CONGRATS: US Womens Soccer team

s0c9

Totally OT: - I was going to post on it earlier, but it wore me out watching the game.

If anyone saw the USA Women's Team 1/4 Final match versus Brazil in the Women's World Cup today.. WHAT A GAME !
USA goes up 1-0 by Brazilian own goal in 2nd minute.
Controversial penalty kick awarded to Brazil in 65th minute that also got a red card handed to USA defender.
US goalie SAVES the kick, which was then called back for a REDO after the play was over. Still trying to figure out why!
Brazil ties with penalty kick re-take and goes up 2-1 in overtime.

In injury time of second half of overtime, USA ties it 2-2 after playing one of the top teams in the world one person down - for over 55 minutes
The USA team wins 5-3 on penalty kicks!
WHAT A GAME.. .USA plays France in semi-final on Wed !

Details here.. Report: Brazil v United States - Women's World Cup - ESPN Soccernet

I'm a huge soccer fan and that was one of the best endings to soccer, or any other sport that I have ever seen. For the US to even hold off Brazil with only 10 players was a feat in itself. Then you add the injured players that were not there and the fact that they did that at the end of the game when everyone was exhausted. The referee was way too strict on both teams but the really huge impacts hit the US (red card, blocked shot that didn't count).

Really great game.

Still, the Japanese looked by far the superior team

uh, no? :)

20-30 shots on goal and the ball just doesn't go in and a defending team that does nothing but destroy the game from minute one. Germany played worse and won before. It was a very odd game.

still, that's football!
(yes, football!)

Well I don't know if the US team impressed that much and if Germany is supposed to win even if they don't play on top, but the Japan team had the best ball control of all I've watched and played with a lot of skill, heart and mind.

Well I don't know if the US team impressed that much

I dig the 'never give up'-spirit! You really had to watch the game from beginning to end to fully appreciate the outcome, I guess.

The brazilian women proved themselves to be as overrated as their male counterparts and very unsportsmanlike.

The brazilian women proved themselves to be as overrated as their male counterparts and very unsportsmanlike.
Yeah, got to agree with that. They were typically Brazilian style "rough" and some of the "acting" was impressive, including the part that got the penalty awarded.
Despite the situation, it was a "fair" result and well deserved.

uh, no? :)

20-30 shots on goal and the ball just doesn't go in and a defending team that does nothing but destroy the game from minute one. Germany played worse and won before. It was a very odd game.

still, that's football!
(yes, football!)
Got to disagree with you on that one. True, nothing appeared to want to go in, but Germany honestly never looked close to defeating Japan. Yes, I watched the entire game. Germany also did not look like they "wanted" it badly enough. It was not the German style of football I've seen over the years, and Germany is one of my all-time fav teams. I was not happy with the 1-0 loss to Spain last year.. the men's team played brilliantly up 'til then.

Germany also did not look like they "wanted" it badly enough.

you are absolutely right.
they just didn't want it badly enough.

The USA showed them how to do that. It's all in the hip... errr... head.
Psycologically the german team was messed up from the beginning. They were on top of their game during the test matches before the cup and burned out during - bad timing.

and bad coaching...

Back
Top Bottom