Control FC12 with a separate Midi Foot Board?

I would prefer to have a second FC12 and use that to change the layouts on the first FC12. But the last I new from a year ago is all the FC12 have the same program and cannot control active layout on each other.

So, is it possible to use a separate Midi Foot Board like the MeloAudio Midi Commander to make the FC12 switch layouts? Basically, I want to maximize using all the FC12 buttons...

I would prefer to have a second FC12 and use that to change the layouts on the first FC12. But the last I new from a year ago is all the FC12 have the same program and cannot control active layout on each other.

It’s not entirely clear what you are asking.

The FC units act like keyboards and monitors connected to a mainframe host, where the Fractal modeler would be the host. They send switch and foot pedal information to the modeler which acts on whatever message the switch sent, the modeler changes its state and returns information back to the FC that its screens and switch rings should look a certain way. So, FCs don’t actually control anything, instead they just reflect the state of the modeler and wait for switch inputs.

"FASLINK is not MIDI. The FC-6/12 are "terminals". They record button presses and send the button press to the host. The host sends messages to the terminal which tells the terminal what color to display on the LEDs and what text to display on the LCDs." [5]

If two FC-12 are connected to the same modeler, they will display the changes sent by the modeler. Having two FC units running at the same time is part of the design; a guitarist could have one on stage in front, and the tech could have an identical one in back, and either could be making the changes.

So, no, they can’t control each other, but either can send messages to the modeler which then tells them both to display the same thing, so they stay in sync, which accomplishes the same thing. If the Edit app is connected it will also update because it is basically doing the same thing.

So, is it possible to use a separate Midi Foot Board like the MeloAudio Midi Commander to make the FC12 switch layouts? Basically, I want to maximize using all the FC12 buttons...

Now it sounds like a separate question and you want to program the layouts using a MIDI device, which can’t do that. You can create layouts on the modeler itself or using the Edit app for that particular modeler only.

In general, a MIDI controller could be programmed to behave somewhat similarly as the FC, but it won’t automatically be updated to reflect the state of the modeler, by the modeler, after something changes. Instead, that controller would then have to ask the modeler for information about its state, then the controller has to change its display.

Some MIDI controllers are more aware of the Fractal MIDI SYSEX commands and integrate better. I don’t know what the MeloAudio has as far as its integration. Their webpage says they’re compatible, but I suspect they are only speaking of sending MIDI to control the modeler and then not reflect the changed modeler state, which means you have to do a lot of work to handle the second half of the process, or the MeloAudio could end up displaying out of sync indicators which, from personal experience, is really frustrating.

Morningstar has done a lot of work to integrate with Fractal’s FX3 and FM* units. There are others that also do the same. It’s worth investigating and spending the money wisely because the actual FC are very easy to work with and program. You can end up spending a lot of time trying to replicate the functionality of an FC with MIDI and still not come close.

Last edited:
Two FC12's do not have to mirror one another. That is one way to use them but it's not the only way. You could have each switch on one FC12 set to select a layout and have that layout appear on the other FC12.

I'm using an FC6 along with my FM9 and once I got the hang of what they can do it's pretty impressive how flexible they are.

Two FC12's do not have to mirror one another. That is one way to use them but it's not the only way. You could have each switch on one FC12 set to select a layout and have that layout appear on the other FC12.
Beat me to it.

I'm using an FC6 along with my FM9 and once I got the hang of what they can do it's pretty impressive how flexible they are.
Really? That's great is there any documentation? I looked through but have not checked axe edit lately for any updates to fc. Yep fc1 has the detailed layout then fc2 would select amps, effects & 2, presets, etc. Then lots of control and max use of button. So edit let's you set up different layouts for multiple fc. I will check any more info is appreciated...

Really? That's great is there any documentation? I looked through but have not checked axe edit lately for any updates to fc. Yep fc1 has the detailed layout then fc2 would select amps, effects & 2, presets, etc. Then lots of control and max use of button. So edit let's you set up different layouts for multiple fc. I will check any more info is appreciated...
You share the same 9 layouts. Each FC can be on a different one of those 9 layouts.

you can do that using Layout Links.

You have 9 layouts. Use one to control the other FC12, then you have 8 other layouts to setup and use.
I don't think FC#1 can affect the layout in use on FC#2 (or vice versa), which I think is what the OP is asking for... Although I'm not sure I understand the reason.

That is my old master preset, but you get the gist, it feeds 3 stereo amps.

Let's keep the convo going cause it's worth the effort for the flexibility...

That's my rig and I have one FC12 because my original concept for improvisational soloing was to have two FC12 but they could only be mirrors.

I want to have the right FC2 select the layouts on FC1 for a master preset I've put together with two delays, chorus, reverb, etc.

Then there are a ton of expression pedals to control delay time, chorus rate / depth, etc. And a need for lots of buttons to delay on/off and increment to the next channel A-D.

So it puts all the control you have with the mouse & axeedit at your feet. I don't make a preset using the scenes for specific songs.

If I all of a sudden want longer delay then throttle the expression pedal down, rotary, deeper chorus.

So, need Midi commands to FXiii from a midi controller or a FC to make the layout change on the other FC. Then all the buttons can be used and not wasted on administrative functions like up down preset selection. tap tempo, going to a master layout to call another layout, or other tricks like hitting both the buttons on the right to pull up a special function.

This is setup to rock and be full of power & features. I order a midi controller to try to make this feature work but would prefer to have two FC12.

I put it on the wishlist 2 yrs ago or so...

Also requesting that there is visual feedback on the LCD for the active expression value changing like a bar %

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII 52%
or
IIIIIIIIIIII 250ms

Expression pedal sweeps % between Top Dirty Amp and Bottom Clean Amp, I have all the amps in this master preset for several genre dictated by the amp like metal, blue, clean.

It's standardized and they tweak on the fly, but just need this last independent FC feature to make it perfect.

The FC#2 controls the active layout on the FC#1 feature...

Parallel setup, I'm glad you asked... I see you are a unix-guy so this is in your realm.

I see that it breaks from the norm in the way presets are set up but every placement was done with A/B testing for the position in the chain and whether series or parallel. Plus, I'm an EE and into the FPGA / DSP processing and throughput is critical. I suspect that the Fx will process the straight-through signal fast and then add the output from the parallel blocks as available, also freeing resources as it completes routines but I am just speculating. All I know is when I put them in parallel I got what I wanted which was the top-end frequency content.

Also, for the effects like chorus, flange, and pitch I want the results added in parallel not series. It seems to maintain clarity if multiple frequency modulation effects are on.

I'm into harmonic distortion and that parallel amp configuration has some serious fuzz right out of the output that I want all the way through unaltered. Mix block 1 at the amps sweeps between distortion & clean amps so you can get the exact blend of both, having a bit of clean in with the distortion makes the neo-classical rips pop with clarity.

Another key setup is I'm filtering the outputs to three stereo amps, Highs & Distortion high frequencies to the mesa to add the real-world tube sweetness into the top 4x12 cab with all Celestion F12-x200. Then more mid-range to the bottom 4x12 cab and finally the lows to the 4x10 cabs. That low end really fills in a big sound and utilizes extended-range instruments. Plus, click a bass preset and grab a bass it's ready to go.

Give it a try and see what you think, maybe it's not as critical anymore but I did this master preset when the fxiii first was out and I noticed over the years the updates had major improvements with cpu and tone.

Back to the FC control, so all those blocks are tied to expression pedals so I can sweep the time, depth and frequency for improvisation and not have to sit at the axeedit to run a mouse while I'm adlibbing.

I only use Scene 1 & 2:
1 has the rhythm amp release from the manufacturer or that series and then 2 has the high-gain version. I don't use the A - D channels as I opted to use all the available preset to hold a single Amp all alphabetized and in genre groups.

With all the expression flexibility those blocks are on a Global to cross-line changes to all. It's almost complete but needs to have the expanded control on the FC12's.

I'm really into this and went to school for electronics due to getting a guitar and tube amp in the 80's, I'm a luthier too.

Keep the convo going...

Is there a plan for a Fx4, as I am a resouces consumer?

Is it worth updating from the original fxiii to the turbo? To benefit this preset...

Back
Top Bottom