Confusion re: Output levels and meters

fractalz

Power User
I'm working to calibrate the outputs on my III to the same level so I can re-use block settings for "live" (In1->Amp->Out1) and "re-amp" (In4->Amp->Out4) paths in the studio.

My plan is to capture the DI via Out3 copy In1, and reamp via In4->Amp->Out4.

I want to make sure the same output levels are achieved on both paths (so the recorded signal lands at the same level in either case).

What I'm observing is that the output levels of Out4 are very low compared to what the Out4 level meter reads.

Patch: Synth block (sine wave @500Hz 0dB) -> Out1, Out4

Out4 block level meter reads -6dB
DAW level meter reads -30dB

I expected to get -6dB at the DAW and not sure what I may be doing / thinking incorrectly.

Other useful info:

Out4 reference level -10dBV
Out4 level knob all the way up
Out4 -> UA Apollo w/-10dBV reference level
DAW Logic Pro X

Attachments

• Level Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Outputs 3 and 4 are designed to be "unity gain" and have less output level than 1 and 2. You can compensate by increasing the level in the output block.

Also, Outputs 3 and 4 don't have "reference levels". They have Boost/Pad controls to allow you to boost the D/A level and pad down commensurately to improve SNR when using them as outputs to preamps, etc.

I'm using the Synth block as a reference for a loud signal. If I can't get a -6dB sine wave over -30dB things won't work with the Amp block.
Outputs 3 and 4 are designed to be "unity gain" and have less output level than 1 and 2. You can compensate by increasing the level in the output block.

Also, Outputs 3 and 4 don't have "reference levels". They have Boost/Pad controls to allow you to boost the D/A level and pad down commensurately to improve SNR when using them as outputs to preamps, etc.

I think I figured this out. I calibrated Out1 to match Out2 using the Synth block and the Out 1 hardware knob and then set the Amp level to taste. I'm getting good levels (and, more importantly, the *same* level) out of both outputs.

I guess I was confused by the Output block "level" meters that read RED and +8dB when the DAW registers -12dB.

Outputs 3 and 4 are designed to be "unity gain". If you turn the Level knob all the way up on the front panel and hook Input 1 to Output 3/4 whatever you put in to Input 1 you'll get the same out. If you put 1V in you'll get 1V out. This is particularly useful when using four-cable method, etc.

Outputs 3 and 4 are designed to be "unity gain". If you turn the Level knob all the way up on the front panel and hook Input 1 to Output 3/4 whatever you put in to Input 1 you'll get the same out. If you put 1V in you'll get 1V out. This is particularly useful when using four-cable method, etc.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Is there any rhyme or reason to the level meters in the output blocks? They don't seem to match what I'm reading on any of my other equipment. I'm always watching out for clipping inside of the Axe and these meters make me very nervous!

Back
Top Bottom