Control Switches and MIDI

toesalad

Inspired
I have a Morningstar MC6, and I am looking to see if I can replace it's functionality with my FM3 and possibly an FC6.

With the Morningstar, I can program a foot switch to send a bunch of MIDI messages out. A use case I have for this functionality is that I have a bunch of switches programmed to control my BeatBuddy. Things like increasing/decreasing the tempo, changing the time signature, etc. These functions are used primarily for practice and thus not done in any specific song/preset/scene.

As far as I can tell, after reading the manual, the only way to attach MIDI messages to a foot switch would be to configure a Control Switch to send them out, then associate that control switch with a foot switch. Additionally, it would appear that there are only 6 control switches globally available to do that with. Am I reading that right? That would mean that I could only have a maximum of 6 switches send out custom midi messages. Is this correct? Or is there a way to have multiple views of switches all sending out different combinations of MIDI messages?

I have a Morningstar MC6, and I am looking to see if I can replace it's functionality with my FM3 and possibly an FC6.

With the Morningstar, I can program a foot switch to send a bunch of MIDI messages out. A use case I have for this functionality is that I have a bunch of switches programmed to control my BeatBuddy. Things like increasing/decreasing the tempo, changing the time signature, etc. These functions are used primarily for practice and thus not done in any specific song/preset/scene.

As far as I can tell, after reading the manual, the only way to attach MIDI messages to a foot switch would be to configure a Control Switch to send them out, then associate that control switch with a foot switch. Additionally, it would appear that there are only 6 control switches globally available to do that with. Am I reading that right? That would mean that I could only have a maximum of 6 switches send out custom midi messages. Is this correct? Or is there a way to have multiple views of switches all sending out different combinations of MIDI messages?

Yes, currently a limit of 6. There was a wish list for the III to include more but nothing has come of that yet. I believe one of the responses was that control switches are very memory heavy, or maybe cpu, one or the other, I don't remember... So not sure if they will ever go above 6.

Bummer! With all those buttons available via the layouts feature, it would be nice to have a way for programming any button press send out a bunch of MIDI messages. It wouldn't necessarily need to be tied to a control switch (from my perspective), but maybe there is a reason it has to be.

Back
Top Bottom