Connecting to Multiple Axe-Fx III's with Axe-Edit

Morgan Sprouse

Here's the situation.

The bassist, myself and the other guitarist at my church will soon both be running AXE FX III's. The bassist and I already run one and the other guitarist runs an AX8 and will be upgrading soon. Our church is deploying AXE FX III's to all new campuses and will possibly be updating older campuses with the units as well which means that we may not have to carry our rigs to and from our studios. However, we will want to load and manage our own presets and I'm figuring out how we could do it remotely through a MacMini and dropbox.

My question. How (or can we even) connect three AXE FX III's to the same computer over USB and manage the presets through AXE Edit? I've never thought to try this when I've had multiple units with me. I know I can find a power strip and would allow us to turn only one unit on at a time (so AXE Edit only see's one unit) but if I can do it through AXE-EDIT, that would be better.

Reactions: Rex
You can only talk to one Axe-Fx at a time from Axe-Edit, but you can flip between them. From the Tools menus select Show available devices... to list the connected units and pick which one you're working with.

I haven't used this feature much myself, so I can't recall how you tell one Axe-Fx III from the next in this list. Consider keeping Preset 000 on each unit as a dummy preset that simply indentifies it by the preset name and the scene names so you can tell them apart?

And thoughtfully, it flashes the MIDI LED three times, so us with older eyes have time to catch it. ;)

You can only talk to one Axe-Fx at a time from Axe-Edit, but you can flip between them. From the Tools menus select Show available devices... to list the connected units and pick which one you're working with.

I haven't used this feature much myself, so I can't recall how you tell one Axe-Fx III from the next in this list. Consider keeping Preset 000 on each unit as a dummy preset that simply indentifies it by the preset name and the scene names so you can tell them apart?

THIS IS PERFECT. I didn't know this featured existed. Thank you very much. We'll be able to tell which unit we're connected to by looking at the presets. Too bad there isn't an option to name the devices.

There’s a TEST button in the Available Devices dialog. Use it to flash the MIDI In LED on the selected Axe-Fx. That's how you know which one you’re connecting to.

That is great for when we're manipulating the presets on site but the whole reason I'm working up this hypothetical situation is so we can remote in to a Mac Mini and dump our presets before we even get to the campus 😊

That is great for when we're manipulating the presets on site but the whole reason I'm working up this hypothetical situation is so we can remote in to a Mac Mini and dump our presets before we even get to the campus 😊
Then you need a remote camera to look at the device LEDs. :p

Back
Top Bottom