Connecting the Axe-Fx III to an A/V Receiver

FWIW I used a home stereo as my practice rig power amp for years as a kid without incident. I did not have the money for a dedicated practice rig. Because I was not trying to rock gig volumes the amp/speakers etc nothing had any issues. Just don’t torque it. Sheesh.

Remember too that guitar amps, in general, have a pretty good amount of compression. If your running your amp at a given level, and then step on a boost pedal, with let’s say 20dB boost, your amp output does not jump 20dB in output intensity level. Instead it saturates more, and has some degree of output boost, but your certainly not getting a linear into to output effect.

As such, while your not getting anything like a hard limiter, unless you set it up like that, that typical patch isn’t likely to have massive spikes in levels, even if you step on some stomp boxes in your signal chain etc

The spikes come from your pick attack, not from adding drive pedals. It gets worse as distortion is decreased. This makes transients poke higher above the average level, and it hits you with a double whammy: the perceived volume of a clean tone is lower, so people tend to turn up the level on clean tones to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom