Confession of a Luddite

axepilot

Inspired
I play in a working band with my Axe FX. Right now, I still have 7.04 loaded in it..............................................and I have my patches dialed into perfection and my rig puts big smiles on my face gig after gig.. I fear upgrading the firmware at the risk of losing what I have.

Am I a Luddite, fearing change? :lol:

Or am I missing out on things with the new firmware?

If you upgrade the firmware, be ready and willing to spend some time tweaking your patches to get them back the way you want (there *are* changes that affect existing patches). However, once you get there, you will have an even bigger smile on your face.

Also, don't be afraid to upload the firmware, and try it out for a short while. If you don't like it, or otherwise wish to postpone the required work to get your patches dialed in, you can revert the firmware back to 7.04 (it's just as easy as loading the new firmware).

I'm tempted...............but not for a few weeks - gigs booked.

I guess I can save my patches to the editor before I upgrade the firmware.

IMO, the main change that will most affect the sound of your patches is those made to the amp block's Presence and Depth (might still be called "Deep" with the firmware you're on - not sure) controls. Luckily after I (and a few others.........but it was mostly me :mrgreen: ) bitched and moaned about not liking them, Cliff made the changes optional. After you upgrade, just go to the amp block's advanced menu page in your patches, scroll down and set the new "Pres/Depth Type” parameter to "Active" and that will put those controls back to how they sound right now with the firmware you are using.

The other thing is the Drive blocks (they were vastly improved)... if you don't use them, then you don't have to worry about updating.

Man - I am EXACTLY THE SAME!

I don't have much free time these days and haven't done a firmware upgrade in months (not since like 7.04 or earlier). I know that since that time, the compressor, drives, and amps have been vastly changed. I use maybe 90 or more patches live at various times, as I have a cover band that knows a million songs in all different styles. In the year + that I've owned my Ultra, I have been slowly honing my patches to all be the exact correct volume levels relative to each other in live situations. I am DYING to hear the new firmware, but I keep "chickening out" as I just know that if I upgrade, I've got weeks and weeks of my free time out the window trying to get my volumes and sounds all fixed again. I have regular gigs and can't find the time to even attempt it. I LOVE how Cliff is always improving this unit, but I'm frustrated that I don't have the time to adjust everything after I upgrade. I've got 2 little kids at home and NEVER have hours and hours to just sit and tweak uninterrupted any more. I've even considered calling out sick from my day job once to try and do it all in 1 day. I'm guessing that doing THAT won't even provide me with enough time.

Having said that, it's a GOOD problem to have. :D I'd rather have the options than not.

browlett said:

I don't have much free time these days and haven't done a firmware upgrade in months (not since like 7.04 or earlier). I know that since that time, the compressor, drives, and amps have been vastly changed. I use maybe 90 or more patches live at various times, as I have a cover band that knows a million songs in all different styles. In the year + that I've owned my Ultra, I have been slowly honing my patches to all be the exact correct volume levels relative to each other in live situations. I am DYING to hear the new firmware, but I keep "chickening out" as I just know that if I upgrade, I've got weeks and weeks of my free time out the window trying to get my volumes and sounds all fixed again. I have regular gigs and can't find the time to even attempt it. I LOVE how Cliff is always improving this unit, but I'm frustrated that I don't have the time to adjust everything after I upgrade. I've got 2 little kids at home and NEVER have hours and hours to just sit and tweak uninterrupted any more. I've even considered calling out sick from my day job once to try and do it all in 1 day. I'm guessing that doing THAT won't even provide me with enough time.

Having said that, it's a GOOD problem to have. :D I'd rather have the options than not.
Simple solution? Buy a second Axe-Fx, and tweak at your leisure with the new firmware... :lol:

Finaldo said:
browlett said:

Simple solution? Buy a second Axe-Fx, and tweak at your leisure with the new firmware... :lol:

Even simpler - Back-up your patches, upgrade, if you don't like what you hear or it's too much work, load your old firmware back in and restore your old patches!

Even simpler - Back-up your patches, upgrade, if you don't like what you hear or it's too much work, load your old firmware back in and restore your old patches!

POB,

I'm gonna' do that, actually. I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that this is the only and best solution for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom