Computers not finding my Axe-FX

grandinq

Power User
Over the last few days, I've run into an odd problem. Though I have made no changes in my setup, when I turn on my XL+ my computer thinks I'm adding a new device. On top of that, it can't find the drivers, and as a result I can't get into Axe-Edit. This happened on my desktop (running XP) and my laptop (Windows 10).

I've had to uninstall the USB drivers and install them again to get things working. On the old XP desktop, this hasn't worked all of the time.

Like I said, this is puzzling because I haven't changed any settings on the XL+ or either computer, Just started happening. At first I thought it might be the USB cable, but it didn't matter if I switched that out and besides, the computer was recognizing **something** was there when I turned it on. Then I thought it might be the old desktop, but when it started happening on the less-than-a-year-old laptop with a different OS, I ruled that out.

Any ideas as to why it would this would be happening?

I've had this happen periodically with my Windows 10 machine (Surface Pro) when switching between docks... it's like it doesn't init the new USB devices/hubs sometimes. I believe it's an issue with Windows 10, possibly from a recent update (like the Fall Creators Update).

Have you run the install of the drivers as 'Administrator'?

I will double check on that.

Last night I reinstalled on the XP computer, did some tinkering, shut off the Axe but left the computer on, and when I came back an hour later and turned it on the computer wanted to install new hardware again. That one was a first.

I've had this happen periodically with my Windows 10 machine (Surface Pro) when switching between docks... it's like it doesn't init the new USB devices/hubs sometimes. I believe it's an issue with Windows 10, possibly from a recent update (like the Fall Creators Update).

Yeah I’ve got that update so that might explain the laptop issue.

I am still completely frustrated by this. I have uninstalled, reinstalled as an administrator, I've tried all the things in this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-working-error-105-trying-to-install.113460/

But still, I can't get this to work overall. *Something* worked last night I was up and running on my Win 10 laptop. But this morning when I booted up the laptop, turned on the Axe Fx, and opened Axe Edit, it wasn't connected. I had left the Axe USB cable connected. Nothing had changed except last night I turned the laptop and Axe off (can't leave them both permanently on and connected, as I use the laptop for other things and I transport the Axe to band rehearsal).

If this is some sort of Win 10 problem, then I feel completely stuck. It is crippling not to be able to use Axe-Edit.

Update: I bought a nice new USB cable. Alas, that was not the problem, as the same thing is happening.

The crux of the issue is that when I pug in the XL+, the computer doesn't recognize it. It makes that little Windows chirp to tell me something was plugged in, but that is all. I never get the "found new hardware" process. I put the drivers in first before connecting the Axe -- or is that wrong?

I'm not sure how to mark a thread as "Solved" -- but I am all set with this now. Fractal support helped me out with this.

What simple part? I have spent more time trying to resolve this exact issue than I have playing on my new axe fx. Nothing seems to work

I don’t remember exactly. I brought it to FAS and they opened it up and figured it out. If it’s new it would still be under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom