Considering new speaker cab for Atomic Reactor 50/50.... What to get?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I'm considering getting a new 2x12 cab to replace my V30 loaded semi open back The Valve cab. I've been consistently dissatisfied with my sound for a long time and I suspect the cab may have something to do with it. (I find the mids and highs harsh but impossible to dial out without my tone sounding muddy.)

I have little experience using different cabs and speakers so I was wondering whether there are some recommended ones to use with the Axe-FX and Atomic Reactor 50/50 amp?

Unless you find a speaker that is just absolutely right for you, and that you want to use with every type of amp sim, I´d advice you to take a very close look at the EVM12L's.
I must admit that I haven't tried them myself yet, but that's where I´m heading with "real" cabs. Check out the numerous posts about EVM equipped cabs already on this forum.
I have my IEM system down, but still need a real cab (EVM12L's) and a FRFR wedge setup (undecided as of yet)
RB

While different closed back cabs can make a difference it's not usually that big a difference between open back ones.

I'd say the best option is to try a different speaker set in it before blaming the cab - I can recommend the EVM12L as having fantastically smooth response for upper mids and highs. They do cost a bit but they are rugged - practically overbuilt - and at 200W rating (the 'Classic' version) they will stand a good bit of volume and not deteriorate the sound through a large db range.

i am running my axe through a reactor 50/50 and into a mesa 4x12 recto cab. i'm not disappointed with the tone, but the recto cab is a one trick pony. although the evm's look interesting, i suspect there will be more offerings to choose from in the near future so i'm holding off on any speaker purchases until the next round of cabs focused on the modeling market emerge.

i am running my axe through a reactor 50/50 and into a mesa 4x12 recto cab. i'm not disappointed with the tone, but the recto cab is a one trick pony. although the evm's look interesting, i suspect there will be more offerings to choose from in the near future so i'm holding off on any speaker purchases until the next round of cabs focused on the modeling market emerge.

I'm with you on this one...currently considering getting the atomic 50/50 but what cab??? i think i may hold off as well to see further developments in this area. mhd1970: are you hoping for a new product from a company like atomic to come up with a newer cab designed for modellers?

I was recommended by someone in this forum with the Tri112L by Accugroove... its about 800, with 4 speakers, bass, mid and 2 tweeters... Bass players swear by this cab... I ordered one but I dont have the 50/50 Atomic.. but a VHT... when I get it Ill let you know... but check it... that audiophile on steriods slogan is just what an equipment like Axe needs I guess...

I'm with you on this one...currently considering getting the atomic 50/50 but what cab??? i think i may hold off as well to see further developments in this area. mhd1970: are you hoping for a new product from a company like atomic to come up with a newer cab designed for modellers?

yes, i think it's pretty obvious that atomic has something in the works based on the hint of something coming soon on their website plus other speculation around the forum. then there's the fella that's working on a FRFR 2x10 with a 2x12 in the works - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/40705-xitone-x7-cab.html

i also think there will be more to come from other players. there is a clear demand for this and others will want to capture those dollars (get 'em while they're hot)

I was recommended by someone in this forum with the Tri112L by Accugroove... its about 800, with 4 speakers, bass, mid and 2 tweeters... Bass players swear by this cab... I ordered one but I dont have the 50/50 Atomic.. but a VHT... when I get it Ill let you know... but check it... that audiophile on steriods slogan is just what an equipment like Axe needs I guess...

that sounds pretty interesting. be sure to let us know what you think when you get it!

I hope the reason for this is that new model will come out with a redesign. would love to see a 2x12 passive cabinet with Mono/stereo capability

I just came across these Rivera cabs. They're extension cabinets designed for the Sedona Acoustic Amp. They are supposed to be full range and contain an EV speaker and tweeter.
I like the idea that they look very guitaristic.. I'm keen for FR but also want an amp aesthetic.

Sedona 112 EXT

Back
Top Bottom