Connecticut shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know anyone in those other places.

Lounge. Things not Fractal-related. This applies.

I have a 5 and an 8 year-old in elementary. Can't even imagine somebody going around putting bullets in those kids. It tears my brain apart. I cried big tears yesterday and I'm halfway round the world. I'm still crushed.

This is the state of mankind. Terrorists blowing up kindergartens, lunatics shooting innocent bystanders (with easy access to firearms and a good helping of videogames to train them). So-called freedom fighters that train kids to shoot other kids. Kid soccer players bludgeoning a referee to death (In Holland two weeks ago.)

You can't blame anything but man's inclination to violence because the reasons are always insufficient. People fight, people kill. Whether it's for land, wealth, religion, sports or a parking space. All you can do is make the weapons less accessible so the damage may be smaller.

My opinion of mankind as a whole is not so high.

Luckily there are kind people too.

The tragedy in connecticut is indeed very tragic.
It saddens me to see violence and blood anywhere and I really cannot ignore the innocent people dying in many parts of the middle east either,almost everyday.
It's very tragic, if only people realised that this life is not infinite and wars cause nothing but more wars and violence. It's so simple but simplicity has died within society in general today.

In terms of the 'state of mankind' - it is, but statistically, it's no different than 40 years ago. The bigger tragedy is that 15,000 people die every year, not from mass shootings, but single-victim homicides - and no one seems to notice.

I have two grown children, but even though my 25 year old son could kick my ass, they are both still small vulnerable innocents in my subconscious. My heart broke when I heard this story. In fact, I woke up so sad this morning. But then I thought of the 'casual' violence perpetrated every day by our country as a whole - the drone strikes that kill innocent women and children - scores, HUNDREDS killed by remote operators in snug places in Nevada, unable to hear the screams, smell the blood and excrement - violence in the name of peace. In the name of a 'culture of life' - it is pervasive. It is everywhere - terrorists, lone lunatics, massive countries with huge militaries, like ours, the largest arms dealer on earth, often selling to both sides in a conflict.

I got to thinking of all of this, and all of the photos I've seen of Iraqi, Afghani, Palestinian children, blown to bits with our weaponry. We are all complicit. We are all part of a culture pervaded with violence.

I do not know why a crazy person would want to destroy all those innocents instead of just killing themselves. it beggars belief.

But the institutional violence we all pay taxes for, the violence done in our name daily, in far away lands, to 'foreign' children - it haunts me more, because we all accept it as necessary, as if war is ever moral. It is not.

And I think of all the individual murders that take place in this country. I think of the fact that there are more places to buy guns in the USA alone than all the Starbucks coffee houses in the world, and I think - there is something very wrong here. I own guns. I hunt with a bow and a rifle. But the American veneration of guns, of violence, our Hollywood culture of Rambos and The Replacements and all of the other juvenile shoot-em-ups cheapens and coarsens us spiritually. Yes, I like action movies too - but that doesn't mean that they don't pollute the soul - I think they do.

I pray for the parents, the siblings, the aunt and uncles and cousins and friends of all the dead in Ct., and around the world.

Einstein said something like this: We need to evolve empathetically as highly as we have technically, or we are doomed as a species. But we do not teach empathy, non-violence, or conflict resolution and mediation in our schools. We teach mostly competition. Until we can feel the tragedy of the afghani farmer's dead daughter, killed in one of our daily airstrikes a keenly as we can those children in CT, we will be severely limited spiritually. We are all connected. But we are born that way, and then we progressively forget. The 'other' becomes an abstraction - but these people, around the world, are not abstractions. They love their children as we do, and hope for their future as we do. Someday, God/Godess willing, we will learn this as a species.

Last edited:
In terms of the 'state of mankind' - it is, but statistically, it's no different than 40 years ago. The bigger tragedy is that 15,000 people die every year, not from mass shootings, but single-victim homicides - and no one seems to notice.

I have two grown children, but even though my 25 year old son could kick my ass, they are both still small vulnerable innocents in my subconscious. My heart broke when I heard this story. In fact, I woke up so sad this morning. But then I thought of the 'casual' violence perpetrated every day by our country as a whole - the drone strikes that kill innocent women and children - scores, HUNDREDS killed by remote operators in snug places in Nevada, unable to hear the screams, smell the blood and excrement - violence in the name of peace. In the name of a 'culture of life' - it is pervasive. It is everywhere - terrorists, lone lunatics, massive countries with huge militaries, like ours, the largest arms dealer on earth, often selling to both sides in a conflict.

I got to thinking of all of this, and all of the photos of seen of Iraqi, Afghani, Palestinian children, blown to bits with our weaponry. We are all complicit. We are all part of a culture pervaded with violence.

I do not know why a crazy person would want to destroy all those innocents instead of just killing themselves. it beggars belief.

But the institutional violence we all pay taxes for, the violence done in our name daily, in far away lands, to 'foreign' children - it haunts me more, because we all accept it as necessary, as if war is ever moral. It is not.

And I think of all the individual murders that take place in this country. I think of the fact that there are more places to buy guns in the USA alone than all the Starbucks coffee houses in the world, and I think - there is something very wrong here. I own guns. I hunt with a bow and a rifle. But the American veneration of guns, of violence, our Hollywood culture of Rambos and The Replacements and all of the other juvenile shoot-em-ups cheapens and coarsens us spiritually. Yes, I like action movies too - but that doesn't meant they don't pollute the soul - I think they do.

I pray for the parents, the siblings, the aunt and uncles and cousins and friends of all the dead in Ct., and around the world.

Einstein said something like this: We need to evolve empathetically as highly as we have technically, or we are doomed as a species. But we do not tech empathy, non-violence, or conflict resolution and mediation in our schools. We teach mostly competition. Until we can feel the tragedy of the afghani farmer's dead daughter, killed in one of our daily airstrikes a keenly as we can those children in CT, we will be severely limited spiritually. We are all connected. But we are born that way, and then we progressively forget. The 'other' becomes an abstraction - but these people, around the world, are not abstractions. They love their children as we do, and hope for their future as we do. Someday, God/Godess willing, we will learn this as a species.
Couldn't have said it better.

Its a really sad thing when the shooter in Oregon happened the other night and I switched the channel after I heard that the casualty count was so low. That really says a lot about me and I'm not particularly proud of it.

But this shooting bothered me more than anything I can ever remember. I mean if you look at just about any violent crime there is some kind of root cause for it. I'm not saying that it's justifiable or right, but there is a reason behind it that made sense to that person who did it at some point. There is nothing that a 5 or 6 year old child could ever do to anyone that could make them do something like this.

The last I heard on the news last night is that he had a personality disorder and was possibly autistic (early reports are seldom accurate though). Something had to have happened up there to drive him to this. Not justifying it, but like everyone else you look for a cause and try to find a way to prevent it from ever happening again.

One thing that was kind of puzzling though is why an elementary school teacher would have so many firearms registered in her name. Most middle aged women that I know that are in the education system are not avid gun users. She has a young man at home who probably can't buy a gun on his own. I wonder if those weren't actually bought by her for him to be able to use. I have no doubt that she never thought that something like this could happen, but as resistive to gun control laws as I've been in the past this last year's events really bring up some questions that need answers. The premise behind ownership relies solely on the responsibility of the individual. If that breaks down the consequences are horrific. At some point someone is going to ask whether twenty dead children is an acceptable trade off for lax gun control laws. I don't see it as that black and white for a lot of reasons, but it's definitely got a lot more weight to it after yesterday. It's no longer a hypothetical argument.

300 million people and and an estimated 180 million guns in this country. You can't control every single person's actions or urges and people will always argue that if someone wants to kill someone there are a lot of different ways to do it without guns. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, etc... But a gun is also a tool. A gun's purpose as a tool comes down to target practice and killing something. I could do without either of those.

But just remember that before all the gun control fanatics come out that there are still 180 million of these things out there and you aren't going to ever be able to control them all. Another thing that no one seems to be talking about is the fact that most of these guys are taking themselves out after they go on a shooting spree. If they don't fear death then they don't fear the law.

So then it comes down to personal responsibility again which in today's culture is a lot more worrisome to me than it should be.

The only thing that I'm certain of is that this is going to bring up a lot of discussion about gun control and mental disorder for a while and we're going to hear a lot of stuff on both sides of the argument that is hateful and fear based.

On a different note I have to tip my cap to Lt Vance who has been exactly what you would want in someone running an investigation like this. The level of thoughtfulness and professionalism in his comments so far has been amazing. Keeping it to the facts without letting the media run the show, showing the utmost respect to the victims by not putting out details that we just don't need to know. I know that I'd be up there either balling my eyes out or so angry that I couldn't see straight. He's done an outstanding job in my opinion with something that is hard on so many levels. I wouldn't be able to ever go to a parent and tell them "I'm sorry to have to tell you...."

Thoughts and prayers to all those families.

This was such sad, sad thing. My prayers go out to the families and the community there.
Far too many guns exist in the world for gun control to work. the only answer is education and to shift the focus off everything that's going to end the world and look to a better future, teach people to look forward to good things and have hope.
Much if not most of the problem is the media. News and entertainment all promote these stories above everything else and milk every drop of drama from them. What kinda picture are we painting of the world for our children to look at. All things are an attitude and mindset isn't time we get a better one? Although I know this community will never be the same again :(
My heart goes out to them.

Gun crimes are less frequent in schools than they were a couple of decades ago. Its the instant news coverage and sensationalism of it that makes it seem like it is worse. I too have a kindergartner and yesterday I cried. It is sad to think that in those families homes there are Christmas presents that will never be opened by that young boy or girl they were intended for. Today I have a heavy heart.

So, what would you expect the reaction of the President in a situation like this?

I know the idiots will come out claiming that guns are the reason this happened... But, my reaction is how could someone be so twisted as to do something like this to children?

It only reinforces in my mind, what would have happened if the Principal of the School had a concealed permit and was carrying. Could have been a different outcome...one less deranged idiot in the world and a lot of children saved and a valued educator deemed a hero.

Let's give the people and country time to morn this tragic loss...then pick up the pieces and demand that those in charge of protecting our children be qualified and provided with enough force to help protect them!

Reactions: svl
Revised;

Step 1: Attack the mesenger without listening to the mesage.
Step 2: turn on main stream media and let them tell you how and what to think.
Step 3: Ask mommy to make you a snack.
Step 4: practice on the guitar to become a better player.
Step 5: investigate how hitler was able to come to power.

Please don't do this here, there are many places online you can talk about this.

Why? Because it actually makes the endless bickering, moaning and belittling posts here about things like "Axe Edit doesn't work, I'm getting screwed by Fractal" appear as trivial as they actually are?

The real world alarm clock keeps going off, it's time we stopped hitting the snooze.....

The fact that some people mixing politics with this tragedy is unconscionable and disgusting.

Isn't it ironic that your gov is actually the ones mixing politics with this tragedy??

"Never let a tragedy go to waste" Who actually said that?? Google it, Then go out and buy yourself some guns and ammo.

OMG - you actually believe this?

Anyone remember the NRA SCREAMING that if Obama is elected, all the guns and ammo would be confiscated? Of course, it didn't happen. That was the FIRST Obama election. Then, during this election, LaPierre doubled-down on the rampant scare-mongering and said since it was Obama's last term, he'd be ending abolishing the 2nd amendment any day now...

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

This is silly propaganda. Obama is a human being, a father - his tears are far more convincing to me than John 'I cry for the American Dream that I am actively seeking to destroy' Boehner's.

No one is going to take away our guns - but WHY NOT outlaw hi-capacity magazines? WHY NOT outlaw assault weapons?

We need guns to defend against tyranny? Ummm, what do you propose you should be allowed to own to compete againt an A110 Warthog's gatlings? Laser-guided missiles? Nukes?

I beleive in the right to bear arms to protect my home and loved ones from intruders, and to hunt and enjoy target practice. I hunt with a bolt-action .308 - something NOT designed for rapid fire, not capable of killing tens of people in minutes, but eminently well suited for hunting deer. I own a shotgun for home protection. It holds 6 rounds and is a manual pump action. Though more capable of causing mayhem, it is still limited compared to 15 and 30 shot mags on AR-15's, Glocks, Sigs etc. I have to slowly hand-load each shell - not comparable to ejecting a mag and slamming home a new one, an act that, with practice, can be accomplished in well under a second!

Large magazines and assault weapons are designed for shootouts - so leave them for soldiers and police. We CANNOT compete with our military - technology has exceeded that (unless you think that we should, perhaps, all own Warthogs and tac-nukes, god forbid!).

The way complex military power is defeated these days is largely through civil disobedience, the same technique that Gandhi used to force the British out of India, and the way that most of the Arab Spring was accomplished (Syria and Iran being notable exceptions - becauxse they are willing to deploy massive lethal firepower against their own populations).

The concept that all of us owning high-powered, large capacity weapons will somehow prevent a tyrannical takeover is specious on technological grounds, and historical grounds (for example, after engineering the Reichstag fire, Hitler was 'allowed' to take power democratically. He never lost popular support in war-time Germany until near the very end (weeks). Even then, if germans had opposed him in large numbers and had owned guns, they would have had no more success against panzers and stukas than we would against warthogs. it took the military might of MOST OF THE WORLD to defeat him!

THINK, people! Study history! Don't believe scare mongers on the right, or on the left.

Last edited:
Revised;

Step 1: Attack the mesenger without listening to the mesage.
Step 2: turn on main stream media and let them tell you how and what to think.
Step 3: Ask mommy to make you a snack.
Step 4: practice on the guitar to become a better player.
Step 5: investigate how hitler was able to come to power.

Hitler was democratically elected...

Isn't it ironic that your gov is actually the ones mixing politics with this tragedy??

"Never let a tragedy go to waste" Who actually said that?? Google it, Then go out and buy yourself some guns and ammo.

I was referring to your post. Post your hate for the Democrats somewhere else. Now that this topic has been tainted with this discussion, I think it should be closed or deleted by the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom