Consistentcey

What Amp are you guys using?
Is the Matrix GT1000 the one to go for? or is there other amps worth considering.

Andy

I would say that the only "uncosistent" thing is the electric flaw in every venue ... I have my real mesa with a voltage controller ( I don't recall how it's called in english ) his work is to have an even voltage ... but always it's a little different venue from venue ... it depends from the electric stuff ... lights \ audio , poor quality , interferences , ecc. ecc.
at the rehersal the analog rig ALWAYS sound monstrous good , at gigs not always ..

AxeFX is rreally honest , always the same BUT we can't expect to ear the same thing if we change something in the equation ( 4cm \ frint of the amo \ earplugs \ studio monitors ecc. )

I don´t know but it seems weird to put a digital simulation of a drive in front of an amp that has great drive possebilities.
I wouldn´t dream of putting anything "digital" in front of that amp. Mayby, just maybe, put the axe in the loop for reverb and delay´s ....
But not even that . The axe has not an analog direct-chain wich is what I go for if I use high quality-amps. Have you tried to put the axe in the return
jack. If you use the AXE wih a simple power-amp it´s so much easier to get consistent results I think. There is so much gains and tone-controls involved
if you put it in front of the amp.
Anyway, that´s my philosofi.

Hi guys
Does anyone else suffer from a lack of consistentcey in their sound?
I have the Axe fx xl, I use it with a Boogie MK V head and two 1x12 cabs. I use the BB drive for my lead sound.
Sometimes I have a great lead sound, some time it sounds awful. I'm really getting frustrated with this, I never got this inconsistency when I used pedals, but now It doing my head in.
I have the AXE setup in the 4CM though lastnight during the break I rewired it to go straight in front of the amp - unfortunately it made no difference. Last time I played this venue I had a fantastic sound, and I was set up in the same spot.
Does anyone else suffer from this lack of consistency in their sound?
My overdrive went from thick and creamy to thin and weedy with the reverb and delay distorting slightly.
I have not changes anything?

Any help advice would be greatly received.

What Amp are you guys using?
Is the Matrix GT1000 the one to go for? or is there other amps worth considering.

Andy

Usinig the GT1000FX over here and really dig it. Cliff has pointed out before that it's not perfectly flat, but it's close enough for me. I'd also bet you'd have a hard time finding flatter without a very significant budget jump.

My formula for consistency, first off, is to use only two amp blocks - a clean amp, and a dirty amp, and to make them global blocks. The same could be accomplished with a single global clean-ish amp, and maybe a global drive block for dirt. Anyway, start with consistency across patches. I also find that using a guitar cab helps to constrain the parameters, so to speak. I want the guitar-in-room sound and I don't run FRFR to DI to the house. I'm currently running a VOX 2x12 with the Celestion/Vox Neodog neodymium speakers and I've been really happy with that cab. It's amazingly light - one hand carry! The Neodog speakers have a really nice upper-end smoothness that helps control some of the potential "hi-fi" nature of the Axe. That's not a put-down towards the Axe, it's just that it has the ability to produce/reproduce all the high-end you throw at it, and more, and it's easy to have a bit too much of that pop out and bite you. The right guitar speaker can help tame that. Though I imaging the same can be said for the right cab block in a FRFR situation.

Next, my sound got even more consistent when I switched to a Matrix power amp. You'll find others mentioning this as well. I thought it'd be a compromise giving up my Fryette/VHT 2/90/2, but in all honesty, the Matrix sounds better. Yes, better. Not almost as good, but better. People seem fond of comparisons between the Matrix and the VHT and making statements like "the Matrix sounds 95% as good as the VHT". I think that many of us still cling to the idea that tubes just must sound better than solid state; it'd heresy to say otherwise! heh. I still have to remind myself to not cling to that outdated belief that tubes automatically mean it sounds good, or that solid-state means it can't sound good.

What I discovered is that out of the box the Matrix gave me much greater "punch", or transient response, a tighter sound (maybe better phase response?), a more predictable high-end response - essentially less "fizz" when cranked, and an overall more controlled frequency response across the board. The response of the Matrix has enabled me to really dial in my sound, consistently, and dial in whatever amount of sag, fizziness, and other non-linearities I want by taking advantage of the power-amp section of the amp block. In fact, I thought I'd miss the depth and presence controls on the VHT for some on-the-fly adjustment, but I've found that the Matrix is so much more sonically consistent than the VHT that I don't miss those controls.

Not saying the Matrix is the magic bullet, but it was the right move for my rig.

Last edited:
When I heard Consistency and Tubes in the same topic I seriously Laugh. That is the last thing you get with tubes, they age, different tubes sound different from the last batch, one tube amp sounds diff than the next ect ect. The Axe II now that is constant as one could get if you ask me. It just doesn't change from box to box, what you hear in 1 box is what u'll hear in another with the exact same guitar, cable pickups, speaker ect. SO yeah thanks for the good laugh:)

The Mark V is pretty consistent, at least compared to other amps I've owned. That's the upside to all the voices it has.

My AxeFx is inconsistent, it sounds great, then a few months later it sounds fantastic and then after a few more FWs it sounds even better. I don't know how much longer I can take this.

My frustration exactly jsletner! :mad:

Just when you think you have reach "tone-vana" the AXE changes and you realize just how much better your tone can be. :roll

Then you think you reach anther new tone-vana and - viola - another FW update and you realize once again just how much better your tone can be improved. :-x

:shock God forbid FAS introduces another generation of modelling ... :eek: ... sooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :encouragement: :encouragement: :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom