Considering purchasing an Axe-FX II

random3

Hi guys, I this is my first post here, figured I would check out the forums and see if anyone can advise me.

This post will probably be lengthy so thanks in advance to anyone who reads it all!

I am considering purchasing an Axe-FX II and foot controller possibly in a few months if I have the money.

Firstly, I will list my current gear before asking questions:

Guitars: I won't list them, but I have multiple guitars and basses.
Amp and cab: Peavey 6505 head and Marshall 1960AV cab.
Pedals: Morley Bad Horsie II, Ibanez TS9DX, Boss NS2, TC Electronic Flashback X4, TC Electronic Dreamscape, Korg Pitchblack.
Computer and peripherals: iMac, Presonus Audiobox 2x2, Shure SM57, Sennheiser E606, Yamaha HS50s.

Now that's out the way, on to my questions. I am well aware of the capabilities of the Axe-FX II as many bands I am into use them both live and in the studio. My questions aren't so much regarding how to use the unit, as I am sure if I purchase one I will learn this fine, I would like to know more how the unit will integrate with my current gear, both for live and home usage.

1. Do I absolutely need to purchase a power amp unit in order to play the Axe-FX II through my cab? Or could I use the 6505 instead of a power amp unit?

2. Is there any reason I would want to do this if I can simply play through my Yamaha monitors (aside from volume of course).

3. Assuming I am happy with the way the Axe-FX II sounds, is there any reason I would want to keep my 6505?

4. Regarding my pedals, which ones would become obsolete if I had the Axe-FX II? I assume the noise gate and tuner pedals are a given, what about the wah, overdrive and modulation/delay effects?

5. If I wanted to keep, say, my wah pedal, can I simply place the wah before the Axe-FX II and use it as per normal?

6. Can I power any pedals I decide to keep with either the Axe-FX II or the foot controller?

7. I have read that the Axe-FX II will take the place of an interface, meaning I won't need my Presonus Audiobox. Can I plug my microphones into the Axe-FX II and record other instruments, or can the unit only record a guitar that has been directly plugged into it?

8. When I get back into playing live I would almost certainly buy the foot controller, but how useful is it for home usage? Is changing presets or adding effects quick enough to be done on the fly when playing at home?

That's all I can really think of now, I will post again in this thread if I think of anything else.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi guys, I this is my first post here, figured I would check out the forums and see if anyone can advise me.

This post will probably be lengthy so thanks in advance to anyone who reads it all!

I am considering purchasing an Axe-FX II and foot controller possibly in a few months if I have the money.

Firstly, I will list my current gear before asking questions:

Guitars: I won't list them, but I have multiple guitars and basses.
Amp and cab: Peavey 6505 head and Marshall 1960AV cab.
Pedals: Morley Bad Horsie II, Ibanez TS9DX, Boss NS2, TC Electronic Flashback X4, TC Electronic Dreamscape, Korg Pitchblack.
Computer and peripherals: iMac, Presonus Audiobox 2x2, Shure SM57, Sennheiser E606, Yamaha HS50s.

Now that's out the way, on to my questions. I am well aware of the capabilities of the Axe-FX II as many bands I am into use them both live and in the studio. My questions aren't so much regarding how to use the unit, as I am sure if I purchase one I will learn this fine, I would like to know more how the unit will integrate with my current gear, both for live and home usage.

1. Do I absolutely need to purchase a power amp unit in order to play the Axe-FX II through my cab? Or could I use the 6505 instead of a power amp unit?

2. Is there any reason I would want to do this if I can simply play through my Yamaha monitors (aside from volume of course).

3. Assuming I am happy with the way the Axe-FX II sounds, is there any reason I would want to keep my 6505?

4. Regarding my pedals, which ones would become obsolete if I had the Axe-FX II? I assume the noise gate and tuner pedals are a given, what about the wah, overdrive and modulation/delay effects?

5. If I wanted to keep, say, my wah pedal, can I simply place the wah before the Axe-FX II and use it as per normal?

6. Can I power any pedals I decide to keep with either the Axe-FX II or the foot controller?

7. I have read that the Axe-FX II will take the place of an interface, meaning I won't need my Presonus Audiobox. Can I plug my microphones into the Axe-FX II and record other instruments, or can the unit only record a guitar that has been directly plugged into it?

8. When I get back into playing live I would almost certainly buy the foot controller, but how useful is it for home usage? Is changing presets or adding effects quick enough to be done on the fly when playing at home?

That's all I can really think of now, I will post again in this thread if I think of anything else.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

You could use the 6505 as a poweramp. The user manual will show you 2 different ways to go about it.

If you like the "amp in the room thunk" you should use the 6505 for a poweramp and a 4x12

See above.

You might prefer your regular wah and overdrives, but for delay, reverb, chorus, flange and extra EQ the Axe Fx II has everything beat.

Yep

Probably not

Maybe. I've never tried that.

8. When I get back into playing live I would almost certainly buy the foot controller, but how useful is it for home usage?

I can't comment on this, as I use an old Boss Gt-10 as a midi controller and it suits my needs

Is changing presets or adding effects quick enough to be done on the fly when playing at home?

Yes no and maybe. Try it and judge for yourself

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Amazingly helpful reply Metalgarth. In the fine traditions of this Forum.

All these questions and more can be answered by a careful read through of the Axe wiki and by downloading the various handbooks. It's all very clear, and any further questions can be answered by looking at all the discussions here - including quite of few discussions that are exactly the same as this one.

It's better that you do this now, as when you buy, you'll have to do it anyway to get up and running - and you'll have spent a lot of money.

So just do the reading...

The AxeFx is generally designed to be used with guitars, basses, other stringed instruments, and even keyboards and synths..anything with a 1/4" output. It would be a splendid addition to have MIC inputs on the rear panel as an option to make it function as a bona fide mic preamp audio interface, but it really isn't designed to be used as such.

How many mics are you talking about using at one time?

If you have a mic, you would need to plug it into some type of mic preamp or mixer of some kind (there are many small format 1 or 2 mic input mixers out there for short money) which has a 1/4" line out (or adapt from an XLR line out) and plug into the rear inputs of the AxeFxII. Audio is audio, and provided you are sending a healthy, noise free signal from your mic preamp/mixer, the AxeFxII is no different than any other piece of processing gear. You'll still need to pay attention to the settings in the main I/O menu to make sure they are set properly for input selection and input level to the AxeFx.

If you're using more than one mic, then you'll need to pay very close attention to the routing and panning of each mic in order to keep their signal paths discrete (not bleeding one in to another), and again, use a mic mixer's L & R outputs to send to Input 1 Left and Right on the AxeFx.

OTHO, I've heard of those who use "ghetto" techniques with a low to high impedance adapter from their microphone (to 1/4" male), straight in the AxefxII and it works for them. This is not really a good way to go on a technical level, but depending on how much that matters to you, it might work. Again...ghetto.

If you need a second oppinion on this, here's my list of answers:
You can plug it into the return of the 6505 just fine, as you can disable the poweramp modelling of the Axe. However, when you want to use other amp models, remember that the poweramp of the 6505 colors the sound and might not be a perfect match with a lot of other amps.

Going FRFR is always a huge step for people used to the "amp in the room" sound. I'd definitely try it out once (because of all the nice benefits FRFR offers) and let your ears decide if you can accept that FRFR will never sound the same as an amp "moving air".
If you care about what your audience hears and want to hear the same, then FRFR is your way to go!

As a backup and for fun. Some people swear to hear a difference between real tubes and the Axe. I can't.

The horsey is modelled in the Axe. But remember that general purpose expression pedals often have a different touch and feel. I'd keep it until you are sure you won't miss it. Noisegate and tuner will become obsolete. You probably won't need any overdrive pedals (simply because you can switch amps at button press) and they will add noise/tone coloration anyway. The dreamscape basicly gets obsolete aswell, there's almost nothing modulation-wise that you can not do with a little tweaking. However, if you don't need the money badly, keep it just in case (because, you know, cpu limit)!

Yes. But remember that any additional pedal will add noise.

No.

There are no XLR inputs on the Axe, so you might still use your Audiobox and only use the Axe for recording guitar tracks.
Also, there is no mic-preamp in the Axe.

Once you've made the initial setup of your MFC, there's nothing you'd need to tweak anymore. The buttons will be consistent for all of your presets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom