Configuring external switches with your MFC-101

What a wonderful video, thank you.
BTW, the EXT4MFC can still be ordered, it just needs enough people who want one to begin a batch.
I tried few months ago to start another run but eventually had to cancel it dew to lake of interest.
Anyway, thanks for making this, great video.

Thanks for taking the time to make this vid. Like you I consider myself very tech savvy but I too was struggling with the External Switches.

I've had my MFC MKII for years and built 2x 2 switch boxes back then to go with it. I never really put them to use because I didn't care for the feel of the switches or maybe I couldn't get them to work properly, I can't remember. Although I was using one switch as Tap Tempo/Tuner. So today I installed the new Axe Firmware which sounded so damned good it inspired me to update my tired old presets which inspired me to change up some things on my MFC.

Enter the External Switches. My problem was I did not realize my switches were momentary. After watching your short and to the point vid I realized that was the problem.

Thanks again!

Should I buy (4) momentary or latching switches for use with my MFC-101 Mark III? My need is to add (4) IA functionality... Thanks for the help...

I just added an external switch to my MFC-101, specifically as a pass thru to control my lighting DMX program. All I really want is to have a switch to toggle one light scene (all off). Switch is working, Axe and MAC is receiving MIDI data, DMX program "sees" the MIDI data and stores it for the scene but it's not engaging the scene.

Think I just figured out the DMX program wants a PC message, and I think the external switch is sending a CC message- does that sound right? Any way my external switch can send a PC message? Thanks guys!

I just added an external switch to my MFC-101, specifically as a pass thru to control my lighting DMX program. All I really want is to have a switch to toggle one light scene (all off). Switch is working, Axe and MAC is receiving MIDI data, DMX program "sees" the MIDI data and stores it for the scene but it's not engaging the scene.

Think I just figured out the DMX program wants a PC message, and I think the external switch is sending a CC message- does that sound right? Any way my external switch can send a PC message? Thanks guys!
I don't think an external switch can send a PC... But I'm not positive.

Update - took some digging on another forum, but finally found out my issue is not what I thought at all. The lighting software (myDMX 2.1) requires midi "Note On" messages to change scenes (which is what I am looking for), and requires "CC' to control channels directly (which doesn't help me).

So now my question is - in Axe-FX Mode, can my MFC-101 send "Note On" midi commands? I don't think an external switch will, but I could use one of my IA's if it would work. I tried looking into the manual at 12.4.11 IA Switch Custom MIDI Messages, and got completely lost almost immediately... was thinking to use Midi Channel 16, Note On, any note, any velocity. Tried 9F 01 01, got nothin...

Your 'velocity' might need to be over half for your DMX controller to recognize it as an 'ON' command?

Try 9F 01 7F

Appreciate the input. Tried new Note command with 7F, no luck. I'm going to dive into the MFC manual some more, see if anything stands out.

Thanks for the video. I too was struggling. I wanted to have my looper record and stop/play assigned to external switches 3&4 on my MFC. I assigned record to XS3 (switch 3) - #28 (CC for looper record) and XS4 (switch 4) - #29 (CC for looper play). In the Midi XS4 Off/On parameter of the MFC Off is 000 and On to 127. On the first stop of a playback I have to push the button twice to stop the playback, not sure why. I've tried flipping Off to 127 and On to 000 and I didn't make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom