connect Axe Ultra with digital wireless system?

oldstar1975

Inspired
Does anybody tried to connect guitar digital wireless system such as Line 6 Relay G90 with AXE FX ULTRA via SPDIF? Is it possible? I have heard what G90 produced with spdif out (96KHz 24 bit). very interesting....

I used to use the line 6 x2 digital but it was acting wonky from time to time..
I'm now using the Senheiser G3 W500 and it's just like being cabled...and the distance is phenemonal.

How do you like the G90? Has it been reliable and is it quiet?

I just picked up the G50 which is close to the 90 just not a rack unit. I love it! No noise at all and I was able to play from the neighbors garage with no disconnects. I am only into it a few days but I am liking it a lot. The one con was the cable supplied to go from transmitter to guitar. Very cheap. I ordered a couple Mogami replacements (one straight and one right angle. If i have any issues I'll make sure to post and send you a note.

I also have the G50. The sound quality is very good, so much better than the old "analog" wireless units. And very easy to set up.
Like Cobbler I had to replace the cable very soon, I bought one from Shure.

I have the G90 and it sounds flawless where as the X2 i had sounded too snappy or digital sounding in the high end treble which i thought was because of the need to simulate cable tone which it did not have but I even added a capacitor in a custom cable I made for the transmitter to simulate cable tone and that rolled some of the highs but still had snappy brittle high end almost like an exagerated dynamics in the high end hard to explain. But the g90 doesnt have the harshness and it does not gorge on batteries like my X2 did. I had li-ion rechargables that lasted 3 hours long in the X2 but regular alkaline about one show and it was 3/4 drawned down. My understanding that some analogue stage before the converters do some tone shaping or loading whatever that you would bypass if a wireless unit would hook directly digitaly into the Axe II.

I have been using my shure UT that I have had for about 106 years. I have never had any problems with it so I never thought about replacing it. About a month ago, I opened my rack case at a gig and one of the antennas fell out......Time for a new one.

Besides the rack mount capability and the price, How big of a difference is there between the 50 and the 90. My shure is in my rack but then I need to run cables to my talkbox and back to the rack. The 50 ould eliminate one of these cables.

I have the G-90. As stated above, works flawlessly. Excellent unit. I have only had it a short while so I can't comment on how it will perform in the long haul, but it is a great unit.

G90 here. Perfect tone, 9h with alkalines in lo-power mode. No probs so far, BUT I ordered a replacement cable from best-tronics, as the stock connector/cable seems a bit fragile.

Last edited:
I also have the G50. The sound quality is very good, so much better than the old "analog" wireless units. And very easy to set up.
Like Cobbler I had to replace the cable very soon, I bought one from Shure.

YOu mean the cable for the transmitter? What kind of cable is that btw?

Back
Top Bottom