Control Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your preset didnt have 8 additional switches at all.
you didn’t read what I wrote.

Do you really need all of the looper controls? Remove what you don’t use.

I really, really dont want to argue with anyone. So far, everyone here is failing to see the flaw in the design. It's still crazy to me, the fanboyism on this forum. It's why I hate coming to this forum now. Fractal is great and has created possibly the single best piece of guitar gear EVER. Everything they do isn't perfect. They created a less than perfect product. The fact that you refuse to admit that says worlds about you.
You’re only using the word fanboy because people here aren't agreeing with you. People on other platforms love to complain. It’s why I don’t go to those places.

EVERYONE here can’t see the flaw, EVERYONE here is a fanboy, EVERYONE here doesn’t understand. You’re the only one who can see this clearly. I’ve heard it all before.

If you don’t like coming here, don’t. If you don’t want to argue, don’t. You just want to say something and have everyone agree with you to make yourself feel good. Sorry, we here are trying to be objective and use the gear we have, not sit here and complain about everything.

Chris, It just goes to show you ,that some people- are hard to convince even after all this effort from you and the others that have chimed in ,PROVING that this great piece of gear is what we know is a GAME changer .

So far, everyone here is failing to see the flaw in the design.
The invariant in this exchange happens to be you.

Sounds like you feel you have the killer idea. Maybe put it into production and test that theory with the market? Would be more productive than railing against people here and Fractal Audio for not understanding your genius concept.

That didnt really fix my statement, which has been echoed by many different people on this forum, facebook forums, and by friends. Some people are happy with the fact that they are smaller, many with myself included are not. Fractal knows this, which is why they addressed it on the FC page by saying that the FC's are perfect like 4 times including the very first word of the description and the very first phrase in the specs. "
  • Two perfectly sized versions: FC-12 with 12 switches and FC-6 with 6.
    "
I'm inclined to disagree. It doesnt make a lot of sense for a new flagship model to get a controller that requires more work to do all the things the old one did. There were certainly some big progressions since the MFC, but there are also some regressions.

Im fully aware that there are different layouts, in fact I wrote this post seconds after watching your video about the FC-12 to it's end. I saw how you change the layouts with the one button that cycles through them all, but I am personally not a fan because you can only move in one direction and if you accidentally click the button again, you have to cycle through all the layouts again to get to the one you want. The changes that I am describing are functionally a bit better than what you described as they give the user a bit more control and room for error by being able to move incrementally by individual lines of button functions, and also having hard edges where one you hit the bottom or top line, an accidental, additional press of the button wont move the layout when you dont want it to. You did mention tap and hold functions which I think are good and effective in many situation, but also, many people like for a single button to do a single thing for the sake of simplicity.

This is all a programming change that I'm sure wouldnt be very difficult to make, which would effectively double your layouts. For instance, with the looper, you set the 2 extra buttons for a clean sound and lead sound, you had no room to click on or off additional effects which is pretty important to advanced looper users to be able to do. Fast changes on the fly are incredibly important, especially in a live setting.
Really, this is the core of my gripe with the FC. There are A LOT of people out there that like to have all their pedals and channel switching options right there in front of them, which is also ESSENTIAL with people that like to experiment a lot, and the FC just isnt as conducive to that as it could be.

There is the idea of chaining multiple units together, which I DO like if money was no object, but for most it is. I also dont want to have to deal with a power supply for each additional controller. I will say though, it would be optimal to have an FC-6 strictly for channel/scene switching and an FC-12 for everything else, for me personally.

I also dont understand the mentality of everyone here trying to immediately refute the idea whether than asking the question "could this improve the FC or not?" I did ask for feedback and opinions, but no one here considered how it would be different from current functionality.

Make no mistake, I DO want to buy an FC-12, but I cant bring myself to do it given limitations of a single layout which is strictly due to the number of individual switches. I will flat out admit that the the Axe FX line of processors is the single greatest innovation to the electric guitar since the electric guitar itself as it is a culmination of EVERY part of the signal chain proceeding the guitar. I dont know the scope of Fractal's vision, but it is on the path and should be it's goal to be the Wikipedia of guitar sound. PERIOD. The ultimate Axe FX would have EVERY amp and EVERY cabinet and EVERY effects pedal, although I will also admit that it can currently do most of that now.

I think I understand your request. I think of them as “mini layouts” or “sections”. A layout would be divided into sections and each section can be switched indepently of the others.

This behavior is not the same as the current layout system. Although similar results can be achieved using the current system, but with limitations.

Interesting idea. But maybe some bridges too far, and difficult to implement / configure.

Y'all need to ease up on the OP here a bit. Granted, his tone was not as amiable as it could be but whatever, we're all big kids here and responding in kind isn't particularly helpful.

And he's also not entirely wrong. The MFC can do more things from it's main layout with a single press than an FC12 can. This isn't really up for debate - it has 5 more switches for the use he's described. He proposed an idea of how he thought the FC might work for him. It doesn't specifically work that way but as we all know, the FC platform is more powerful in the end.

@sirus1987 you should articulate your actual usage patterns/needs in terms that are independent of how the MFC or any other controller works. Also, have you read through the manual? The FC is seriously powerful and it is likely that there is a workflow that it is capable of that will work for you.

Can’t be everything to everyone. Some people complained the Axe II didn’t have enough I/o, the screen was too small etc

The III has a huge screen, lots of routing and many people were happy, but some people wanted a 1u, not a 3u, so they felt it was a step backwards.

I see so many people saying they are torn between a 6 and 12, as they want small, and think the 12 is too big, and is too many switches

Someone wanted a fc8, FAS made a 6 and 12, someone else wishes for a fc18 it sounds like.

Can’t make endless models, need to pick the best overall choice for the majority and put it to market.

Given the wait to buy either model there seems to be plenty of people who are happy with the options FAS is offering

The only button the FC12 is missing is the "Awesome" button...for when you want to play like a rock star...

The MFC can do more things from it's main layout with a single press than an FC12 can.
I'll disagree with this as MFC switches could only perform a single task. The FC allows for a short- and long-press distinction. That gives you 24 potential actions behind 12 switches. The MFC was only 17 actions behind 17 switches.

I'll disagree with this as MFC switches could only perform a single task. The FC allows for a short- and long-press distinction. That gives you 24 potential actions behind 12 switches. The MFC was only 17 actions behind 17 switches.

I meant a single tap. Hold functions are a non- starter for a lot of people.

I meant a single tap. Hold functions are a non- starter for a lot of people.
Chaining FCs solves that non-starter then. An FC-12 + FC-6 and you now have +1 single-function buttons over the MFC.

And there's always alternatives in the Liquid-Foot and RJM products if you need more physical switches. The cost, of course, is quite high in comparison but that's what you pay for niche products that are powerful, right?

Y'all need to ease up on the OP here a bit.

nah.

I'm a super critical person, feel free to check the forum for previous posts.

To quote what someone else on a facebook page had to say about it "Man, that Kool-Aid is really tasty, eh?"

It's the same reason I dont put stock in this forum, it's almost exclusively Yes Men to the Fractal staff. It's a HIGHLY biased group of people.

I don't know how that's a great price when compared to the MFC-101. $500 for a 6 button switch that is so much less useful than the $750 21 button MFC.... Hopefully a competitor will come out with a better switching unit with a justifiable price.

Whether its my right to be or not, Im going to feel slighted by the company about this until they release a full size footswitch or a competitor comes out with a full functional larger footswitch.

From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely do not care if you shut this thread down. If I had the capabilities I would do it for you.

Last edited:
Just to be clear I never said the FC wasnt a good design. Obviously its better in pretty much every way besides the lesser number of switches. The reason I've even complained so much is because I'm a consumer that votes with his dollar and I'm being vocal about the products that I would like to see. That's how capitalism works. If there is a demand, companies will create a supply. I also dont want to sound like I dont appreciate what fractal does and have done. I play through my axe fx iii daily and it's a joy every time I do. I have a Rivera Knucklehead Tre that I LOVED for years and it's been collecting dust since 2014.

I WANT to buy an FC, it IS a game changer. I just want an FC-18 and not a 6 or 12.

I think I understand your request. I think of them as “mini layouts” or “sections”. A layout would be divided into sections and each section can be switched indepently of the others.

This behavior is not the same as the current layout system. Although similar results can be achieved using the current system, but with limitations.

Interesting idea. But maybe some bridges too far, and difficult to implement / configure.

the best way I can kind of depict what Im saying is with this crude drawing. Virtually there would be 4 lines or so and then what is circled would be what is actually shown on the FC-12 or 6 readout.

20190123_162556.jpg

the best way I can kind of depict what Im saying is with this crude drawing. Virtually there would be 4 lines or so and then what is circled would be what is actually shown on the FC-12 or 6 readout.

View attachment 52032

My point, made early on, is that you can already do exactly what you described on the FC using layouts.
Layout 1: row 1 and row 2
Layout 2: row 2 and row 3
Layout 3: row 3 and row 4

What is your objection to that?

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom