Connecting Mesa Mini Rectifier with Axe Fx & FCB1010 footswitch

xenox24

I need help connecting my AxeFx, so that it runs through the Mesa pre-amp. Then I need it to be able to switch through pre-sets using the midi footswitch controller (for life performances).

How do I connect all this? A step by step answer would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I figured out what was the issue, I had a malfunctioning 1/4" cable, that's why it didn't work, it was driving me insane lol.

Now everything works, except one thing. I want to have on one of the pedals on the foot controller the pure sound of Mesa distortion (so a blank preset on the AxeFx essentially).
The problem is the signal is very low, even when I crank it up to full, it's barely louder (not nearly gig-loud levels). How do I solve this issue?

Anyway for anyone having the same trouble as me hooking it up, I'll write here how I connected them:
  1. Guitar --> MESA Mini Rectifier "Guitar Input"
  2. MESA Mini Rectifier "Footswitch" --> Behringer FCB1010 "Switch 1"
  3. AxeFx Input --> MESA Mini Rectifier "Fx Loop Send"
  4. AxeFx Output 2L --> MESA Mini Rectifier "Fx Loop Return"
  5. AxeFx "midi IN" --> Behringer FCB1010 "midi OUT"

Which Axe-FX model do you have? Standard, Ultra?

Which Axe-FX input are you using? Front instr. input, rear input 1?

Did you place an effects loop (FXL) block in the Axe-FX preset?

If not, did you enable "Copy Out 1 > 2" in the I/O: Audio menu?

Does the volume increase if you remove the Axe-FX from the signal path and connect mesa fx send to return with a single 1/4" cable?

Last edited:
I have the Standard.

I'm using front instrument input.

Nope, I have the Power amp ON & Cabinet on Active.

I have that enabled already also.

Nope, there's actually no sound, if I plug Mesa FX Send --> Input 2L (AxeFx Return) instead of the front input in the AxeFx.

To clarify again, the other presets are working fine (loudness etc.), it's just when I try my amp through a blank preset, I get no sound whatsoever on clean and barely some on drive.
I don't care about the clean channel, but the drive of the Mesa is great & I want to use it on some occasions without any effects on top of it.

Nope, there's actually no sound, if I plug Mesa FX Send --> Input 2L (AxeFx Return) instead of the front input in the AxeFx.

That's expected but I didn't suggest trying that.

With the Axe-FX completely disconnected from everything else, guitar to Mesa input, 1/4" cable in Mesa fx loop, loop engaged, is the volume loud enough?

The goal here is to eventually get an all-shunts preset to produce the same volume with the Axe-FX in the loop.

A factory preset or similar using an amp block is going to have a much higher output level than an all-shunt path. Have you read the manual section on "4-Cable Method"? That would be a more common choice for having the option of using Axe-FX amp simulation.

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I already replied but I forgot :p Anyway, I connected everything via the 4 cable method as suggested and now it works like a charm! No feedback & the sound is just massive! Thanks again for your help :)

edit: for anyone wondering, how I connected it;

1) Guitar - Axe Fx Input
2) Input 2 L (Axe Fx) - Mesa Send
3) Output 1 L - Mesa Return
4) Output 2 L - Mesa guitar input
5) Axe Fx MIDI IN - Behringer footswitch MIDI OUT

Are you using expression effects? I have the same midi controller and my expression pedal effects lag. Have you experienced this? Any way to solve it?

Back
Top Bottom