Connecting Phone to Axe FX III

lwknives

Power User
One of the cool features of the Axe FX III is the ability to plug an MP3 player or phone into one of the inputs and route it in at the end of your signal chain. I learn a lot of new songs constantly and this is extremely helpful because I dont need any external gear (other than a cable) to mix my guitar and the tracks I am learning. I was expecting to have to do some processing to get it to sound good but I just plugged my phone into IN2 and put the block in the layout and it sounded great.
This is also helpful for hearing how your guitar will sound in a mix.

If you have an iPhone you can use a Lightning to USB B connector and go directly in ;)

Let's say you did it like this. How would you turn settings on iPhone to disable a phone call from coming through and either ringing or possibly pausing music? Obviously this is an iPhone question and not a Fractal one.

↑↑↑ This
Yes, how does this keep popping up and people keep forgetting? I think we should include it in the sticky FAQ

ALSO, for those who get the lightning to USB B connector Ill give you two tips:

1)Get FracPad III - @AlGrenadine mad props for de compiling and rewriting....unless you wrote from scratch, then thats even sicker, its a great tool if you are going to use your lighting to uSB B for any REAL work on your ipad (pro; and i say ipad pro because running garage band and another DAW takes up ALL the resources of the iPad Pro, so maybe it’ll work on newer iPads from 2019 and on but i think you need the ram from pro for the NEXT thing

2)As awesome as FracPad Is, its really another tool in an ipad arsenal. NOW Here is a trick to record with your AXe III directly to your ipad (assuming you have a DAW from steinberg or something, or if you have another expensive DAW like Auria pro,which is the best i saw)
anyway:
You can actually directly input to your (iphone or even better,) your ipad Pro using GARAGE BAND
What you must do is obviously have your axe 3 connected, and open up garage band app
Go to Audio Recorder>Instrument and you should see that the axe iii is now sending sound to your ipad/garage band

by this time, the audio levels should register. Apple was good in having garage band recognized /driver compatibility....

You can stop there, and either record some riffs or a song if you use the drummer/drum VST......

or if like i said you have a paid DAW, like i spent $50 for Auria Pro after researching all the DAWs out there, and while it didnt allow direct recording(recognizition of the axe iii drivers for whatever reason, which is disappointing for the best DAW for Apple) i found out HOW to record PROFESSIONAL quality tracks, and since I have bought the metal drums VST (yep, can you beleive, they have 2 METAL DRUMS VST, with 14 METAL drum kits, mind you they are not crazy better than lets say the newest Guitar Pro, they have some really nice kits, so if you combine two drum kits, you can get close to what you want, and you can input midi too) i can do a whole song from my iPad Pro.....not efficient or desirable, but most importantly, its possible

Open your other DAW and go back to garage band
while the instrument track is open, Go to the top right wrench(setting) and click advanced> Run in background and use with Music apps

Then go back to instrument and click on the little input TRS cable...
go to inter app audio>Select instrument>select where you want to send/bus the Aux instrument now

Open back up your DAW and then select Garage Band Instrument Aux 1 (or wherever you want to send it)

NOW this is assuming you are using a REAL DAW like Cubasis or the best one, Auria Pro!!!

For Android phones, anyone know of a way (perhaps with an app, preferably free) to pipe sound via USB to the Axe-FX III, i.e. phone's micro-USB to the Axe's USB-B?

Honestly the best surprise I had with my Axefx was realizing that it works as a sound device in windows that I can send any computer sound to. I can play along with youtube,or any other music app. Its honestly something I wasn't expecting outside of DAWs but I don't know how I'd live without it.

Last edited:
I found these but don't have an "OTG" adapter to try USB phone audio out to the Axe.

Last edited:
For Android phones, anyone know of a way (perhaps with an app, preferably free) to pipe sound via USB to the Axe-FX III, i.e. phone's micro-USB to the Axe's USB-B?

USB Audio Player PRO

Not free ($7.99 I believe), but the best Android music app that I have found, especially for audiophile listening with external USB audio DACs. I don't know of a good free recommendation off the top of my head.

I have an iphone and the USB B to lightning cable. How do I control the level of audio coming from the phone so I can balance that with the guitar signal?

I've got an OTG USB cable coming next week and will report if I can get my android to output to the Axe via USB.

Back
Top Bottom