Considering Axe Fx Ultra - Is it right for me? Line6 user

JohnRaptor

Inspired
Hi everyone. Wow, what a great community. I am hoping someone can help me here.

After hearing brief mentions of the Axe Fx ultra I have finally decided to check it out and wow am I impressed with what I am hearing so far! The price tag is hefty but if the Axe fx is as good as it's being described as I can see its more than worth it.

I am primarily a metal and instrumental player. I play lots of Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy, Yngwie, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Kiko Louriero, Marty Friedman, Judas Priest, Wasp etc. I am currently using a Line 6 Spider Jam amp and POD farm software for recording. I have watched lots of Axe Fx vids on youtube and I mostly see vids of classic rock type stuff, blues, some jazz, rock etc. I haven't really come across much metal being made with the Axe Fx. I admit I havent investigated the Axe Fx forum thoroughly yet but I am reading and learning as much as I can. I did read from a few reviews that the Axe is better for getting classic standard rock tones and it doesn't really have many high gain amps to get a blistering metal tone. Is this true?

I am sure I will learn more as I continue reading the forum but I did have a few quick questions I was hoping I could get some opinions on real quick.

1 - Is the Axe FX capable of great metal tones from the likes of the bands i mentioned?

2 - I want to record through the Axe and play at bedroom levels, possibly live later. What is the general consensus on what would be a great Power amp/ cabinet combination to run the Axe thru ? I see the Atomic Reactor on the home page and may consider that.

3- Is a Tube power amp preferred over a solid state or is it just a matter of choice? I see a few people mention some Carvins power amps, which models are the preferred choice?

4 - I heard editing is pretty difficult, does the software editor make the process alot easier than editing on the unit itself. Is there a place to see any screenshots of what the editor looks like and get more info on it?

5 - I noticed the patch exchange is gone, is a new one going to be back up soon?

6 - Does the Axe Fx sound good at bedroom levels or does it only sound good when cranked?

Coming from a line6 background alot of this is new territory but I am very interested in the AXE fx and I am just about ready to order the Ultra. I record with alot of Soft synths so I'm not scared of getting in there and messing around with alot of editing. I have read that it stomps all over the Line 6 modellers I'm use to and from my preliminary reading the Axe fx may be just what I'm looking for.

> 1 - Is the Axe FX capable of great metal tones from the likes of the bands i mentioned?

Absolutely. Check out the Review forum, and you'll find some excellent recordings.

> 2 - I want to record through the Axe and play at bedroom levels, possibly live later. What is the general consensus on what would be a great Power amp/ cabinet combination to run the Axe thru ? I see the Atomic Reactor on the home page and may consider that.

There are two primary options: one is to go FRFR like the Atomic, or get a SS poweramp/cab for the more traditional setup. Both work well, it just depends on your needs and preferences. The Amps/Cabs forum has a good thread on FRFR stickied.

> 3- Is a Tube power amp preferred over a solid state or is it just a matter of choice? I see a few people mention some Carvins power amps, which models are the preferred choice?

There are folks who swear by both, and both work well. I run with a SS poweramp myself.

> 4 - I heard editing is pretty difficult, does the software editor make the process alot easier than editing on the unit itself. Is there a place to see any screenshots of what the editor looks like and get more info on it?

Editing's on the unit itself is not that bad once you get the hang of it - I've certainly seen worse. I don't really use the editor myself much. But here's the link for the editor: http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-axe-edit.html

> 5 - I noticed the patch exchange is gone, is a new one going to be back up soon?

It's available via the editor.

> 6 - Does the Axe Fx sound good at bedroom levels or does it only sound good when cranked?

Yes it does. That said, there's nothing like rocking out with your pant legs flapping. :D

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Mikeyen already gave you some helpful answers so I'm not gonna try answer your questions
by saying pretty much the same he said.
However, considering your favorite artists and influences you might be satisfied with Standard as well,
Standard offers the same amp models, same drive pedals, same cabs, same effects (at least most of them),
it has less memory and computer power to handle more tasking presets (U2 wicked stuff etc).
And yeah, you can nail those metal sounds with an AxeFx in a sec. ;)

JohnRaptor: I just got my Ultra 5 days ago so i can't give a full recommendation for it yet. But i will say that so far it absolutely smokes Line 6 for direct recording. I just have my Axe going to my computer speakers. I liked my line 6 spider i had, but i always thought the Line 6 stuff is horrible for direct recording

I'm big into Metal and i think that's one of the hardest things to get is a good heavy but tight rhythm sound and so far i've gotten a super heavy tone that is also tight. There's some work i need to do to get it up to where i want it, but for me not knowing much about how to tweak the axe it's really good

:D
Longtime Line 6 guy here.
Had Ax2 212 for years, still have a POD XT with all Model packs, and Podfarm.
Love their stuff.

Bought an Axe-Fx Ultra last fall.

I have not used my Pod XT since.

Use the Axe-Fx through mixer/amp/monitors setup and also through FX Loop of a Mesa F-50 1X12 combo.

It is pretty amazing.

Hi again everyone. Thanks so much for all of your great responses. They have all really helped me out alot and I really appreciate your help. I've been sitting here for a couple hours reading the forum and learning this and that. I am getting more hyped with the more I learn about the Axe fx! Right now I'm trying to compile a list of what kind of setup to get to go with my Axe Fx. I have been reading about FRFR but I think I will go with a SS power amp and cab setup. One of the PA's at the top of my list is the Art SLA-1. Sounds pretty good from what I have been reading. The cab choices have me stumped though. I will be using this in my bedroom/home studio jam room so to speak so I do not need anything that is going to blow my walls down. Would you guys recommend a 2X12 cab? I would imagine a 4X12 would be too much but not sure. I currently play through a small Spider Jam which I think is a 10" speaker. I also notice that alot of people have two cabs for stereo, I was thinking of going that route as well but maybe I could just get by on a single cab for now.

I have also read alot about recording interfaces. I have a MacPro so I am thinking of the Apogee duet. Since I am only going to be recording a single channel at one time this should work for me. Anyone have the duet and any opinions on it?

My biggest reason for getting the Axe will be for direct recording but I also want it to Jam with so I guess it will be serving dual purposes. I can get okay tones through my Line6 POD but nothing I am overly impressed with. I'm hoping the Axe will resolve this and allow me to finally get those larger than life tones that will bring my music to a whole new level. From the few clips I have watched on youtube and heard on this forum I think I am in for a huge ear opening experience compared to what I've been getting through my POD tones. :D

Oh I did have another question regarding the patch exchange. Is it pretty extensive like the Like 6 patch exchange? I wish there was a way to search it now to see whats in there but I guess I'll have to wait. Does anyone know if there are any good Yngwie Malmsteen patches? I'm working my through Far Beyond the sun and it would be cool to have a great sounding Yngwie patch.

Anyway I am super excited about the Axe Fx. I am ordering it tomorrow and I cant wait to get it!

JohnRaptor said:
Hi again everyone. Thanks so much for all of your great responses. They have all really helped me out alot and I really appreciate your help. I've been sitting here for a couple hours reading the forum and learning this and that. I am getting more hyped with the more I learn about the Axe fx! Right now I'm trying to compile a list of what kind of setup to get to go with my Axe Fx. I have been reading about FRFR but I think I will go with a SS power amp and cab setup. One of the PA's at the top of my list is the Art SLA-1. Sounds pretty good from what I have been reading. The cab choices have me stumped though. I will be using this in my bedroom/home studio jam room so to speak so I do not need anything that is going to blow my walls down. Would you guys recommend a 2X12 cab? I would imagine a 4X12 would be too much but not sure. I currently play through a small Spider Jam which I think is a 10" speaker. I also notice that alot of people have two cabs for stereo, I was thinking of going that route as well but maybe I could just get by on a single cab for now.

I have also read alot about recording interfaces. I have a MacPro so I am thinking of the Apogee duet. Since I am only going to be recording a single channel at one time this should work for me. Anyone have the duet and any opinions on it?

My biggest reason for getting the Axe will be for direct recording but I also want it to Jam with so I guess it will be serving dual purposes. I can get okay tones through my Line6 POD but nothing I am overly impressed with. I'm hoping the Axe will resolve this and allow me to finally get those larger than life tones that will bring my music to a whole new level. From the few clips I have watched on youtube and heard on this forum I think I am in for a huge ear opening experience compared to what I've been getting through my POD tones. :D

Oh I did have another question regarding the patch exchange. Is it pretty extensive like the Like 6 patch exchange? I wish there was a way to search it now to see whats in there but I guess I'll have to wait. Does anyone know if there are any good Yngwie Malmsteen patches? I'm working my through Far Beyond the sun and it would be cool to have a great sounding Yngwie patch.

Anyway I am super excited about the Axe Fx. I am ordering it tomorrow and I cant wait to get it!

I believe you can download the Axe-editor and call up the axe-change via the preset manager right now if you so choose. The presets are in banks (A through I) and some have a brief description.

My own POD X3 Live is collecting dust, though maybe one of these days I'll get around to setting it up as a foot-controller until Fractal's is released.

JohnRaptor said:

As for patches- right now there are about 1000 or so on the exchange.
Like the Line 6 patch exchange-some are good and some not so good.
You will find certain users who upload are very talented.
I am not a Yngwie guy so have not sought his sound.
I am sure there are many good examples of his sound and similar setups in there.

Honestly-even after a few months I mostly use stock patches and just make a tweak here or there.

As the matter of fact there is one factory preset called "Yngwie" and it sounds pretty Yngwieish to me,
I played it both through my studio monitors and PA, very close imo
but you might wanna edit it up to your tastes and to match it with rest of your gear.
Apogee duet seems to be fine tho, it has 2 XLRs on its adapter which will work
perfectly with AxeFx for recording.

"From the few clips I have watched on youtube and heard on this forum I think I am in for a huge ear opening experience compared to what I've been getting through my POD tones."
Yes you are right, you're about to experience tone nirvana.
But it's not just that, you're also about to experience FEEL nirvana
which is a biggest plus when it comes to AxeFx, you'll see. :)

Marty Friedman actually plays an Axe-FX. So does Chris Broderick, so there you have Megadeth covered. And Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Dan Spitz (Anthrax), Pete Thorn (Chris Cornell), Jeff Schroeder (Pumpkins), Jon Petrucci (at least backstage), Marco Sfogli :shock: , Muris Varajic ;) (Check out his youtubes), etc...

All of them actually use Axe-FXes. Most even go direct. And a couple actively participate in this forum.

'Nuff said?

Dutch said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jAx92JgPQ

:shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW, This was most probably not played with the Axe-FX, but could easily be. The Axe-FX sounds better. :lol:
:shock: again.

Oh noooooo, that was Korg Pandora PX4D, please, remove the link. :lol:

I am a recovering Vetta II user of 5 or so years. The second I plugged into the axe, I knew I didn't want to use the vetta anymore.

The only thing I haven't been able to nail is the whammster effect. I can get close, but the axe's tracking is too good!

Sidivan said:
I am a recovering Vetta II user of 5 or so years. The second I plugged into the axe, I knew I didn't want to use the vetta anymore.

The only thing I haven't been able to nail is the whammster effect. I can get close, but the axe's tracking is too good!

I was seriously considering getting the Vetta 2 within the last couple weeks until I heard about the Axe fx and started looking into it. I'm so glad I didnt order the Vetta! I'm sure it's great and all but it sounds like the Axe fx is just on a higher plane of sonic kickassness. :lol:

I can't believe you haven't seen/heard much metal stuff. Go on myspace and type in Enditol or go to Bulb's or Tesseract's myspace. Just 3 examples of much awesome Axe-FX Metal right now. Yeah I had a Spider Jam which is actually a cool combo but it's light years behind what an Axe-Fx can do. You'll be laughing at this thread after you own an Axe-Fx for a couple of months I bet... :roll: :lol:

Muris_Varajic said:
Dutch said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jAx92JgPQ

:shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW, This was most probably not played with the Axe-FX, but could easily be. The Axe-FX sounds better. :lol:
:shock: again.

Oh noooooo, that was Korg Pandora PX4D, please, remove the link. :lol:
That playing is awesome! Playing still surpasses tone in my book. The link stays up. If you don't mind. It's your clip.

JohnRaptor said:
Sidivan said:

I was seriously considering getting the Vetta 2 within the last couple weeks until I heard about the Axe fx and started looking into it. I'm so glad I didnt order the Vetta! I'm sure it's great and all but it sounds like the Axe fx is just on a higher plane of sonic kickassness. :lol:

In it's defense, the Vetta does sound good. I confirmed this tonight as I saw the guy that I sold my Vetta to play. He kept my patches and he was using a couple of them... in fact, his main sound was one of my patches. It sounded great with his guitar and style!

The thing I like about the axe, coincidentally the most frustrating part as well, is how deep you can go with it. I was never able to get a good wah sound out of the Vetta because you can't change the parameters. With a lot of work, I was able to dial in a nice wah with the axe. Lately, I've been messing with the advanced tab in the amp settings... it's a trip. I had to use 2 amps to get a good sound with the Vetta. I can use a single amp and a single cab, yet have a tremendous array of sounds with the axe. I spent a lot more time playing my instrument when I had the Vetta; now I spend a heck of a lot more time fiddling with knobs.

BTW, I also had a Vetta before this. Trust us, this thing is better. Way. The Vetta was pretty good, but never really satisfying to me, even though I tried very hard to convince myself. The Axe-FX is and I don't think I'm deluding myself this time.

I would not have rescued the Vetta out of a burning building. But I would consider the Ultra. After the really important stuff of course. Also because it's the most expensive single piece of equipment I own.

Back
Top Bottom