standard MIDI protocol and a capable MIDI splitter at the MFC might do the job. Another alternative would be a wireless or bluetooth MIDI interface like the PUC or something.

Last edited:
I'm also assuming from the starting post that it's not an XL but a AxeFX II Mk 1 or 2 ...... so it's all a bit confusing :)

Think we need the OP to clarify exactly what he is trying to do with what devices and where they'll be located.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be more specific. The thing I want to accomplish is getting the MIDI signal from a custom built breath controller (5 pin MIDI out) via the MFC 101 (original) and the Axe-FX 2 mk 2 to a Clavia G2 Engine (5 pin MIDI in). If I can avoid using phantom powered 7 pin MIDI between the Axe-Fx and the MFC that would be awesome. But if it is the only way to get this to work I might have to do it.

The MFC doesn't have MIDI thru ability so you couldn't connect the breath controller to it.

Do you need any MFC commands sent to the Clavia?

If so, the Axe-FX should pass both MFC and MIDI In port data to the Thru/Out port with MIDI Thru enabled. I'm not sure how much latency this would add to the breath control. A separate MIDI merger could give better results.

If not, connect breath controller directly to Clavia.

Hi. Is t possible to control an external pedal with only Axe FX II, without MFC? I connect together with a MIDI cable from MIDI OUT/THRU AXE to MIDI IN M-Audio midisport and I get lost in I/O Axe menu.
My MFC is at the rehearsal room, and I edit presets at home, hence my question.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi. Is t possible to control an external pedal with only Axe FX II, without MFC? I connect together with a MIDI cable from MIDio MIDI OUT AXE to MIDI IN M-Audio midisport and I get lost in I/O Axe menu.
My MFC is at the rehearsal room, and I edit presets at home, hence my question.
Thanks
The Axe Fx II has no mechanism for generating midi... You need an external midi device.

Hi again. Once I connect Mfc101 via ethernet to AxeFX 2 and Axe Fx2 via Midi to a SimOne XT1 pedal, my doubt is how to control preset pedal change. I need to access via Mfc101 midi menu, isn't it??

Attachments

• IMG-20190318-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190318-WA0003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 14
Hi again. Once I connect Mfc101 via ethernet to AxeFX 2 and Axe Fx2 via Midi to a SimOne XT1 pedal, my doubt is how to control preset pedal change. I need to access via Mfc101 midi menu, isn't it??
You don't need PC Mapping. That only applies to the Axe Fx itself.

If you want to use a button on the MFC to change presets on the other device and not the same preset on Axe Fx, you'll want to make the MFC button send the PC on a different midi channel (and also set the other device to use that other channel).

You'll also need to enable the "MFC Echo" setting on the Axe Fx if you are connecting to it with something other than a midi cable.

You don't need PC Mapping. That only applies to the Axe Fx itself.

If you want to use a button on the MFC to change presets on the other device and not the same preset on Axe Fx, you'll want to make the MFC button send the PC on a different midi channel (and also set the other device to use that other channel).

You'll also need to enable the "MFC Echo" setting on the Axe Fx if you are connecting to it with something other than a midi cable.
Thanks for the answer. After read manuals I have a lot of doubts and questions:
1)How to deactivate pc mapping
2)How to select in Mfc101 midi channel number 2 e. g. to MIDI channel number 2 in external pedal while Axe Fx channel 1 is selected
3)How to enable Midi Echo. I connect Axe Fx2 MIDI OUT/THRU to xt1 pedal MIDI IN through M-Audio MIDISPORT MIDI interface

Sorry for my mess and limited english level. Midi is still a very difficult subject for me.

Thanks for the answer. After read manuals I have a lot of doubts and questions:
1)How to deactivate pc mapping
2)How to select in Mfc101 midi channel number 2 e. g. to MIDI channel number 2 in external pedal while Axe Fx channel 1 is selected
3)How to enable Midi Echo. I connect Axe Fx2 MIDI OUT/THRU to xt1 pedal MIDI IN through M-Audio MIDISPORT MIDI interface

Sorry for my mess and limited english level. Midi is still a very difficult subject for me.
#1 - Mapping Mode none (already set in your screenshot)

#2 - that's part of the setup of a button on the MFC. I sold my MFC and I never used it for external devices, so I can't help there. MFC-Edit is worth the money.

#3 - I don't have an Axe Fx II anymore, but the option is in the Global Midi menu somewhere

Back
Top Bottom