Congrats!

LVC

Fractal Fanatic
My hat off to Cliff & Co .... So far this update has exceeded my expectations by a multiple of "10"

1. The two amps I tried sound great out of the box!

- 59 Bassman is outstanding
- Dumble is outstanding

ODS 100 Lead channel sounds extraordinary!

My "Dumblehead" buddies in NJ will never allow themselves to admit that the dumble in the little black box sounds as good and as real as it does.

Truly remarkable.

Your Twin Reverb is in there. Should be dead nuts on. MIMIC is pretty darn accurate.

I hate to admit it but there is something special about a real Dumble. I don't know what it is but there is something in the voicing. The various clones I have are cool and have their own thing going but they don't sound like the Dumble. Hard amp to play though. Very unforgiving but tremendous clarity.

Agreed! The Bassman has been my go-to for so long, and before that my main working amp for many years was a clone. I'm really particular about that amp and cab combination. The v10 amp and the new 'mix' cab is creating the best Bassman sound I've ever experienced. Awe inspiring.

I didn't find a Dumble preset in the new banks.. Therefore I was assuming it might not be too special. I was also assuming at because it seems Cliff didn't have much to say about the Dumble since he received it. I assumed wrong. The ODS is spectacular. I used it with a stereo cab and tried the clean and overdrive, for cab I tried mixing the two EVMs and then the Santiago Altec / EJ. Just incredible, especially the drive. Wow.

Agreed! The Bassman has been my go-to for so long, and before that my main working amp for many years was a clone. I'm really particular about that amp and cab combination. The v10 amp and the new 'mix' cab is creating the best Bassman sound I've ever experienced. Awe inspiring.

I didn't find a Dumble preset in the new banks.. Therefore I was assuming it might not be too special. I was also assuming at because it seems Cliff didn't have much to say about the Dumble since he received it. I assumed wrong. The ODS is spectacular. I used it with a stereo cab and tried the clean and overdrive, for cab I tried mixing the two EVMs and then the Santiago Altec / EJ. Just incredible, especially the drive. Wow.

Both the clean and drive versions of the Dumble are fantastic. I got a huge funk rock rhythm sound clean and the drive sound was singing and spectacular. Totally inspiring.

Your Twin Reverb is in there. Should be dead nuts on. MIMIC is pretty darn accurate.

I hate to admit it but there is something special about a real Dumble. I don't know what it is but there is something in the voicing. The various clones I have are cool and have their own thing going but they don't sound like the Dumble. Hard amp to play though. Very unforgiving but tremendous clarity.

I was on the phone a few minutes ago with Galo telling him about the dumble.

Brandon does a great job (his 70's and 80's clones are pretty stellar) and so does Shad @ Quinn Amps --- Until you play a real one ( a good one because even Mr. D put out a few duds) you really do not understand or appreciate what the damn fuss is all about. Not even the best cloners can get the tuning down of a real dumble. The man has magic ears.

The Twin being "dead nuts" on - is an understatement.

Took the bright switch off -- rolled the bass back and there she was!

truly remarkable.

I was on the phone a few minutes ago with Galo telling him about the dumble.

Brandon does a great job (his 70's and 80's clones are pretty stellar) and so does Shad @ Quinn Amps --- Until you play a real one ( a good one because even Mr. D put out a few duds) you really do not understand or appreciate what the damn fuss is all about. Not even the best cloners can get the tuning down of a real dumble. The man has magic ears.

The Twin being "dead nuts" on - is an understatement.

Took the bright switch off -- rolled the bass back and there she was!

truly remarkable.

So the Dumble is super inspiring and damn close but missing a little magic only someone who owns one would notice?

So the Dumble is super inspiring and damn close but missing a little magic only someone who owns one would notice?

Not sure I am understanding your question.

A cloned tube amp vs the original?

Remember -- a lot of cloners base their builds on a couple of available schematics and posted values and do not have access to the original they are cloning.

Also each Dumble was custom built and voiced for its owner.

So Yes there is a difference.... and depending on the Dumble (original) you are comparing it to -- the differences could be significant.

And any credible cloner will tell you the same.

Last edited:
The price tag???? :eek:

AAEN

Yes I love the price ... couple of keystrokes and a few minutes of my time!

It sounds freak'n amazing!

I had a clone built by Brandon (one of the first he did) of a 90's Sklyliner EQ EL34 Big Iron HRM. He cloned the original before it shipped to Japan. The amp sounded amazing (really regret selling it) but I was not gigging it and I was made an offer I could not refuse. I never heard or played the original so I can't offer a comparison. Folks that played or heard the amp had a hard time believing it was an EL34 amp,

The ODS in the FW10 sounds similar but significantly better. Much smoother and more responsive.

Here is a picture of a couple of my old Bludotones. The suede one is the Bludotone 100 watt "Big Iron" EL34 with the skyliner EQ

IMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, you plink plonk fellows :p I'm loading the FW now and I can't WAIT to annihilate all the high gain monsters. Kachunk chunk CHUGGACHUGCHUG \m/

The other immediate standout for me is the tremolo.

There is clarity to it.

I play a lot of oldies and use tremolo often -- I always had a real hard time finding a tremolo pedal -- most Trem pedals add a bit of grittiness to the tone which I did not want.

It is OK for swampy blues but not for oldies.

This one sounds pretty damn good to me!

Do you feel your model compares favorably with the real deal?

Do you feel your model compares favorably with the real deal?

It is spot on

Even the default settings (bright off/bass 3.71 etc) were pretty close to how I run it.

Blown away

I have done countless gigs with that amp (so I know it's tone and nuances inside and out) -- and it is all there.

Now iI can do countless more gigs without having to haul a 70 pound amp.

My herniated disc thanks you mr. C

-L

Forgot to mention the zen drive is spot on as well

If you get a chance hit the twin with the zen drive

Zen/twin us my favorite lower gain OD tone combination

Last edited:
It is spot on

Even the default settings (bright off/bass 3.71 etc) were pretty close to how I run it.

Blown away

I have done countless gigs with that amp (so I know it's tone and nuances inside and out) -- and it is all there.

Now iI can do countless more gigs without having to haul a 70 pound amp.

My herniated disc thanks you mr. C

-L

That's so cool!

Amp is currently residing at the "FAS Science of Tone Museum" -- maybe someone there can cut a comparison clip. But I can tell you as someone that has gigged extensively with that amp -- there is no need. It is spot on.
oh.. the Twin in FW10, that's yours, LVC ? nice ! thanks for making it available !

oh.. the Twin in FW10, that's yours, LVC ? nice ! thanks for making it available !

Vintage 60's BF Twin

I got my sound back!

Drive: 3
Bass: 3.71
Level: -4

Everything untouched.

done!

Tone I have been gigging with for years in my r&B band.

Reverb/Delay etc to taste.

I am done pretty much for my gig

Preset one is my Twin
Preset two is the Dumble

I'm a bit late to the upgrade party but I see it's still in full swing.

I want to add in my congratulations to the FAS team:

- 10 is another leap forward - I know this because I'm finding that I can fall in love with any individual amp based on it's own unique characteristics. I just pick one, any one, match to a cab, tweak for a few minutes, and I'm finding myself lost in the pleasure of noodling in the rich tones. The new dynamic depth, presence, and character settings are great.

- I notice more sustain with less gain on many models with notes blooming into feedback when desired with less coaxing / volume required.

- The effects seems to be improved even though a lot of them were not touched - which makes sense cuz a better amp will improve the sound of any effect.

- I like the Fractal Bot idea - install was a breeze.

- It's great to have Axe-Edit back in stream - it's working great for me (Mac 10.7.5).

I'm not big on the fanboy stuff but ye gotta give it up when credit is due - credit is due - Congrats FAS - happy customer here.

Last edited:
Working good with the Matrix setup?

It sounds fantastic!

I have most of the main blocks dialed in on the Twin and just sounds great with the Matrix and Q12.

But that is it

Twin/Dumble combo

the Twin I already have dialed in

1. Compressor - a must
2. Phaser - to Yek's Script 90 (pretty much spot on to my MXR settings)
3. Drive (Tube Screamer -- set for very light - for slight dig in grit and presence
4. Zendrive - might loose the Zendrive and put in the BB Pre for a more Marshall crunch flavor)
5. Tremolo - dialed in
6. chorus - not dialed in yet
7. Delay - dialed in -- pretty much the same delay I use on everything - nothing fancy
8. Reverb

Done

Dumble patch -- pretty much the default patch with some very minor tweaking to the amp

I would like to put together a nice marshall patch -- nothing heavy to cover a couple of tunes I think are done with Marshalls

1. Fooled Around and Fell In Love (BB with a Twin gets pretty close)
2. Black Crowes - hard to Handle

I think both of these tunes are Marshall based - could be wrong.

Also need to come up with

1. Mutron Filter (all purpose funk machine)
2. Sitar - (think Stylistics intro to "You make feel brand new")
3. different Wahs (vox/Colorsound)

Lots of work to be done!

Also it would be great to get a controller. Will be using Scenes again next Friday unless I get an email from FAS followed with a nice brown package before Friday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom