• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish Control layouts and labels that match the model

This is a MINOR point, since I'm generally very happy with how the AFII operates.

But, I'd like it if the virtual control layout, in Axe-Edit, were to be arranged so that for each individual amp model, the controls match those of the real amp that is being modelled. Both in position and in control labelling. And if there is a secondary function, like a pull bright switch, then that switch should be located right next to that control.

To cite an example, a Mark IIC+ has a control layout of Vol 1, Treble, Bass, Middle, Master 1, Lead Drive, and Lead Master (short chassis version) with reverb and presence on the back panel.

But in Axe-Edit, the control layout is Input Drive, Overdrive, Bass, Middle, Treble, Bright, Presence, Depth, Master Volume.

I can't see that there's any reason not to harmonize the panel layouts between the real amp and the model in Axe-Edit. It's just (mostly) reshuffling some control locations and changing names.

I wouldn't mind seeing a virtual amp control panel that even resembles the real thing, but that'd hardly be an essential feature.

I think there is some sense in making the models have the same control layout as the amp being modelled.

In the case of those controls that are present on the real amp but are not used in the mode that is currently being modelled (such as clean channel controls when the model is for the lead channel) then include those controls but make them greyed out and non-functional.

I might also suggest that double clicking on any given control could be an action that opens up a secondary window for adjusting related parameters. For example, double clicking the reverb control would give you access to all adjustable reverb parameters in a pop-up box. Tone, dwell, and mix, following the model of the Fender outboard reverb, to cite an example.

Rather than clutter up the forum with a second request topic, I'll just add that second idea right here.

Tube modelling: We have the ability to change such things as preamp tube types in the advanced parameters of the preamp stage now. But just for ONE tube. Well, who has an amp that only has one preamp tube?

I'm not at all sure if the AFII has the computing horsepower to do it, but giving us the capacity to alter tube types on a stage by stage basis, following the actual signal path of the real amp, would add yet another detail of depth and realism. Present the amplifier's circuit as a series of editable tubes, along with any other specific components that our excellent developers choose to give us editing options for as well.

As for tube editing, anybody who's spent any amount of time swapping tubes and listening to them knows that there are huge possible variations between two preamp tubes that came off the same assembly line and were made by the same operators on the same day. Gain levels vary tremendously and that has a major effect on where that tube can or should be placed in the amp. And their tonal balance differs as well.

I can swap around between a variety of preamp tubes in a SINGLE socket in my Triple Recto head, (a real one) and based on tube choice you'd think it was a completely different amp. Depending on tube choices made, I can set the amp up so that as I turn up gains and volumes I can hear different specific amplifier stages begin to distort and add their own distortion character to the sound.

So, I think that being able to adjust the Mu, (voltage gain), Gm, (transconductance) and Rp (Plate resistance) in the tube models, or at least Mu, would also be a useful additional tweakable feature.
And of course, Miller Effect could be modelled as well. In fact I think it is, as an internal parameter that isn't user adjustable.

My Triple Rec has turned out to be quite a useful machine for testing preamp tubes. I came into a large lot of used pull tubes and found that putting them in socket V1 and setting the amp up on the clean channel, but boosted, with the gain cranked, gives me the ability to evaluate a tube's condition very quickly. I can hear the grating sound of a tube that needs a certain amount of signal to start working, almost like it has a noise gate in front of it. Whether this is due to gas in the tube or a worn cathode, I don't really know, but something causes this gating. I should look more deeply into that kind of tube. It may be that its bias point has shifted a great deal due to cathode ageing.

I can check relative gain, check noise level on a comparative basis, using established settings and measuring noise output at the speaker via a sound level meter, and I can check for a worn tube that exhibits high Miller Effect capacitance. If that problem exists then the tube has a wah effect when the guitar volume is turned up. Sometimes I find a tube that's so worn out it just sounds like an air raid siren and self oscillates at high gain control settings.

h.c.e.

Power User
You might like AxeLive...

http://www.roxxxtar.com/axelive

It’s a program written by forum member Nero where he’s done a UI design for every model to reflect the real world amps the models are based on... might scratch that accurate layout itch.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I would guess that since the II is getting long in the tooth they wouldn’t devote the significant resources this would require. The development team is still hard at work just getting all the basic features of Axe edit for the III implemented.

I could perhaps see it as a feature for the III though as the color LCD could display the same info as the AxeEdit display, which I think you’d want. Would be confusing to see different parameters on the front panel vs Axe Edit

Obviously you’d want it to be an optional mode as well, since many people like having extra controls the real models don’t offer, like a proper BMT tone stack on the Fenders

Agreed on all points. As for those extra controls, of course they should be visible in the Axe-Edit main screen, but put them on a second row below the first, or farther down the row.

I'll check out axelive.

I can see that I'll eventually be looking for an AFIII. I think it's more likely that any of my ideas, should they be implemented, would be implemented in the III.

In my case, since I only play at home, I only use the computer display for pretty much everything. A 27" iMac rules that setup. It's great for that. Generally I'm not an Apple guy but the iMac has been bulletproof in this application.

Top Bottom