Controller/modifier help

Starfighter

Experienced
Hi guys! I think that there is a way to do this - I just can't figure out how. Ok - here's the issue: I have multi-scene preset that I use for the song "Magnificent" by U2. I use 4 different scenes for the song.

(Scene1: Intro)
Scene2: Bridge (not using the word "chorus" to avoid confusion with the chorus effect block)
Scene3: Verse
(Scene4: Slide solo)

My issue concerns scene2 and 3. In Scene2, I bring in some CHORUS with an expression pedal (modifier EXTERN 1 assigned to CHORUS mix) in some parts of the bridge. PITCH and MULTIDLY is bypassed for Scene2, and engaged for Scene3.

So - what I want do is bring in the PITCH and the MULTIDLY with the expression pedal together with the CHORUS in scene2 - but keep the same configuration as before in Scene2 and Scene3 with expression pedal not engaged. So, to sum it up:

With expression pedal NOT engaged:

• PITCH+MULTIDLY+CHORUS are bypassed in scene2.
  • Scene 3 is still PITCH+MULTIDLY engaged and CHORUS bypassed.

With expression pedal engaged:

• PITCH+MULTIDLY+CHORUS are engaged to their respective mix % in scene2.
  • Scene 3 is still PITCH+MULTIDLY engaged and CHORUS engaged (CHORUS engaged by expression pedal).

I know could just program an extra scene for the part where I now use the expression pedal, but I want to keep the smooth transition offered by en expression pedal that a scene change won't provide. Please note that I am already at 87% CPU in this preset, so I am a bit limited with regards to inserting extra blocks. See pics for details:

Scene2 MultiDly block:
Multidly_zpsjwh63c67.jpg

Scene2 Pitch block
Pitch_zpsalpuntkp.jpg

Modifiers
Controllers_zpsrtzocpcv.jpg

Scene2 Chorus block with modifier attached to mix
Chorus_zps6yphmyrl.jpg

Last edited:
I think...I think that if you make space first then put the chorus block parallel to a shunt and set mix to 100%.

Set your controller to control chorus level with its peak not above -6db.

After the chorus block, add a VOL block then connect output of VOL to the signal, just before the reverb.

Then you can choose if chorus is heard per scene but setting the VOL block engaged/disengaged state on a scene basis, being sure to set the bypass mode of the VOL to mute.

Make sure chorus is NOT set to auto engage. It should be engaged in every scene.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

I think...I think that if you make space first then put the chorus block parallel to a shunt and set mix to 100%.

Set your controller to control chorus level with its peak not above -6db.

After the chorus block, add a VOL block then connect output of VOL to the signal, just before the reverb.

Then you can choose if chorus is heard per scene but setting the VOL block engaged/disengaged state on a scene basis, being sure to set the bypass mode of the VOL to mute.

Make sure chorus is NOT set to auto engage. It should be engaged in every scene.

Hm. Maybe I am missing something - but how will this allow me to bring in PITCH and MULTIDLY with the expression pedal?

Could rephrase "to sum it up.....
"

Eg.

Scene 2
Multidelay is...(engaged/disengaged)
Pitch is ... (engaged/disengaged)
Chorus is... (engaged/disengaged)

Expression pedal will (make something happen)

Scene 3

Multidelay is...(engaged/disengaged)
Pitch is ... (engaged/disengaged)
Chorus is... (engaged/disengaged)

Expression will (make something happen)

So if I understand what you are suggesting correctly:

If I put the CHORUS in parallell, with a VOL-block to cut it out of Scene3 - I could bring in PITCH, MULTIDLY and CHORUS with the pedal in Scene2. In Scene3, i would have to keep the pedal engaged all the time so PITCH and MULTIDLY is engaged, CHORUS is muted by the VOL block. But I want PITCH and MULTIDLY engaged in Scene3 - without the pedal engaged.

It's only in scene2 I need to bring in CHORUS, PITCH and MULTIDLY momentarily with the pedal. In scene3 the pedal is not used, and PITCH and MULTIDLY is engaged all the time - CHORUS is bypassed.

Ok, only scene 2 and 3 is interesting here - and the PITCH, MULTIDLY and CHORUS block. The remaining blocks will be unchanged between sc 2 and 3.

Scene 2:

PITCH:
Expression pedal not engaged: Bypassed.
Expression pedal fully engaged: Engaged, mix 44,9%

MULTIDLY:
Expression pedal fully engaged: Engaged, mix 28,0%

CHORUS:
Expression pedal fully engaged: Engaged, mix 29,0%

Scene 3 (expression pedal not to be used in this scene):

PITCH:
Engaged, mix 44,9%

MULTIDLY
Engaged, mix 28,0%

CHORUS:
Bypassed

Thanks for helping! :)

its making my head hurt. I will say for now that I can't do it. I have tried 5 different revisions of the preset all with different concepts. I think Bakerman may have it with scene controllers but i can't see in his preset how the Extern 1 will affect the pitch and multi delay in scene 2....

Last edited:

Yes, now we are on to something! By using the scene controller 1 to Pitch mix and multidly input gain and setting it to 0% in scene 2 and 100% in scene 3 - and assigning pitch mix and multidly input gain to Extern 1 - I get the pedal effect I am after in scene 2.

However, the sound in scene 3 seems to have changed - the shimmer seems louder now - I can't see what might be causing that. Any ideas? If you compare scene 3 in the two presets you will hear the difference.

its making my head hurt. I will say for now that I can't do it. I have tried 5 different revisions of the preset all with different concepts. I think Bakerman may have it with scene controllers but i can't see in his preset how the Extern 1 will affect the pitch and multi delay in scene 2....

Lol - thanks anyway man, my head hurts too :)

Try the preset as is, without adding any more modifiers.

I wasn't sure what you were aiming for with levels, so I tried to keep the dry level about the same with shimmer off or on. If you want, this compensation can be adjusted via pitch block level modifier. Lower min or max or both. (Scene 3 is the same as having pedal at 100% in scene 2, aside from no chorus if pedal is at 0% in scene 3.)

Try the preset as is, without adding any more modifiers.

I wasn't sure what you were aiming for with levels, so I tried to keep the dry level about the same with shimmer off or on. If you want, this compensation can be adjusted via pitch block level modifier. Lower min or max or both. (Scene 3 is the same as having pedal at 100% in scene 2, aside from no chorus if pedal is at 0% in scene 3.)

I did try it as is, without any modification. I thought Scene 3 sounded different, so I did some a/b-comparison with the original preset. And the shimmer (pitch+multidly) sounds louder in your version. I'm going to explore a bit with level settings tomorrow, it's 1 am here right now :)

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom