Considering switching strategies to multiple presets in lieu of one preset and many scenes

I'm surprised how many of you are doing a preset per song. I tried this when running an fx8 and the problems were one: we Segway songs together seamlessly in many occasions and is awkward to try to switch, and two: the song list always changes sometimes mid show. A special guest shows up, or a singer is not feeling a song, etc.
You're describing a need for instant random access to any preset/bank. That's a non-linear concept. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, all the foot switches out there are locked into a linear system.

As a result, if number of presets and number of song list changes are both high, you're screwed. What do players/bands do? They either reduce number of presets or number changes to song list, or both. IMO, that's a compromise that shouldn't be happening. This is why I run with http://gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lg.php

At my request, the programmer added a 10-key function. Punch in the number for your bank or preset and you're there -- instant random access -- non-linear.

There are arguments against (like memorizing is a pain). I have to memorize lyrics to 160 songs, so that's not a problem. In summary, if you want maximum song list flexibility AND a kick-*ss preset for each song, it's an effective solution. I do both and love using a non-linear foot switch system.

Okay after much deliberation I am going to go with the general consensus of doing a standard preset, and then copies of that preset with specialty patches for songs tha don't work with the standard patch. I'm reading up on global blocks.. This is the only thing that makes this appealing imo. Being able to use a global amp and cab for all my presets should make updating a breeze when Q10 comes out next week.

Now to decide how to keep track of everything. I think I'm going to get a new iPad so I can run either setlist maker or Fracpad. Have it setup on a mic stand back by my rig so I can have a visual to scroll through. I'd love to have a rjm controller but damn if the cost isn't way the f n over the top and then some.

Why does a bypassed block use cpu?
Because bypassed blocks are still running, able to take signal on a moment's notice. When you unbypass a block, you want it to work now. You don't want to have to wait for it to load and execute.

Also, if you use MUTE FX IN to bypass a reverb, for instance, you don't want to just kill the reverb. You still want the tails to ring out. You can't do that if the bypassed block isn't running anymore.

Why does a bypassed block use cpu?
When you load a Fuzz block for example, a Fuzz circuit with transistor, capacitor, resistor, and inductor functions is magically created, but it takes a little time. Then, the circuit is active and the block is waiting to be switched into the chain at input and output in various ways based on bypass mode. That's my guess.

Last edited:
When I switch sounds mid song it's from cleans to distorted or to solo or the other way round. I need to change my playing style (strumming to lead lines to muffeld 8th and so) as well in the moment that I change the sound...so that very short audio gap when changing the preset is not that big of a problem to me. There's only a few songs where the moment of switching is critical and needs good timing.

Both ways scenes/ presets work.

You're describing a need for instant random access to any preset/bank. That's a non-linear concept. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, all the foot switches out there are locked into a linear system.

As a result, if number of presets and number of song list changes are both high, you're screwed. What do players/bands do? They either reduce number of presets or number changes to song list, or both. IMO, that's a compromise that shouldn't be happening. This is why I run with http://gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lg.php

At my request, the programmer added a 10-key function. Punch in the number for your bank or preset and you're there -- instant random access -- non-linear.

There are arguments against (like memorizing is a pain). I have to memorize lyrics to 160 songs, so that's not a problem. In summary, if you want maximum song list flexibility AND a kick-*ss preset for each song, it's an effective solution. I do both and love using a non-linear foot switch system.

Yes, RJM also provides a numeric function on the MM GT. I like the Song Menu (menu of songs in alphabetical order) even more, but that requires a controller with scribble strips and a whole lotta buttons.

I use 5 presets, 5 scenes , 12 iA the way i work is that all presets kan be clean (more or less) and all 5 presets can be (crunchy to heavy), also i have a mission springloaded Wah with autoengage (its outside the photo)
I play cover weddings, bars, Coperate gigs, and have to cover 50 years of music and sounds.

Attachments

• Publikation1.jpg
    Publikation1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
My band plays a wide range of pop covers, but we don’t try to emulate the original record. So I use just five patches. Four patches are identical except for the amp settings. The fifth patch has an acoustic simulation. Each patch has two amp blocks, so I can switch to a different amp for solos without changing patch.

With just five patches I can use the top row of my MFC for patch selection. The lower rows, which are easier to hit during performance, are all IAs.

I’ve limited my MFC to two banks. Whenever I change a patch the old version goes into bank two. So it’s available for comparison, or emergency fall back of the new patch doesn’t work. That’s proved quite useful when trying out the new speaker compression feature.

I use one preset with 5 scenes to cover 80% of our covers set (AxeFX with 2 amp blocks and X/Y) ...... other more oddball songs get their own preset. But I stick to a formula where the clean(est) tone is Scene 1 and the Solo is Scene 5 ...... the main riff tone (usually most of song uses this) is Scene 3 .... that leaves me Scene 2 and Scene 4 to add multiple stomps without tap dancing on the IAs (usually it's adding mod + delay combination to whatever Scene precedes).

Mucking about with the guitar vol keeps me right for the most part in any scene ....... I'd probably do a more comprehensive song per preset setup if I was in a tribute act ..... but we cover mostly 80's/90's rock stuff and really I don't have to strain too hard to make one preset work for that genre :)
I want to use AxeFX with 2 amp blocks to avoid the X/Y gaps... Do you have a sample preset? The reason that I ask, is that I'm not sure if/how to put them in Axe-Edit, meaning parallel or in series (By the way, I ONLY want one amp at a time, not a dual amp tone)...

I want to use AxeFX with 2 amp blocks to avoid the X/Y gaps... Do you have a sample preset? The reason that I ask, is that I'm not sure if/how to put them in Axe-Edit, meaning parallel or in series (By the way, I ONLY want one amp at a time, not a dual amp tone)...

Always one in parallel to the other and alter the bypass state on each to Mute. Pick which one is active or bypassed per scene and what x/y state it will be in and (if you're a klutz like me) save the preset after you create each scene.

As for an example preset, Yek has it all done for you already :) Just download some of his presets from here and open one and have a look at how it's laid out

Thank you sir! You saved me some time... I have one preset in particular that has made want to do this (exp 3 was turning the amp boos on and off, then I added a filter to compensate for some of the db, then the amp X/Y gap was a little more than I desired, then so on and so on ha ha... I had my AX8 for over a year, then switched to XL+ so I could do this stuff, I've been able to tweak less and play more now.. way cool etc.. Your tip here will reduce gaps even more and offer me a few more tools in the tweaking toolset.. I'm a happy man... Rock-on...

I have an XL but I still use my Ultra for live work because preset change is instant and seamless.

I've been considering stepping up to an AxeFX II XL+. I currently have an FX-8.
My main issue is the lag time between presets on the FX-8.

Does the Ultra have seamless patch changes?
Does it have Delay Spillover between Presets?

Does copying Presets on the XL+ (and simply muting unused FX) negate any glitches?
Would this allow for Delay Spillover?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to put all of the puzzle pieces together and see what will work best for my situation.

My XL switches really quick, much faster than the ax8 but if you start maxing out cpu it slows down a bit. If you need it to be instant it's just a matter of setting yr patch up right

Agreed... I'm getting better and doing it.. I also just had a blast playing with Yek's presets! Flute, Cello, nice amp tones... it was like a stream of consciousness - ha ha...

Preset per song here. I leave my MFC-101 in 'reveal' mode all night. I have the MFC in 'set' mode and step through the presets/songs by using the 'Bank' button (or use a tablet with 'Setlist Maker').

A good portion of the presets are just copies of my main preset (Moke's JCM-800), with some minor tweaks (re-named after song title, delay times, different modulation effects, gain levels, etc...). The new preset names also acts as a set list.

I use a standardized scene convention to keep me from being confused.

More work at home........but way easier for me at the gig........
^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom