Control Switch Channel Toggling Problem?

bread

Power User
Hello and Happy New Year !

I'm setting up a filter block which will give me 2 different boosts depending on whether a button on the FC12 is using the tap or hold state. However, I can't seem to get the block to revert to Channel A when the button is disengaged. I want it to work like this ...

Press - Filter 1 Channel A is selected (+2db Boost) and the block is engaged (FC12 Light on)
Hold - Filter 1 Channel B is selected (+4 db Boost) and the block remains engaged (FC12 Light on)
Press - the block is disengaged and Filter 1 selects Channel A (FC12 Light Off)

I've tried the using the FC12 labour switch toggle functions, assigning the control switch to the blocks Bypass mode etc but can't get the block to reset to Channel A (it stays on Channel B) after tap - hold - disengage. It either is engaged / disengaged incorrectly or always comes back on with the last channel (B) selected regardless of the state I choose in the CS Pr Scene config page in Axe Edit III (on, off, last etc).

I'm using the filter block state in Axe Edit III to verify the states of the block when the FC12 b

Has anyone managed to do this and get it working that could help me to figure this out please ?

Thanks
"Bread"

N.B. I can get the toggling to work but the Bypass state is not correct as the light on the FC12 stays on until disengaged and does not correspond to the Filter block bypass state in Axe Edit III

Last edited:
I would set up your external switch jacks 1+2 and 3+4 in the FC12 to use 4 button external switches(I built my own for around $50 and can be bought for that or less). Set 1 button to increase +2db and 1 button to decrease -2db. I have mine set to increase the amp level up and down and it auto saves too!

Maybe does not solve your problem how you originally thought, but gets job done without need to use hold functions(personally not favorite live as holding takes thought!).

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I would set up your external switch jacks 1+2 and 3+4 in the FC12 to use 4 button external switches(I built my own for around $50 and can be bought for that or less). Set 1 button to increase +2db and 1 button to decrease -2db. I have mine set to increase the amp level up and down and it auto saves too!

Maybe does not solve your problem how you originally thought, but gets job done without need to use hold functions(personally not favorite live as holding takes thought!).

Hi Tremonti

Yes, I think I'll do that instead, I have a 2 button OCD switch that I can use so I'll do that.

One possible alternate solution would be.

Tap - Chan Select, Filter1 A, Smart Bypass ON
Hold - Chan Select, Fillter 1B, Smart Bypass ON

Should Work as you have described! You'd even get an Off/Dim/Bright light indicators. Only problem with this is if you are switching scenes where you want to retain the boost. Really wish we had the ability to define scene independent blocks, then this wouldn't be an issue.

There are probably a few alternate methods you could use too. Like 2 CS controllers with 2 Filters, etc.

There are probably a few alternate methods you could use too. Like 2 CS controllers with 2 Filters, etc.
This is how I would likely approach this if I needed two small increments of boost and wanted them to stay put when switching scenes.

It's interesting to see the 'Smart Bypass' applied to a practical example - I was not sure what it was meant to be used for, and now I have a thing to try. Thanks! Time to experiment and re-RTFM, I guess.... :)

One possible alternate solution would be.

Tap - Chan Select, Filter1 A, Smart Bypass ON
Hold - Chan Select, Fillter 1B, Smart Bypass ON
This looks like a good trick for getting the three needed states for the OP's application on one button - OFF / A / B. Will have to try it with some effects and see how it goes for my stuff.

Another trick - one that I do use currently - is a two-button tap-only approach for some of my presets to select the lead amp block channel. It gives a visual indicator of which channel is on, and bypass is, generally, not a useful state for the amp block. I set up two channel toggle switches, one with A as primary (bright LED), the other with C as primary (bright LED), and both having B as secondary (dim LED). The A or C will be bright if selected, and the other switch dark, and B is active when both are dim.

I tend to reserve hold functions for less 'immediate' things - things that you either have the ability to predict in advance (beginning of a verse, chorus, bridge, or solo, for example) and lean on the button in advance so you can lift off it at the opportune moment, or for setting up options ahead of time (effect channels, etc.) so they are ready to go with the desired effect when summoned. I have the global 'revert to saved state on scene change' turned off, so it lets my 'kitchen sink' presets be pretty flexible and use scenes. I can select yhe lead scene and choose the dotted-eighth or quarter note delay channel for the lead scene before starting a song, for example, and when I go back to it while playing the song, the selected delay is used.

This looks like a good trick for getting the three needed states for the OP's application on one button - OFF / A / B. Will have to try it with some effects and see how it goes for my stuff.

Another trick - one that I do use currently - is a two-button tap-only approach for some of my presets to select the lead amp block channel. It gives a visual indicator of which channel is on, and bypass is, generally, not a useful state for the amp block. I set up two channel toggle switches, one with A as primary (bright LED), the other with C as primary (bright LED), and both having B as secondary (dim LED). The A or C will be bright if selected, and the other switch dark, and B is active when both are dim.

I tend to reserve hold functions for less 'immediate' things - things that you either have the ability to predict in advance (beginning of a verse, chorus, bridge, or solo, for example) and lean on the button in advance so you can lift off it at the opportune moment, or for setting up options ahead of time (effect channels, etc.) so they are ready to go with the desired effect when summoned. I have the global 'revert to saved state on scene change' turned off, so it lets my 'kitchen sink' presets be pretty flexible and use scenes. I can select yhe lead scene and choose the dotted-eighth or quarter note delay channel for the lead scene before starting a song, for example, and when I go back to it while playing the song, the selected delay is used.

I'm using scene revert so this won't work for me :(

I can't get that to work either ha ha.

Would be nice if we just had 12 scenes ...
Yeah, or a couple more ways of combining the two controllers on a modifier....

@Bakerman figured out a way to use a stopped LFO to allow one control switch act as a logical NOT applied to the state of a second one. Maybe that can be leveraged somehow to generate what amounts to a tri-state switch (0, +2, +4) action. The only other idea I have right now involves two tap switches controlling 50% each of a 4dB boost, so:
  • Both dim = 0dB
  • One bright = +2dB
  • Both bright = +4dB
Maybe some less-essential or less-immediately-needed switch function occupying another tap switch could be moved to their hold functions (bank up and down, or reveal holds, or something like that) so you'd have the extra tap switch available....

@Bakerman figured out a way to use a stopped LFO to allow one control switch act as a logical NOT applied to the state of a second one. Maybe that can be leveraged somehow to generate what amounts to a tri-state switch (0, +2, +4) action.

I'm not sure if LFO things will be needed as much with dual modifier sources being possible now. I think I mentioned somewhere that Src1+Src2, both at 50% scale, start/mid/end 0-100-0 will do that NOT style switching.

For the question here I think you'll have to compromise on the LED state, or deal with some other scenarios where a tap will go back to the hold-on state if you haven't actually switched the hold function off.

For example, set up two CS as tap & hold in an exclusive group. Assign both as Src1+Src2 for filter level, range 0 to +4 dB. Src1 (tap function CS) scale 50%, Src2 (hold function CS) scale 100%. Start-mid-end = 50-0-100. Tap function ON would be the no-boost state. Tap to switch OFF and you get 2 dB boost. Hold and you get 4 dB boost. It should be possible to go back to either 0 or +2dB by tapping vs. holding at that point.

I'm not sure if LFO things will be needed as much with dual modifier sources being possible now. I think I mentioned somewhere that Src1+Src2, both at 50% scale, start/mid/end 0-100-0 will do that NOT style switching.

Yes, I use that all over the place, in pretty much every preset. Thanks, again! I was giving the OP some background on things you'd shown me how to do. :)

For the question here I think you'll have to compromise on the LED state, or deal with some other scenarios where a tap will go back to the hold-on state if you haven't actually switched the hold function off.

For example, set up two CS as tap & hold in an exclusive group. Assign both as Src1+Src2 for filter level, range 0 to +4 dB. Src1 (tap function CS) scale 50%, Src2 (hold function CS) scale 100%. Start-mid-end = 50-0-100. Tap function ON would be the no-boost state. Tap to switch OFF and you get 2 dB boost. Hold and you get 4 dB boost. It should be possible to go back to either 0 or +2dB by tapping vs. holding at that point.

I hadn't got the chance to poke at it, but figured some variation of transfer curve and either a pair of 50% scaled switches or a 50% and a 100% would get some sort of useful result. My brain has been in home inspection/purchase/translocation/logistics mode all day. Haven't even had the chance to power up my AxeFX today! :eek:

I did put in a wish for a tri-state switch, though. :)

Yeah, or a couple more ways of combining the two controllers on a modifier....

@Bakerman figured out a way to use a stopped LFO to allow one control switch act as a logical NOT applied to the state of a second one. Maybe that can be leveraged somehow to generate what amounts to a tri-state switch (0, +2, +4) action. The only other idea I have right now involves two tap switches controlling 50% each of a 4dB boost, so:
  • Both dim = 0dB
  • One bright = +2dB
  • Both bright = +4dB
Maybe some less-essential or less-immediately-needed switch function occupying another tap switch could be moved to their hold functions (bank up and down, or reveal holds, or something like that) so you'd have the extra tap switch available....

What would be cool would be to combine the channel selected with the LED segments on the FC12 footswitch (the light ring around the switch is split into 4 separate segments), so that when only the top left segment is selected, Channel A is active, top right, Channel B is selected, bottom left, Channel C and bottom right Channel D. If they could be at full brightness its really clear, then that would be awesome and also colour selectable depending on the channel.

So, as an example ...
Channel A selected would be the top left FC12 LED segment in Green for a 2Db Boost
Channel B selected would the the top right FC12 LED segment selected in Blue for a 4db Boost
Channel C selected would be the bottom left FC12 LED segment selected in Yellow for a 6db Boost
Channel D selected would be the bottom right FC12 LED segment selected in Red for a 10db Boost
Hold = Off

... instead of boosts on a filter block, they could be the channels of the pitch block for different virtual capo tunings :)

I feel the LED segments on the FC12 could provide extra visual features that aren't being utilised (if my theory is correct and they can be addressed individually like the old 8 segment LED used to be). You could even to half and half for 3 state - Top 2 for Channel A, Bottom 2 for Channel B and ALL OFF for bypassed, again using different colours depending on state.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom