Constant Click signal when using Axe-Fx spdif out into usb.2.0 Interface to Ipad4

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
Hi Fractalians,

For rehearsal and live recordings I planned to use my Ipad4 (with the Auria Sequencer), my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 usb2.0 class compliant interface, and my Axe FX II as mixing, synth playback and Inear-Monitoring system.

With a Windows64 Laptop, Studio One, and the Focusrite Scarlett Mix Software (which is a routing software matrix for latency free direct monitoring of the Focusrite Inputs) it already works.
I also had constant clicks in the guitar signal, when using the spdif-Out of the Axe FX, before I noticed that I had to set the Focusrite to spdif al Sync signal, what means that the AxeFx is the Master and the Focusrite is the slave.
But this works perfect now.

Long Story, short end: on my windows based laptop (and my windows-based) Studio PC, the connection via spdif works like a charm, but when I connect my Focusrite 18i20, together with the AxeFX (spdif out) into my Ipad, I hear
the guitar signal in a good quality, but set with constant clicks (those clicks don't run in the same time like the time-led of the Axe) even if the Focusrite shows a "Sync"-Status via LED-Indicator.

This forum may eventually not be the right place for this, but I told the problem to Focusrite and the Auria-Forum. And I seem to be the only one Axe-FX/Auria-user there.

Has anybody of you ever experienced these strange constant clicks, when using the spdif-out fom the Axe into a class compliant usb-interface's spdif-input? With my new SPL Crimson Audiointerface, the spdif signal from the Axe-FX
is crystal-clear without any clicks at all. The Crimson seems to sync to the spdif of the Axe FX automatically.

Any advice is welcome, and sorry in advance if I put this request in the wrong place. ;-)

Cheers,
Andy from Red Bull Country

48kHz on both devices? I think the axefx has no internal SRC. Other thing could be the power supply, which goes via USB only when connecting to your iPad. I believe the iPad doesn't feature the same output current as a hub in a high performance notebook.

Cheers
Paco from Cheese and Chocolate Country

I'm using 48 khz on all of my devices. The Ipad get's no power from the Focusrite's usb and does not power the Focusrite 18i20, which has it's own power supply. In Standalone-Mode, when the Focusrite is not connected to a pc/mac/ipad, it syncs automatically, when the Axe-Fx is on and connected to the Focusrite 18i20 via spdif (High-Quality) cable. I really don't know where this constant click-noise is coming from.

Because I initially wanted to use the ipad as small mobile Solution, I'm not using ANY Usb-Hubs at all. If fully loaded, the ipad's battery lasts long enough to be used in a 4 hour-rehearsal or a simple Live-Set.
By using the analogue Outs of the Axe-Fx into the ipad, there are no issues. It starts, when I connect the Focusrite to the ipad directly via CCK (as suggested by the Auria Developers). The Sync-Status LED on the Focusrite says "ok" but there are constant audio clicks (like the tick tack of an old mechanic watch) when I use the spdif.

Set sync source to SPDIF in soundcard driver preferences. It is click of sync attempt. I created topic about this recently. You can find discussion in this section.

If you would have read my First posting, you would have Seen, that the sync beetween the Axe FX and the Focusrite is ok. Spdif as Clock is Set. This is what makes me mad. The iPad seems to have problems with the sync of Those Two Units.

Excellent!

Set sync source to SPDIF in soundcard driver preferences. It is click of sync attempt. I created topic about this recently. You can find discussion in this section.

Just wanted to say thanks,,, using scarlett 6i6 and spider and had the same issue... setting sync to SPDI as apposed to Internal on Scarlett MixControl fixed the issue...

Back
Top Bottom