Considering a CLR after reading this glowing detailed review

Have just pulled the trigger on a pair even though I won't get to use them until September, but exchange rate fortunes mean I'm saving quite a bit.

The CLRs are flat at and sounds great at low volumes, but our ears sensitivity to certain frequencies changes with volume (Fletcher Munson curve Fletcher), so it's always best to dial your presets at gig volume, and you should at least IMO audition them at practice before using them at shows.

How is the fletcher munson curve with the CLR's? not as exaggerated? like say with a normal PA speaker? Do you put a PEQ at the end of your patches to compensate for the curve with the CLR's?

Does anyone know the turn around time these days or how long the average wait is ??

No. It's still there. That is in no way a detriment to the CLRs. It's physics. Nature.

For me, the FM curve is essentially the same with my Xitones, the CLRs, and even my high end Adam monitors. One thing I did find is that the sound is smoother but still plenty transparent through the Adams at low volume, and no ear fatigue at all. You know, they're near field monitors, specifically designed for that.

Volume is the key. Tube amps are the same way. Some master volumes are better than others. I've used all the quieting techniques: Aracom, wattage switch, Power Scaling, and the Maven Peal wattage control. The best is the Maven Peal wattage control (with sag circuit). There is still no replacement for volume.

The Axe FX works so much better for me. Love it! My ears are used to dialing in tones at home that will work pretty well at gig volume, with only minor adjustments.

I'm gonna weigh in here for a sec just cause.

I heard mention in this thread of these speakers being the greatest and how everybody loves them. No one seems to have a bad opinion about them!
Here's why. Anyone who expresses discontent gets quickly attacked and dismissed, or they get into huge verbal arguments with fan boys.

I avoided this until now. But I stop at seeing posts stating how these speakers can do no wrong. Its a shame really.

My experience was simply that I bought these things after drinking the koolaid and hung in there past the return period, thinking I just didn't get it. I did. I just have pickier ears i guess. These are simply overated PA speakers. Do they sound good? Sure, compared to other FRFR stuff maybe.

I had a Mesa 4X12 and Matrix GTX1000 competing with them and they couldn't hold a candle. They sounded either thin or boomey (depending on your settings) but never solid like my 4X12, They also sounded somewhat sterile. No real warmth compared to a real cabinet.

In frustration I contacted Atomic and of course I was outside the return period, so too bad for me. I went through the hassle of reselling them and lost about $500 in the process. No fun.....in fact up yours Atomic!....(sorry couldn't resist)

I'm not going to debate with anyone about this because I spent many hours and days on this, and don't feel need to prove anything to anyone. I read and watched all of the endorsements. I bought into all of it until the bitter end. I was reminded that like any industry, when people stake their lives on something, bias will ensue.

Bottom line is, If you buy them, be sure you like them before 30 days is up. If it matters to you and you have the means, compare them to a guitar rig.
(Axe/power amp/cab or tube amp/cab). I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. I'm sure somebody out there had the same experience.

I understand that different applications suite different people. For instance, gigging musicians may prefer something like this as opposed to other options for live sound. I was using these at home.

Again the only reason for the post is that I'm tired of people pumping these things up to be the best thing ever. In my belief, the bar for quality tone is dropping as a result of this kind of mentality.

Does anyone know the turn around time these days or how long the average wait is ??

They have cabs and wedges in stock. Email your request. Tom is great with customer service. Or give them a call if you live in US. (646) 201-9543

I ordered one by phone on Monday and got it on Tuesday.

I heard mention in this thread of these speakers being the greatest and how everybody loves them. No one seems to have a bad opinion about them!
Here's why. Anyone who expresses discontent gets quickly attacked and dismissed, or they get into huge verbal arguments with fan boys.

I avoided this until now. But I stop at seeing posts stating how these speakers can do no wrong. Its a shame really.

My experience was simply that I bought these things after drinking the koolaid and hung in there past the return period, thinking I just didn't get it. I did. I just have pickier ears i guess. These are simply overated PA speakers. Do they sound good? Sure, compared to other FRFR stuff maybe.

I had a Mesa 4X12 and Matrix GTX1000 competing with them and they couldn't hold a candle. They sounded either thin or boomey (depending on your settings) but never solid like my 4X12, They also sounded somewhat sterile. No real warmth compared to a real cabinet.

In frustration I contacted Atomic and of course I was outside the return period, so too bad for me. I went through the hassle of reselling them and lost about $500 in the process. No fun.....in fact up yours Atomic!....(sorry couldn't resist)

I'm not going to debate with anyone about this because I spent many hours and days on this, and don't feel need to prove anything to anyone. I read and watched all of the endorsements. I bought into all of it until the bitter end. I was reminded that like any industry, when people stake their lives on something, bias will ensue.

Bottom line is, If you buy them, be sure you like them before 30 days is up. If it matters to you and you have the means, compare them to a guitar rig.
(Axe/power amp/cab or tube amp/cab). I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. I'm sure somebody out there had the same experience.

I understand that different applications suite different people. For instance, gigging musicians may prefer something like this as opposed to other options for live sound. I was using these at home.

Again the only reason for the post is that I'm tired of people pumping these things up to be the best thing ever. In my belief, the bar for quality tone is dropping as a result of this kind of mentality.

Mine is on the way so I can't say how they sound, but all the "bad" comments I read online are people comparing them to cabs.

It's not a cab, it won't sound "warm" or thight or whatever a guitar cab is, because it's not one. That's the IRs job.

The point of the CLR or any FRFR speaker is to sound flat. Whatever comes in comes out.

It won't sound like a cab if your preset and IR don't sound like it. It will sound like a guitar cab if your preset sounds like it.

The point is to have a reference of how your preset sounds anywhere you plugged in.

Your guitar cab only sounds that way when you're in front of it. When it's mic'ed through a FOH or PA or for recording, it won't sound the same.

If the CLR doesn't work for you, fine. But don't say it's bad because it doesn't sound like your cab. Because it's not supposed to.

I was not able to find a valid argument against CLR yet.

The only arguments that would be valid are answers to this question: Is it a great FRFR system?

Last edited:
How is the fletcher munson curve with the CLR's? not as exaggerated? like say with a normal PA speaker? Do you put a PEQ at the end of your patches to compensate for the curve with the CLR's?
The curve you're mentioning is not something related to technology, but to the way humans hear sounds. It varies from person to person, what you see on the books is an average value.

I'm gonna weigh in here for a sec just cause.I heard mention in this thread of these speakers being the greatest and how everybody loves them. No one seems to have a bad opinion about them!Here's why. Anyone who expresses discontent gets quickly attacked and dismissed, or they get into huge verbal arguments with fan boys. I avoided this until now. But I stop at seeing posts stating how these speakers can do no wrong. Its a shame really.My experience was simply that I bought these things after drinking the koolaid and hung in there past the return period, thinking I just didn't get it. I did. I just have pickier ears i guess. These are simply overated PA speakers. Do they sound good? Sure, compared to other FRFR stuff maybe.I had a Mesa 4X12 and Matrix GTX1000 competing with them and they couldn't hold a candle. They sounded either thin or boomey (depending on your settings) but never solid like my 4X12, They also sounded somewhat sterile. No real warmth compared to a real cabinet. In frustration I contacted Atomic and of course I was outside the return period, so too bad for me. I went through the hassle of reselling them and lost about $500 in the process. No fun.....in fact up yours Atomic!....(sorry couldn't resist)I'm not going to debate with anyone about this because I spent many hours and days on this, and don't feel need to prove anything to anyone. I read and watched all of the endorsements. I bought into all of it until the bitter end. I was reminded that like any industry, when people stake their lives on something, bias will ensue.Bottom line is, If you buy them, be sure you like them before 30 days is up. If it matters to you and you have the means, compare them to a guitar rig.(Axe/power amp/cab or tube amp/cab). I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels this way. I'm sure somebody out there had the same experience.I understand that different applications suite different people. For instance, gigging musicians may prefer something like this as opposed to other options for live sound. I was using these at home. Again the only reason for the post is that I'm tired of people pumping these things up to be the best thing ever. In my belief, the bar for quality tone is dropping as a result of this kind of mentality.
You're making a big mistake here. How good the CLRs sound has nothing to do with how they sound similarly to your guitar cab. They sound like what you feed them with. If you suceed in using a patch+IR equal to how your guitar cab sounds, you'll get equally satisfactory results.The quality of the CLRs has to be found in how transparently they can reproduce the signal put at their input. Currently, there's nothing comparing to them in their price range.Such sistems are very different from a guitar cab, you'll have to change your mindshape and fully understand the concept in order to get the potential best results.HTH

Mine is on the way so I can't say how they sound, but all the "bad" comments I read online are people comparing them to cabs.

It's not a cab, it won't sound "warm" or thight or whatever a guitar cab is, because it's not one. That's the IRs job.

The point of the CLR or any FRFR speaker is to sound flat. Whatever comes in comes out.

It won't sound like a cab if your preset and IR don't sound like it. It will sound like a guitar cab if your preset sounds like it.

The point is to have a reference of how your preset sounds anywhere you plugged in.

Your guitar cab only sounds that way when you're in front of it. When it's mic'ed through a FOH or PA or for recording, it won't sound the same.

If the CLR doesn't work for you, fine. But don't say it's bad because it doesn't sound like your cab. Because it's not supposed to.

I was not able to find a valid argument against CLR yet.

The only arguments that would be valid are answers to this question: Is it a great FRFR system?

Enjoy the Koolaid. I hear its the best!

Last edited:
Enjoy the Koolaid. I hear its the best!

acidfrost echoed my thoughts completely. Of course you're entitled to your opinion and if you want the 'wind flapping your trousers legs' thing going on, then nothing beats a guitar cab. My old Marshall 1960 cab was a beast!

But comparing FRFR to a cab is a little pointless. It's like comparing a nearfield studio monitor to a cab, or a Lambourghini to a 4x4: both are built for different purposes.

It's not really a 'koolaid' argument, but possibly a lack of understanding?

FWIW, Devin Townsend has recently moved back to using a Mesa recto for that same reason, for the trouser flapping.

acidfrost echoed my thoughts completely. Of course you're entitled to your opinion and if you want the 'wind flapping your trousers legs' thing going on, then nothing beats a guitar cab. My old Marshall 1960 cab was a beast!

Well, I'm not sure that with a 130 dB peak SPL a CLR would have any hard time flapping anything out of you... just put it in the same backline position you used with your amp (not as a wedge, but as a cab, on its side if it's the wedge): not at all advisable for both you and your audience, but when it comes to flapping you'll be happy I guess :D

Well, I'm not sure that with a 130 dB peak SPL a CLR would have any hard time flapping anything out of you... just put it in the same backline position you used with your amp (not as a wedge, but as a cab, on its side if it's the wedge): not at all advisable for both you and your audience, but when it comes to flapping you'll be happy I guess :D

Yup! That's what I'm hoping. I bough 2 to mount in a stack formation when I'm feeling grumpy and loud, and also to double as extra studio monitors. A guitar cab wont do both, so these seem to be getting the best of the FRFR reviews.

Cabs definitely are a different experience, and that's why I still have two Mesa cabs in my rehearsal space.

I'm curious to hear if you've had success with any other frfr systems, in getting them to sound like a cab?
That's not a sarcastic question.....just curious to hear of other frfr solutions that folks have had success with.

Well don't feed the troll as they say! As a long time guitarist and sound engineer, I have not read a single VALID argument against CLR. If it's not for you fine, but that is not an argument. I'm still waiting.

Back
Top Bottom