Connecting two external stereo devices

I have an AF3 and two iSP Hum Extractor rax. https://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/hum-extractor-decimator-g-rack/

I want to create presets within the AF3 that create two independent signal chainz. A left AMP / CAB and a right AMP / CAB each connecting to its own iSP hum extractor.

There iz only one AF3 IN3 / OUT3 and one IN 4 / OUT4 available in the grid. In SETUP I have theze set to stereo.

Doez the attached wiring diagram and Axe-Edit block path maintain L and R signal independence?

Thanx

Attachments

• AF Input.png
    AF Input.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 22
  • AF Output.png
    AF Output.png
    264.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Wiring Diagram.jpeg
    Wiring Diagram.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 23
Don't you mean iZP? ;)

Do you have your Cab blocks set up to use Left Input and Right Input? Otherwise I think you're sending both paths to each Cab block.

Also, this is really an Axe Fx III question, not Axe-Edit.

Don't you mean iZP? ;)

Do you have your Cab blocks set up to use Left Input and Right Input? Otherwise I think you're sending both paths to each Cab block.

Also, this is really an Axe Fx III question, not Axe-Edit.
In checking the CAB input mode for both I now have them left and right respectively. Additionally I have done the same for the AMP blox.

Will this insure the L / R independence of the signalz?

My concern iz that I don't see thoze settingz for the IN and OUT blox.

Iz there a SETUP setting that maps this globally? I didn't find anything in the SETUP menu...

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the Output blocks you want to use the Mixer tab to pan Rows 2 and 4 Left/Right.

I don't know much about the two ISP units, But if they are stereo, why do you need two? Pre and Post both Amp blocks?

What will these do that the internal Noise Gates won't?

I don't know much about the two ISP units, But if they are stereo, why do you need two? Pre and Post both Amp blocks?

What will these do that the internal Noise Gates won't?
They are actually each mono with each of the two in'z and out's having different functionz and are uzed linearly. The hum extractor (channel 1) removez EMI / RFI that comez through the pickups, this iz uzed post guitar and pre amp. The decimator (channel 2) iz similar to the noize gate block uzed post amp and pre cab, this removez amp noize. I have two becauze I'm uzing two AMPs and two CABz independent from each other for L/R stereo presets.

Off of the top of my head...
  • You don't need the virtual cables between the Output 3/4 and Input 3/4 blocks.
  • The Amp and Cab block's inputs need to be set to 'left' and 'Right' respectively.
  • The Output 3 and 4 knobs need to be all of the way up for unity gain.
  • Have you tried to get similar results with the internal Gate models?

Last edited:
Off of the top of my head...
  • You don't need the virtual cables between the Output 3/4 and Input 3/4 blocks.
  • The Amp and Cab block's inputs need to be set to 'left' and 'Right' respectively.
  • The Output 3 and 4 knobs need to be all of the way up for unity gain.
  • Have you tried to get similar results with the internal Gate models?
I agree with the first two bullets but not sure why the third. Could you explain a little?

I have setup a test preset uzing the internal GATES and can achieve good rezults but what they do not do iz get rid of hum the guitar picks up through pickups. So the hum may not be there when I'm not playing but when I do play and the gate openz the hum iz also prezent. I'm in a location that seemz to have EMI / RFI going through my house regularly.

Side question, how do I get audio through the headphonez? I haven't seen anything in the setup for this...

At the moment I'm only using OUTPUT 2 xlr to FRFRs.
The Headphone out is hardwired to Output 1 only.

B.T.W. I forgot to mention that the Amp the has it's Input set to 'Left', also needs it's output panned 'Left'. And the one set to 'Right' panned to the 'Right'... etc.

OP did you ever figure this out? Because I have a pedal version of the hum extractor and decimator and I am trying to get it to work with my AXE FX 3 and I am having a terrible time getting it to work.

OP did you ever figure this out? Because I have a pedal version of the hum extractor and decimator and I am trying to get it to work with my AXE FX 3 and I am having a terrible time getting it to work.
Hey what's up! Yes, I figured it out and it's actually quite simple. Two things already in this thread that are usable are my initial wiring diagram on white paper (use only ISPL wiring) and Moke's last screenshot.

Remember that the hum extractor and decimator are used in series not parallel. You'll need to use AF3 physical INs and OUTs of just 3L and 4L since you only have one ISP unit. AMP and CAB inputs will also need to be Left last well. No need to actually pan them if you're not actually doing dual guitar sources (stereo) like in my setup.

So first you'll need two humbuster cables since you're coming OUT of 3L and 4L. Then two standard TS cables to go IN to 3L and 4L. I made my own cables for this using switch craft & Neutrik connectors and Canare quad cables, Canare has braided shielding which to my understanding is better than any other. Neutrik connectors seem more friendly to work with.

Physical wiring

1. TRS humbuster cable AF OUT 3L (TRS) into ISP Channel 1 IN (TS).
2. Standard TS ISP Channel 1 OUT (TS) into AF IN 3L (TS).
3. TRS humbuster AF OUT 4L (TRS) into ISP Channel 2 IN (TS).
4 Standard TS ISP Channel 2 OUT (TS) into AF IN 4L (TS).

5. Set the physical knobs on front panel of 3 and 4 on AF to max. (This works in my case, should be the same on yours)

AF Global Settings

1. Setup>Global>Input Levels - A/D Sensitivity 1 and 2 you'll figure out for your setup. Input 3 @ 100% and Input 4 @ 60%, this I'm guessing will be the same for you. (You can do this in Axe Edit accessed by clicking the little grey arrow to the left of a selected block in the edit section.)
2. In Setup>Global>Audio - Output 3 Boost 18dB, Output 4 Boost 18dB
3. Setup>Global>Audio - INPUT CONFIG for 3 and 4 I have MODE set to stereo but you may need them at LEFT

AMP & CAB Blocks

1. AMP "Input Select" LEFT
2. CAB "Input Mode" LEFT

I/O Blocks, AMP and CAB

Series block path as follows - IN1>OUT3, then no connection because it's wired in the back, then IN3>AMP>OUT4, then no connection because it's wired in the back, then IN4>CAB>(whatever time effects you want)>OUT1

PITCH Block

One additional thing about the ISP is that it doesn't work well if you put PITCH Virtual Capo between IN3 block and AMP. You'll need to put it between IN1 block and OUT3 Block. I put my wah there too.

See attached screenshots.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions about it!

Attachments

• Input Levels.png
    Input Levels.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Audio.png
    Audio.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 6
  • AMP Left.png
    AMP Left.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 5
  • CAB Left.png
    CAB Left.png
    305 KB · Views: 5
  • Signal Path.png
    Signal Path.png
    181 KB · Views: 7
I can't thank you enough! My biggest problem was step #5 haha I forgot to turn up Out 3 (facepalm). I got it to work and it is so awesome! It actually even makes my Line 6 Powercab plus sound so much closer to my headphones. It is unbelievable the difference! Also, thank you so much for the attachments, this helped a ton!

Back
Top Bottom