Control Switches - Where are they?

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I have been searching and scouring the PDF manual, but I can't seem to find any information on CONTROL SWITCHES. Can one of you learned folks send me some manual page numbers so I can educate myself?

Even better - could someone provide a scenario where control switches provide a benefit, and do something other than the FX3's other controllers?

Thanks!

It is a Modifier source, like LFO or External Controller.

They are an assignment in the FC list as well.

Thanks Chris - do you know how to implement them, how to edit their behavior, and most importantly point me to a spot in the manual where these are discussed? I already use Scene Controllers.

Switches are better suited to on/off functions, where scene controllers are better for sweeping values. Plus there are 6 switches, but only 4 scene controllers.

Switches are better suited to on/off functions, where scene controllers are better for sweeping values. Plus there are 6 switches, but only 4 scene controllers.
The same Scene Controllers can be applied to multiple controls... And there's 4 Channels to the modifiers, so you can actually use many more Scene Controllers if you're crafty.

The advantage of a Control Switch is that it can maintain state across scene and/or preset changes.

Not just for on/off stuff.

I use CS for rotary slow/fast also. Really, any time you want to alternate between two states on a parameter or two (or twenty), a CS can be your friend.

Plus, I have a "delay boost" function on a momentary switch that uses a fairly fast attack, a slow decay, and a tweaked transfer function curve to whip the delay feedback way up for a bit and let it slowly decay back down to the base feedback value. Works great for tapping the button at the end of the solo to cover your exit while you find the next button or control pedal to get set up for the next part of the song, and way easier to manage for this purpose than a pedal controlling feedback would be....
Screen%20Shot%202020-08-25%20at%2011.39.27%20PM.png

Last edited:
The boosts I use employ more than just on/off states of switches or blocks as well - Cab block level, Amp block Input Drive, Level and Saturation.

Control Switches and Scene Controllers are very similar but do offer different benefits and limitations:

Both can be used with any parameter that has a modifier and their modifier page settings can be saved to a block using the Block Library.

-Control Switches offer the flexibility of being available to use in any scene and can remain active/engaged when changing scenes or presets.
-Control Switches settings are saved when saving to the Block Library.

-Scene Controllers offer the flexibility to have up to 4 different settings of the same parameter in a preset.
-Scene Controller settings are preset specific. Unless a Preset Template is being used, when a preset is created or the block from the Block Library is loaded into a different preset, the Scene Controller level needs to be adjusted in the Controllers page/tab.

Back
Top Bottom