Continuous or Really Additive Hold - Reverb

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
Another product that I won't mention has, what I call an "additive hold" reverb. While I hold the foot switch down, each new note that I play gets added to the sound already being held or being infinitely sustained.

You have to be careful because adding in, or playing too many notes makes the volume swell.

Is there a way to do that? Is there a way to have an additive hold with any of the reverbs or other blocks in the Axe-Fx iii???

Thanks!
Additive Hold.png

OK - this is a question on how a certain block works (or functionality a block has or doesn't have) - but if those questions belong in the preset forum topic; yes, please move it there

You can sort of do this by increasing time while hold is on, then deactivating hold to add sound. The maximum (100 sec) isn't technically infinite but that's pretty slow decay. It would probably make sense to set it even lower to avoid excessive level with more stacking.

The easiest way to set this up would be separate hold & time toggles. It's possible but trickier to make an actual "add" switch that adjusts time and hold once you've activated the real hold switch. This would require a capable enough MIDI controller, or assigning a stopped LFO to hold with switches adjusting LFO parameters in a certain way.

You could also have a damped time modifier use the same switch as hold, and be able to switch hold off then add sound while time is maxed for some duration. This might not be ideal if you need to get out of hold mode and immediately continue playing with a more standard reverb sound.

with two switches (or expression controllers) it's easy. just have one assigned to time/feedback, so you can toggle between say 20% and 100% and another assigned to input gain to toggle between 0% and 100%.

with two switches (or expression controllers) it's easy. just have one assigned to time/feedback, so you can toggle between say 20% and 100% and another assigned to input gain to toggle between 0% and 100%.

The trouble there is that time at maximum still decays (slowly). For a true hold you have to use the hold function, which mutes the effect input.

so tie hold and input gain together with the same modifier. when you set input gain to 100%, turn off hold and vice versa. as long as the decay is set very long and you don't keep hold off too long, you shouldn't notice.

i never use reverb hold for these type of things, because it's a pain. i always feed a delay into a reverb set 100% wet. a delay will go on infinitely with feedback 100%.

Put a reverb block parallel to the main chain with a volume block in front of the reverb. Set the reverb time long and set the volume block bypass mode to mute. When you unmute volume block you add, mute stop adding. You could also experiment with the swell param in the volume block for different kinds of attack on the added notes.

As mentioned above the reverb tails decay over time. So you may not want the verb to run too long.

so tie hold and input gain together with the same modifier. when you set input gain to 100%, turn off hold and vice versa. as long as the decay is set very long and you don't keep hold off too long, you shouldn't notice.

The input gain modifier wouldn't do anything because hold already takes care of that.

The steps I listed above are a way to get a true hold (while not stacking sound) and also keep a usable normal reverb with shorter decay time when hold is off.

Put a reverb block parallel to the main chain with a volume block in front of the reverb. Set the reverb time long and set the volume block bypass mode to mute. When you unmute volume block you add, mute stop adding.

This much could be done without a volume block (in series or parallel) by controlling reverb input gain.

Thank you for all of the ideas. Actually.....I have a looper downstream near the end of the chain, so I'll record and loop the string pad sound rather than rely on the "hold button" on the reverb.

I also noticed this issue mentioned above when using the hold button, the signal level keeps decreasing over time. The looper will take care of that issue.

Back
Top Bottom