Connecting Iphone and guitar at the same time

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I want to experiment with playing my Iphone synth apps and guitar both through my Axe fx. I want to know some things since I am not sure how to do this:

1) Can I connect the Iphone stereo to the input 1 jacks (and guitar to the front input at the same time)? Do I need to make some adjustments in the I/O?
2) Can I use two separate effect lines? so that Iphone and guitar each have different effects. Can this be done without using the Fx loop? I gave up on the fx loop some time ago because of too much noise when I tried it with pedals (I have an Axe fx II MK1)...
3) In case I want to give the fx loop another try: what are the best block and I/O settings for this when connecting the Iphone? Also when I want two separate effect lines.

Not a comprehensive answer, but here goes...

I frequently use my iPad as a practice tool to play along with backing tracks etc, which I do so via the FX loop. I find I need to knock back around 10db (maybe more, depending how hot my guitar preset is) off the guitar output in the Output mixer block to get a decent mix between iPhone and guitar, and you will probably have to do the same to get a decent mix between iPhone and guitar. I don't get any noise issues using my iPad in this way.

I see no reason why you can't add effects blocks between the FX Loop and the end of the grid. Should work as expected.

Just to clarify, I add the FX Loop Return block somewhere in the 4th grid line (with no connection to Input on grid, of course), then connect this block to the Output block. I can then control the mix via the Output block mixer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there also a way to connect the Iphone and the guitar at the same time without the Fx loop? As I said the Fx loop of the MK 1 is too noisy for me so if I can avoid it I prefer that.

try some of the suggestions( here on forum not sure what posts) for running two guitars with separate chains separated by mixer block or volume block. works good for guitars but I don't know about true stereo. can you usb from I phone? I have seen it on I pads.

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there also a way to connect the Iphone and the guitar at the same time without the Fx loop? As I said the Fx loop of the MK 1 is too noisy for me so if I can avoid it I prefer that.

I believe there is a way to process separate inputs separately on the grid. Look around for some of the presets people have posted which are intended to run two guitars simultaneously.

I believe there is a way to process separate inputs separately on the grid. Look around for some of the presets people have posted which are intended to run two guitars simultaneously.

Yes tried to search for that but I couldn't find these presets or topics. Don't know if it also works for Iphone and guitar though because you need one stereo and one mono input at the same time. Not sure how to set the I/O for that.

@paranoid: I don't have USB on my Iphone. But I think this is possible. I have no idea however what to do with the USB and how to connect it to the Axe fx for my purpose.

technically, you can connect the iPhone (or iPad) via USB to the Axe-Fx II, but the Axe needs to have been connected to a computer with the USB driver first and while the Axe is still powered on, connect to the iOS device. then the iOS audio comes through the Axe just like a computer would. definitely not a convenient (or intended) function. FAS did mention that they would look into making the Axe support iOS devices for audio, but that hasn't happened quite yet.

as for the analog route, technically you could use a single input for it - just set the the iOS device to output in Mono - Settings, General, Accessibility. then use the same method like my 2 guitars 1 axe sort for separate rows.

you could also use the FX Loop if you want the stereo signal via analog. just place the fx loop in the layout and connect it to the Output block, far right - it could go in the last column with nothing connected before it.

as for the analog route, technically you could use a single input for it - just set the the iOS device to output in Mono - Settings, General, Accessibility. then use the same method like my 2 guitars 1 axe sort for separate rows.

Thanks Chris! Do you have a link to that '2 guitars separate rows' topic or preset? would be really helpful.
So reading from your post it is not possible to run stereo Iphone (input 1 LR) and front input guitar at the same time. Only mono?

Bodde,

I don't have any noise issues connecting my iPad via the FX Loop. Have you tried any other iOS devices, or indeed any other audio source, via the FX Loop to see if it just an issue with your phone?

Bodde,

I don't have any noise issues connecting my iPad via the FX Loop. Have you tried any other iOS devices, or indeed any other audio source, via the FX Loop to see if it just an issue with your phone?

I have tried it only with numerous high quality effect pedals. Just too much noise/hiss from the output 2 no matter what settings I use. I have read lots of topics in the past of this noise issues with MK1 fx loop so I finally gave up on it and run all my pedals in front of the Axe. Think they changed some things for the fx loop/output 2 after the MK1 (some mod). Didn't want to bring it up again in this topic though because I don't want to sound negative (love my Axe fx for the rest!). I don't think putting the Iphone in the Fx loop is any different than pedals. But I will give it another try with my Iphone this week.

As I said the Fx loop of the MK 1 is too noisy for me so if I can avoid it I prefer that.

I don't think you'll find (or measure) a difference between Inputs 1 & 2. You're not using Output 2 or pedals that can amplify that noise in the iPhone scenario.

ok, good to know! That makes sense. It's the output 2 that is causing the noise. Will give the fx loop another chance! :)

Experimented with this some more this afternoon and it works now!!

I have plugged my Iphone with it's phone jack to input 2 L and R and placed an Fx Block on the 3rd row, this one is for the Iphone synth sounds. Row 2 is guitar (front input). Each have their separate effect lines and I can put both trough the looper if I want (not on the attached screenshot).

The volume of the Iphone is very low however. Had to increase the Fx loop output to +20db to get the same level as the guitar. What can this be?
Can someone see anything strange in the screenshot?
Also one more question: what are the level 1-4 and pan 1-4 in the fx loop block for? and main? Didn't notice any difference when adjusting these.

Thanks for helping me out guys! Using the fx loop in this way is new for me. But I am very happy with what I can do with it since with this opens new creative uses for me.

Attachments

• schermjpg.jpg
    schermjpg.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 34
Was iPhone volume at or near maximum?

The 1-4 controls are a mixer between block input and Output 2, so they're not in the signal path in this case.

maybe +20 isn't normal for something with the right amount of signal. but iphones etc. don't emit much signal, so you may have to boost it a bit to get it as loud as an amp block.

maybe +20 isn't normal for something with the right amount of signal. but iphones etc. don't emit much signal, so you may have to boost it a bit to get it as loud as an amp block.

Tested this some more. Set everything to 0db in output mixer and fx loop. And than unplugged the Iphone and put it on an external mixer without changing the levels of the Axe and Iphone to see if it was the same or not. With the the Axe fx the Iphone was slightly softer compared the external mixer but not much. So indeed the Iphone has a low output.
My question on this: In my case is it better to boost the level 'knob' (by 20db) in the Fx loop block or the level 3 (in my case row 3 is the Iphone) of the the output mixer? I am confused by this and not sure what the difference is.

I frequently use my iPad as a practice tool to play along with backing tracks etc, which I do so via the FX loop. I find I need to knock back around 10db (maybe more, depending how hot my guitar preset is) off the guitar output in the Output mixer block to get a decent mix between iPhone and guitar, and you will probably have to do the same to get a decent mix between iPhone and guitar.

Does an Ipad have so much higher output volume than and Iphone? since you have to reduce by 10db for the Ipad and I have to boost by 20db. Thought the output levels of these would be somewhat the same, not a 30db difference....don't own an Ipad to test this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom