Continued support and updates for Standard and Ultra

It's not Cliff's support I'm worried about. I'm worried about losing the updates from the big users like Scott, Yek etc who I borrow (alright, steal) sounds and IRs from. They'll be experimenting and developing their ideas on the II and their insights may not work with the Axe Classic.

I'm not going away.

I plan on releasing all my presets I created with the Ultra. If you delete a few blocks, they'll run on a Standard. I will be doing them with just the free Red Wire Cab or stock User cabs as a courtesy so everyone that wants to can get inside them and have fun.

I have a lot of controllers on my effects wet/dry mixes attached to external expression pedals though. That's my only 'sticking' point. I'll have to be clear that folks with one or no expression pedals will have to remove those controllers.

I would think that development specifically for the first gen units is done. There's really no reason to based on the facts that there aren't really any bugs that I can think of, it does sound great, we've got a ton of stuff and his focus has to be on the new product's advancements, bug fixes, etc.

I do think that if there is something that he does along the way that can be ported over to the old AxeFX's that he'd probably do it. v11 firmware showed that there is enough similarity to share some stuff; it's going to come down to processing power limitations at some point though.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but there are 70+ great amps that all work; I plan on using them and don't really need to get that warm fuzzy feeling of new firmware if the product does what it's supposed to in the first place. I think that we've all been so used to needing updates and patches for every product on the planet that we feel like if we aren't messing with updates that it's forgotten...it could be that it just works once and for all. :)

Thanks Scott! Although I haven't really found your patches as a whole all that usable for me (we just use way different guitars and pickups), I have found a number of 'neat tricks' in some of the individual blocks that I have incorporated into my patches that have made them better.

So I guess you're kind of like those 3M commercials: "we don't make the products you buy, we make the product you buy *better*". :lol

Cliff said (i think) that an amp block in the axefx 2 code would take up 40% of cpu of one tigersharc processor (ultra has 1.... AxefxII has 2) I am a sparse effect user and never use 2 amp sims at the same time on my ultra and would love to see a firmware split for ultra in 2 categories : normal and mini-axefx2. The downsized axefx2 firmware would have the same amp code as the real axe-fx2 but its up to the user if he wants to load this firmware and risk his ultra's cpu reaching its limit more often.

Im sure someone will come along and tell me its not possible or feasable but i can dream cant i?

Last edited:
I am a sparse effect user and never use 2 amp sims at the same time on my ultra and would love to see a firmware split for ultra in 2 categories : normal and mini-axefx2. The downsized axefx2 firmware would have the same amp code as the real axe-fx2 but its up to the user if he wants to load this firmware and risk his ultra's cpu reaching its limit more often.

I have no idea if this would be feasible but I like the idea!

S.R.

It's not Cliff's support I'm worried about. I'm worried about losing the updates from the big users like Scott, Yek etc who I borrow (alright, steal) sounds and IRs from. They'll be experimenting and developing their ideas on the II and their insights may not work with the Axe Classic.

Well, the How-Tos and presets have ... almost ... reached full maturity so.... ;-)

Cliff said (i think) that an amp block in the axefx 2 code would take up 40% of cpu of one tigersharc processor (ultra has 1.... AxefxII has 2) I am a sparse effect user and never use 2 amp sims at the same time on my ultra and would love to see a firmware split for ultra in 2 categories : normal and mini-axefx2. The downsized axefx2 firmware would have the same amp code as the real axe-fx2 but its up to the user if he wants to load this firmware and risk his ultra's cpu reaching its limit more often.

Im sure someone will come along and tell me its not possible or feasable but i can dream cant i?

I have no idea if this would be feasible but I like the idea!

S.R.

IMHO, that's pie-in-the-sky stuff.

The AxeII has a 64-bit external memory bus for twice (2X) the RAM access speed, twice (2X) the actual RAM, sixteen (16X!!) the NVRAM.

I'm no tech expert by any stretch; but it's not compatible platforms. The AxeII is a different beastie.

IMHO, that's pie-in-the-sky stuff.

Probably, but I still like the idea ;-)

The AxeII has a 64-bit external memory bus for twice (2X) the RAM access speed, twice (2X) the actual RAM, sixteen (16X!!) the NVRAM.

I'm no tech expert by any stretch; but it's not compatible platforms. The AxeII is a different beastie.

So it seems the upgraded RAM and RAM access speed exactly matches the upgraded processing power:
Precisely enough to keep (2x) DSPs running simultaneously without any additional bottlenecks in memory access.
(But not actually more than that. Apparently the amount or RAM and it's access speed in the Ultra was a good match already!)

Lack of battery backed SRAM and or flash could potentially be a problem. I'm sure a lot of that is used for the larger amount of larger named IRs though.
for the mini-II I'd be happy to forgo that (keep the current 10 with same length) and/or only have 24 presets. (1/16th of the current 384)

Nothing wrong with daydreaming, is there? I don't have real expectations in this direction.

S.R.

Back
Top Bottom