constant beep noise

derbstens

Hi guys,

I noticed a strange noise that I'm unable to locate. Sounds like this:

[attachment=2:343nnz48]constant beep AxeFX.mp3[/attachment:343nnz48]

In the middle of the audio file I disconnect the guitar cable then it disappears, plugging back in, it returns.

turning down the volume knob of the guitar makes it stop also.

I'm using Vovox cables, one new sonorus type and one of the older instrument cabels 3m long.

the patch I'm using with a customized IR looks as follows:

[attachment=1:343nnz48]immortal gnome beep.syx[/attachment:343nnz48]

I checked stock IRs aswell to exclude this as source for the noise, also I turned off every other electrical device in this place,

including computer, cellphone, Lan, Bluetooth, everything that works with electricity.

My Axe FX is Hooked up like this:

[attachment=0:343nnz48]Rack Verkabelung.pdf[/attachment:343nnz48]

Please help me locate this nasty noise.

thanks in advance

Sebastian

Attachments

• constant beep AxeFX.mp3
    215.1 KB · Views: 65
  • immortal gnome beep.syx
    2 KB · Views: 11
  • Rack Verkabelung.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 12
Doing this:

[attachment=0:1qmr6owd]Bildschirmfoto 2010-11-07 um 18.08.04.png[/attachment:1qmr6owd]

makes it sort of go away, but it kills some major amount of crispness of the tone.

As you can see the Q is extremely narrow.

What happens in this frequency?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2010-11-07 um 18.08.04.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 173
For some reason that sounds like a fan to me. I imagine that's a computer you are recording to; the fan may be throwing out some kind of RF and that frequency is probably the same as the what the fan is spinning at.

Of course without being in front of your gear I'm just guessing here.

Does moving around change the pitch or volume of the sound at all?

moving around does not change pitch, nor volume.
all fans and harddisks have been turned off during exclude session…
Only the Fireface was on and the Fostex monitors have been running.
I'll try direct outputs with fireface turned off tomorrow, but I think that cannot be it...

If turning down the volume on your guitar makes the noise stop, in my opinion, the noise is probably environmental and is entering through your guitar pickup.

This noise is not unlike what I experienced when I lived across the street from a cell tower. Moving my guitar/Axe from room to room did not help. Rotating the guitar just right could reduce the problem, but never eliminate it.

If the cause is in fact a wide-area external field (which you have no control over), you could try putting a choke inside your guitar. My solution was to move.

F#%~k
Now that you say it, there is a cell tower on the neighbour building.
This sucks monkey balls.
Gotta check in rehersal room next time but if so, what is this choke thing?
Isn't there some sort of anti space invading foil I could equip my flat with?

wait, the noise is also there if there is no guitar plugged into the AxeFx, just the cable does the job, is that changing something?

All my research says its the fan inside of the Axe itself that causes this noise I did not matter if I had a guitar/cable connected or not the noise was there regardless. I believe there is some RF generated by the fan that the circuitry picks up. I moved the fan around as I played (cover off) and the noise decreased/increased as I played. Didnt want to fry my Axe so I put it all back together. Either Ive just gotten used to it, or perhaps all that testing changed the routing of wiring to the fan causing the noise to decrease.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19455

I will tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions and replies.
I hope there is some healing to this.

@rmbaylin, you didn't send it back to fractal support then?

It wasn't the fan.
It somehow stopped though.
I'd locate it somewhere near the spdif cable, but at the moment I'm happy that I can
play without that background tinnitus.
I'll tidy up the rack a bit so there are no loose wall warts jumping around..

Back
Top Bottom