Computer USB system audio processed through the grid?

shatteredsquare

Power User
I'm using the AFX3 as an audio interface and I want to send computer USB system audio through the grid, and monitor ONLY the grid audio (output 1) from the headphone jack, muting the dry system audio. Is there a way to do that?

See the manual.

that doesn't answer the posted question. I've read the manual and still haven't been able to accomplish the needed outcome. That's why a user would post a question here. I can't figure out how to get system audio onto the grid, posting here in the hopes that someone will know how, if it's possible.

What do you mean by "dry system audio" ?

computer system audio, unprocessed. using the AFX3 as an interface, system audio comes straight out of output 1. I want to route it through the grid.

How do you get USB audio onto the grid?

I'm using the AFX3 as an audio interface and I want to send computer USB system audio through the grid, and monitor ONLY the grid audio (output 1) from the headphone jack, muting the dry system audio. Is there a way to do that?
See the manual.
It's on page 20 of the manual. Here's the screen shot.
Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 12.06.21 AM.png
You need to set your computer's default audio output channels to 7 and 8, instead of 1 and 2. If you're on a Mac, it's in the "Audio MIDI setup" app. On PC, it's in System > Sound, and you can even change the audio output on a per-app basis if you like (e.g. if you always use Chrome for watching YouTube, you can set Chrome to output sound to Axe FX III Outputs 7+8).

Then just insert a USB input block on the grid, and connect it to your signal chain.

@getlostinsound Windows 10 doesn't show any option for selecting output channels of the audio output devices, it just shows 'spatial sound' or 'disable' options for the "Axe-Fx III speakers". Looking in both the cartoon style 'settings' menu, or in the old style 'control panel' device properties section, where is windows channel 7+8 output buried at?

I think I'm missing something called "stereo mix" in the sound settings, it's not even showing up

Last edited:
@getlostinsound Windows 10 doesn't show any option for selecting output channels of the audio output devices, it just shows 'spatial sound' or 'disable' options for the "Axe-Fx III speakers". Looking in both the cartoon style 'settings' menu, or in the old style 'control panel' device properties section, where is windows channel 7+8 output buried at?
EDIT: Ah, try this:
https://support.native-instruments....nts-Audio-Interface-as-System-Output-Windows-

The Axe-Fx III only shows up as "speakers". If you right click and dive into properties, there doesn't seem to be an area to select different output channels anywhere using windows 10. Has anyone ever routed USB system audio onto the grid?

3xmft2.jpg

MOTU AVB audio interfaces provide powerful mixing and routing options to meet a variety of audio scenarios. The Routing matrix found in the Routing Tab of the MOTU AVB Discovery App allows you to route signal to and from all of the available inputs and outputs on your interface.

Along with the physical inputs and outputs on the device itself, the built-in 48-channel on-board digital mixer, and any enabled banks of AVB audio streams, the To Computer and From Computer audio streams are important I/O options to be familiar with, as they are required for sending signal to or from your computer.

The Audio Interface device preset provides a default setting to send audio to and from your computer, however for further control, a deeper understanding of the relationship between these audio streams and your computer is necessary.

so where in windows 10 do you go to see the separate Axe-Fx III USB audio channels? They show up in the DAW no problem, 5+6 and 7+8, never had a problem getting DAW audio back onto the grid. Where do yo u go to see the Axe-Fx III audio channels visible, and get Windows 10 system audio to output on USB channels 7+8?

so where in windows 10 do you go to see the separate Axe-Fx III USB audio channels? They show up in the DAW no problem, 5+6 and 7+8, never had a problem getting DAW audio back onto the grid. Where do yo u go to see the Axe-Fx III audio channels visible, and get Windows 10 system audio to output on USB channels 7+8?
I could be wrong - maybe it isn't possible. I'm going off experience with other audio interfaces in Windows, but I am using a Mac with my Axe FX III, so I haven't tried this. I'll try messing around with my FM3 with a Windows machine a little later today and see what I find.

You must send the audio to USB channels 5/6 or 7/8. On the Mac, do this with "configure speakers" in Audio MIDI Setup. On windows....I've never been able to find a way to do this for system audio on windows. It's trivial to do that from within a DAW of course, so if you could get your system audio into your DAW via a loopback mechanism (Something like VB-Cable), that would work.

Last edited:
For OSX, easy, just change speaker output to use 7/8 and then toss the USB block on the grid. Windows, not so much. I think you posted a while back to use the Virtual Audio cable and Banana (whatever it's called) for Window 10. That is the only way I can do the same routing on Windows. OSX it's a breeze. Windows, you need 5 other programs installed and a bunch of funky configuration. There is no option to just send audio to different outputs on Windows. At least that I can find.

a deeper understanding of the relationship between these audio streams and your computer is necessary.

what mountain do i climb to gain a deeper understanding of where windows allows the user to change the USB system audio output channel of the AFX3 when using it as the default audio device?

There’s Asio which your daw uses and there is wdm which it what windows uses. The axe usb driver only gives 2 channels in wdm. What you’re trying to do isn’t possible the way you want.

this is so cool! I was just listening to a talk by Stephen King and decided to try this. Pitched him down 5 semitones and added a little chorus... so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom