Connecting AX8 with Focusrite Scarlett

dtisak000

Hi everyone,

I own a AX8 and I am looking to get a new Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface. I just need to connect my AX8 with the XLR out, no fancy fx loop or anything. While reading user manual of the Scarlet I found a puzzling sentence. It says that line level outputs (AX8) should only be connected via TRS cable and not XLR because based on the jack it applies different preamp settings. Does this mean that if I want to use XLR out from my AX8 I have to get XLR to TRS cables? I know a lot of people use focusrite interfaces, how do you connect your fractal to it? Thanks!

1600756252461.png

I used spdif connection on my 8i6. I believe the XLR connection on the input 1 & 2 should be TRS for instruments and XLR for mics but I could be wrong

Yes, the preamps in the Scarlett reconfigures its gain response according to what you plug in the combi jacks, so everytime a XLR is plugged, the Scarlett is expecting a Mic level signal. If you absolutely need to use the XLR outs from the AX8, then a XLR to TRS cable or adaptor is your best bet.

I used spdif connection on my 8i6. I believe the XLR connection on the input 1 & 2 should be TRS for instruments and XLR for mics but I could be wrong
Thank you for the info, I could go with the S/PDIF route, but do I lose the feature of the Scarlett direct monitoring, ie is there any lag then?
Thanks!

Thank you for the info, I could go with the S/PDIF route, but do I lose the feature of the Scarlett direct monitoring, ie is there any lag then?
Thanks!

Direct monitoring applies to any input, including S/PDIF, that's how I monitor my Axe-FX III. Plus, you have stereo signal without worrying about balancing input gain between L+R on the front panel of the Scarlett, only be sure to have a healthy level in the AX8's output block to avoid any clipping. Use Focusrite Control to adjust your monitoring mix and you're good to go.

Yes, the preamps in the Scarlett reconfigures its gain response according to what you plug in the combi jacks, so everytime a XLR is plugged, the Scarlett is expecting a Mic level signal. If you absolutely need to use the XLR outs from the AX8, then a XLR to TRS cable or adaptor is your best bet.
Is that mean if using TRS instead of XLR would make the guitar sound much better? Or there’s only a very small difference that’s almost imperceptible by ear?

Is that mean if using TRS instead of XLR would make the guitar sound much better? Or there’s only a very small difference that’s almost imperceptible by ear?
I haven't compared myself, but one problem you will avoid for sure is saturating the preamp with too much gain. Happens all the time with FOH engineers thinking you're sending them a mic level signal instead of a line level one.

I haven't compared myself, but one problem you will avoid for sure is saturating the preamp with too much gain. Happens all the time with FOH engineers thinking you're sending them a mic level signal instead of a line level one.
I've been plugging my guitar into the XLR mic input on my Scarlett Solo and I'd never know I've been doing it wrong all this time until now. Thank you!

Which input should I connect to the AX8, line or instrument?

Back
Top Bottom